Top 50 Rock Albums

musiclover

Just received new Sound and Vision magazine. It had their top 50 albums of all time. Guess it can be viewed at their web site, soundandvisionmag.com.

I couldn/t believe I had all the 50 albums listed. There is usually some off the wall stuff, but all in this list I had heard of and have. I agree with most of them, but didn/t have any Steely Dan, Neil Young or Bob Dylan or the Doors. I will list the top 20: 1) Beatles--Revolver, 2) Bob Dylan--Blonde on Blonde, 3) Jimi Hendrix--Electric Ladyland, 4) Rolling Stones--Let It Bleed, 5) Bob Dylan--Highway 61 Revisited, 6) Beatles--Sgt. Peppers, 7) The Who--Who's Next, 8) Derek & Dominos--Layla & Assorted Love Songs, 9) Led Zeppelin--Led Zeppelin IV, 10) Velvet Underground--Velvet Underground & Nico, 11) Elvis Costello--This Year's Model, 12) The Clash--London Calling, 13) Nirvana--Nevermind, 14) Pink Floyd--Dark Side of Moon, 15) Rolling Stones--Exile on Main St., 16) Led Zeppelin--Led Zeppelin II, 17) Love--Forever Changes, 18) Bruce Springsteen--Born to Run, 19) Jimi Hendrix--Are You Experienced, 20) Beatles--Rubber Soul. Others can be viewed at their site. These are all great.

I found the article quite interesting also. I have many, but not all, of those albums. It occurred to me that the author(s) must be fairly old, like some of us geezers on this forum. I imagine that many younger readers of S&V can't understand why so many "dinosaurs" were listed, and why there was no mention of Eminem, Beyonce, Snoop, and many others of this decade.[;)] Maybe those will be on the list in 2038.

Got a link for this list? I can't find it on their website. I own all the to 20.

Not being a geezer, I do find it funny that all the greatest albums came from a span of about 10 years. Except Nirvana's Nevermind, of course. Because everyone knows how absolutely perfect that album is [8-)].

I wouldn't expect Eminem, Beyonce or Snoop to be on the Top 50 Rock albums, though.

I own all of the top 20 anyway, I'd like to see the rest.

I can/t find it on their website either, so I will list rest for fellow forum members: 21) AC/DC--Back In Black, 22) Iggy and the Stooges--Raw Power, 23) Beach Boys--Pet Sounds, 24) Rolling Stones--Sticky Fingers, 25) The Who--Quadrophenia, 26) Rolling Stones--Beggars Banquet, 27) The Who-Tommy, 28) John Lennon--Plastic Ono Band, 29) The Doors--The Doors, 30) The Beatles--White Album, 31) Television--Marquee Moon, 32) Yes-Close to the Edge 33) The Band--Music From Big Pink, 34)Joni Mitchell--Blue, 35) The Zombies--Odessey and Oracle, 36) Marvin Gaye--What's Going On, 37) THe Band--The Band, 38) U2-Joshua Tree, 39) Traffic--John Barleycorn Must Die, 40)REM--Murmur, 41) Moby Grape--Moby Grape, 42) Fleetwood Mac--Rumours, 43) Big Star--Radio City, 44) Pretenders--The Pretenders, 45) Genesis--Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, 46) The Kinks--Something Else, 47)Queen--Night at the Opera, 48) Stevie Wonder--Innervisions, 49) Radiohead--OK Computer, 50) Prince--Purple Rain. I was wrong, it did have Doors album. Kinda sad all the great albums were made years ago. I feel sorry for people who do reviews in music magazines today. Been so long since heard album that compare to most of these. I/m gonna pull out a bunch of these and start playing them.

It occurred to me that the author(s) must be fairly old, like some of us geezers on this forum.

# 4 on their "old geezer" list... Electric Ladyland [Y]..... Interestingly.... my daughter's "boyfriend" was over a couple weeks ago. They were sitting around sniveling about how their iPod tunes sounded so good, etc. Ok.... So, I wanted to make sure that he had a chance to see what he was missing via the ole earbuds.... so I took him into the "Wall of Voodoo".... Put on Hendrix "Voodoo Child - A Slight Return" and sat him down in stereo center... "Wow" was all he could say for a few minutes.... He's a convert, both for old R&R and Klipsch..... He now wants to get a good job when he graduates from college so he can afford (a) good Klipsch speakers, and (B) support my daughter in the manner to which she wishes to be accustomed....[;)]

I have a 19 year old son that is starting to like my classic rock albums. Makes me proud, lol. He likes my klipsch speakers also. They just don/t make albums like most of these anymore. I try to listen to some of the new stuff, but most doesn/t do anything for me. I/m sure some of them are our age, but have seen list on Rolling Stone and other magazines etc., and most of these are on their lists also. I love turning that Hendrix album up loud. All Along the Watchtower is great stereo also. Don/t know if i would have put Genesis Lamb lies down on broadway. I/ve got it on CD, but only few cuts do anything for me. Most critics put a van morrison album on there top lists, but wasn/t on here. Keep playing those classic tunes. Let me know if anything new worth buying.

I hate those lists. And yes, Van Morrison, Moondance should be up there.

WAAAAAAY too many Stones albums. I'd also put Axis Bold As Love above other Hendrix LPs but that's just me.

No Grateful Dead even though they didn't sell.....IMO, any Grateful Dead album blows away Prince!! But hey, that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

Santanna’s Abraxas, Rickie Lee Jones’ inaugural album, Sheryl Crow’s Tuesday Night Music Club first album, Beatles’ One (their first #1 album), Stevie Wonder’s Songs in the Key of Life, Andrew Lloyd Weber’s Jesus Christ: Superstar, Supertramps’ Crime of the Century, no Aerosmith, no Yardbirds, The Cranberries, Simply Red, Enya?

• 3 weeks later...

Have to wholeheartedly agree on Santana's Abraxas. Surprised that no J Giles - "Full House" or Uriah Heep - "Look at yourself" or even some Crosby/Stills/Nash and Young. For those who like Hendrix/Dylan's All Along the WatchTower, check out Savage Grace's version. It'll make the hair stand straight up on your neck. Their ending is one of rocks all time best. Savage Grace's All Along the Watch Tower is why God made Klipsch.

• 1 month later...

I agree with Colin--Steely Dan's Aja should be on that list definately.

Queen's Night at the Opera is on the list and I'm happy to see that. That album is incredible on so many different levels. The song "Good Company" was recorded one note at a time (according to guitarist Brian May) and he used the guitar to play the parts of a Dixieland Jazz Band--wouldn't believe it if I hadn't heard him say it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...