Klipsch RF7 / RC7 Amplifier Recommendations

erikill

I just moved a pair of my RF-7's into my bedroom system......powered by 200 watt Marantz monoblocks.

This has been yet another reminder that all the 200 watt amps I've tried with RF-7's..........none of them could do what my Crown amps can on RF-7's.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I found this thread. I'm running my RF-7s off a QSC PLX2402 amp, and it really does make them sing.

Posted Image

I just ordered a new Outlaw pre/pro and was planning to add an Outlaw 7 channel amp and selling my QSC, but maybe I should go with a 5 channel amp and keep the 7s on the QSC?

Regardless, I've got nothing but good things to say about the QSC. If you're looking for a dedicated amp for thr 7s, you can't go wrong with one.

Running mine off a B&K Reference 200.7 (200 watts x 7) and I friggan love this thing with my RF-7s. I've had it for a few years now, and don't anticipate "upgrading" anytime soon (can't think what I'd even "upgrade" it to anyway - can't imagine any of these others would really be all that much better, and more than likely, would be worse). Now, granted it was a bit more than the $800 or so that Emotive unit is going for. However, I would not mind giving that Emotive unit a listen one of these days to see how it is.

I'm a huge Emotiva fan and have recently restructured my sound systems. I had XPA-2, XPA-3 for 5.1 in my HT and wanted to put a decent 3.1 in the living room for the occasional movie. So I sent the XPA-3 to the living room and replaced it with two XPA-2's, they are on sale now with free shipping. So I'm running 5.1 with three XPA-2's, bi-amping the RC-7 to make use of the extra channel. This gives me 1500 watts to feed five RF series speakers, definitely overkill but the headroom is as high as a cathedral ceiling .... :) . For those not familiar with Emotiva's XPA line, the XPA-2 is closer to the flagship XPA-1 monoblock than the XPA-3/-5, there are differences between them.

Thats interesting that you chose to run 3 xpa-2's with your reference 7 series. I have RF-7 mains, RC-7 center, RS-7 surrounds, and RS-3II rears (soon to be rb-75's) and two RSW-15 subs. I emailed Lonnie (GM of Emotiva) about which amps I should get for my speakers. After studying up, I narrowed my choices down to: 1) an xpa-2 for the fronts, and an xpa-5 for the other 5 speakers, which would give me 200 wpc to my center and surrounds, and 250 wpc to my RF-7's. My other choice: 2) was to get two xpa-5's and biamp the front three giving me 400 wpc to the front three speakers, and still leave 200 watts to each of my four surrounds (ten channels total at 200wpc). Both of these amps are the same price, so price is not a factor. I then emailed Lonnie to get his advice, because nobody in the world knows more about emotiva amps then this man! This was his reply to me:

"In regards to your system, I would suggest using 2) of the XPA-5 amps and bi-amping your main speakers and center channel. They XPA-2 has a lot of power but due to the higher rails within the unit the noise floor is slightly higher than on the XPA-5. It isn’t much but enough that when connected to Klipsch horns you can hear a hiss, so the XPa-5 is a far better choice for you."

Since the XPA-5's are a "far better choice" over the XPA-2 for my Klipsch speakers- I will be ordering two XPA-5's! Lonnie was a big help, their customer service is second to none.

i am in the same boat as you tonysly.....

i have an LPA-1 bi-amped to my front 3 speakers.....250w per speaker or 125w per tweeter and woofer...

i think you are mistaken about the xpa-5 and the wattage. if you bi-amp it, you will get 400w to the mains and 200w to the center. unless you also hook up to the otheramp.

i have been toying with which emotiva amps to run my set up.....

use the lpa-1 to run my rear 4 speaker......i will do this....

then either.....

xpa-5 bi-amp mains (400w) and have 200w for center.....or

xpa-5 and just use 3 channels 250w per.....or

upa-7 bi-amp front 3 270w per or 135w per tweeter and woofer....

i spoke to tech and they said, if i like how it sounds now, get the upa-7 (it's the same amp) but they reccemended getting the xpa-5 because it was a much better amp. i guess it comes down to my ears....those two amps are only $100 apart.

Inventor, sounds like you will have a nice setup any way you decide to go. To clear things up, yes, I would be using both xpa-5's which gives me 10 channels of 200 watts. I would use one channel for each of the 4 surrounds, which leaves me 6 channels left. I would then use two channels to each RF-7 and the RC-7, so 400 watts for each of the front 3 speakers, and 200 watts to each of the 4 surrounds. I have heard it is a good thing to give the same wattage to the front 3, especially since my system is used 95% for movies and TV, with only occasional 2 channel music blasting when the better half is gone :)

• 3 weeks later...

Mine will be here on Wednesday Dec 31

roaddog, I am curious have you checked your FedEx tracking recently? Mine was originally an expected Dec 31st delivery but FedEx later changed it to Jan 5th. My FedEx tracking has not even updated since the 26th. Odd for FedEx, maybe because of the holidays they are backed up and running slower than usual.

Dec 26, 2008 7:15 PM Arrived at FedEx
Dec 24, 2008 2:02 PM Picked up NASHVILLE, TN
10:01 AM Package data
transmitted to FedEx
9:39 AM In
FedEx possession
BRENTWOOD, TN Tendered at FedEx location