Cleaning Sticker Gunk Off Of CD / LP Covers

BLSamuel

I'm sure others have bought a nice CD or LP only to have a nasty sticker on it that doesn't easily peel off cleanly. With most CDs in jewel boxes it's probably more of a problem with LPs. With a jewel box one can easily replace it. Of course the cardboard CD cases have pretty much the same problem as an LP.

Any recommendations for cleaning off the nasty gunk? Many labels leave a residue even if one can clean the label off somewhat cleanly.

I've had pretty good luck with mineral oil but I'm afraid that would damage the cover.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about, a CD from the Goodwill store where my mother-out-law lives.

Gunky Label

I'm sure others have bought a nice CD or LP only to have a nasty sticker on it that doesn't easily peel off cleanly. With most CDs in jewel boxes it's probably more of a problem with LPs. With a jewel box one can easily replace it. Of course the cardboard CD cases have pretty much the same problem as an LP.

Any recommendations for cleaning off the nasty gunk? Many labels leave a residue even if one can clean the label off somewhat cleanly.

I've had pretty good luck with mineral oil but I'm afraid that would damage the cover.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about, a CD from the Goodwill store where my mother-out-law lives.

Gunky Label

Goo Gone, never heard of Goo be Gone, must be a copy. Goo Gone is made specifically for removing adhesives, a golden yellowish, clear liquid in a clear plastic

bottle with a black plastic snap close squeeze lid. Apply and let it soak in before rubbing it and the sticker away with a Goo Gone soaked rag or sock.

Roger

Why does your mother-in-law live in a Goodwill?

Heat. They keep it toasty warm, like 80 degrees in the dead of winter and there's always a few extra blankets if that's not warm enough.

(oops, I meant to type the Goodwill in the town where the monther-out-law lives)