PWK and Me

Mallette

I met PWK. Hardly anything you might call an bosom relationship, as it lasted about 2 hours...but it was QUALITY time and life changing for me.

About 1970 I was going to school at Sourthern State College, Magnolia, AR. I attended the little mission parish of Episcoplians where the vicar was Fr. Bill Risinger, Rector of the parish PWK attended in Hope. Fr. Bill once lurked here (DRBILL) though I've lost touch with him. I served as lay reader and assisted with the services, so we got to know each other pretty well. As he'd apprencticed to an organ builder at one time, I had much to learn from him and we discussed music in addition to theology (about which I also learned much from him). I'd been introduced to the Klipschorn by the presence of one in the music appreciation classroom and was astonished at it's sound. In discussions with Fr. Bill, he finally said he could arrange a visit to the plant if I was interested. Duh.

Paul's office in the old plant was a wonderfully messy place stacked with books, papers, amps, drivers, and dreams. He was about 70 at the time, and filled with boyish spit and vinegar. He had an old slide projector on his desk that had diagrams of his designs and such in it for briefings. He took the time to explain his entire research to us as though we were the first to hear it and were important investors or something. Every few slides there was a an old Kodachrome of a bathing beauty which he'd grumble over with a "What's THAT doing in here?" in mock surprise, then move on. It wasn't funny to a couple of hippie college students, but we laughed anyway. The one speaker I asked about was a small, grey box, obviously horn loaded. When I asked about it, he identified it as a "Dixielander" and replied (I thought I heard) that it was no longer made. What I now believe is that he said it "was not made here" and left it at that. For many years, I believed the Frazier Dixielander to be a Klipsch product. Why not?

It was SO quiet in the plant. I finally asked him if it were a day off or something. He replied they only cut would about once a week, and everything else was done by hand. As we walked through, workers were assembling cabinets, hand sanding, and finishing...perhaps the very Klipschorns that grace my music room right now, as they were built about that time.

We eventually wound up in the lab. There was a big Ampex 450 R2R console and Marantz tube amps (can't recall...may have been 5's) behind a glass window. First, he demonstrated corner re-enforcement. He had a small loudspeaker with a handle on it he would hold in the corner, then move down the wall. The change in bass was apparent even to uneducated ears still wet. The little thing sounded great, so I asked him about it. He said it was calle a "Midget" and was made by a guy named Jack Frazier. He also allowed that Jack was about the only other designer he had real respect for...but not to tell anybody.

Next, he cranked up the Ampex with a half-track, 15ips recording of E. Power Biggs playing the Franck "Organ" Symphony. Of course, I was totally transfixed and awed by the ocean of sound. During one of the loud passages, I leaned over and shouted in his ear "How much power is being applied?" He glance over at the VU meters and responded, "Oh, about 5 watts."

The day ended too soon and I was ruined for life. He handed me a BS button and a copy of the '8 Card" which I still treasure. Within a few months, I visited the newly opened "SoundTowne" in Texarkana in search of speakers. Heresy was the cheapest thing Klipsch had at the time and WAY out of reach for a guy who couldn't even afford a car. However, they had Frazier. I purchased, for about 200.00, a pair of Monte Carlos which I still have. It would be many years before I would have Klipschorns, but there was never any doubt after that day.

Dave
  • Like 1

>Thanks for continuing my thread that was ruined by obnoxious *** trolls. What is the 8 card you mention that PWK handed you?

What thread? :-). Please don't mention it, and I FORBID anyone to comment on it and get my thread locked!

The original Audio Engineering Society paper was called "Eight cardinal points in loudspeakers for sound reproduction" and appeared, I think, in 1947. For reasons I do not understand, my own "Six Cardinal Rules in Sound Acquisition," poor stepchild as it is, gets more hits in Google. I find it hard to believe it is still copyrighted, or even if it is that Klipsch wouldn't have it available for download. Maybe AES still owns it and holds it close. Anyway, very strange. I found a link by Gil McDermott from 1999 to a PDF on the Forum...but the link had either been removed or lost over the years.

Perhaps Amy, Trey, Andy, or some other staff member can help?

It's the book of Genesis for Hornheads, and shouldn't be so hard to find. I'd PDF mine and put it up, but until I find out the status I fear AES guys in suits and dark glasses might come calling on me with directional sound weapons armed with Myren Florin.

Dave

• Moderators

Thanks for continuing my thread that was ruined by obnoxious *** trolls. What is the 8 card you mention that PWK handed you?

Please stop the name calling and baiting. It will not be tolerated here from anyone. Stick to the topic at hand.

Thank you!

• Moderators

Nice story Dave, we had tried to talk DrBill into writing a book but never could, I think his biggest problem was his relationship to Mr Paul, many of the conversations were in confidence and the line between that and friends was a little blurry.

I know Roy and J Hunter could add a lot of stories. The book that's already out is OK but there are so many more personal stories that could be included that make a better book.

I have a copy and read that book. I was completely disappointed. I think it missed the character of the man completely. TBHWY I feel I know him better than the author of the book just from the couple of hours I spent with him.

His presence was, well,...legendary.

Dave

Thanks...it worked! http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/3/442564/Eight%20Cardinal%20Points%20by%20PWK4.pdf

That one should be direct.

Anyway, the Mad Cow has me and it was the Institute of Radio Engineers, not AES.

Every Klipsch fan should read this. Until you do, you don't have an understanding of what PWK meant by "BS." This was his revelation and the entire foundation of the "Legend."

To the extent that you disagree, you may have your choice of:

1. Higher distortion.

2. Lower efficiency.

3. Higher costs.

4. BS.

5. All of the above.

Dave

Thanks for sharing! I was interested in this post primarily because I had the good fortune to have had a factory tour by PWK right around the same time. But it is truly a small world!. When I was lurking around in about 2004 I had no earthly idea the DrBill was Fr. Bill Risinger! The organ bulider to which he apprenticed to was a gentleman named Lecile Gibson who is alive and well, living in Little Rock with his K-horns. My brother in law apprenticed with him as well and worked with Fr Risinger during the early 60's. All of these guys had a relationship with PWK.

Like you, it would be many, many years before I would have a heritage model (can't fit K-horns) but there was never any doubt.

Small world, indeed! Fr./Dr. Bill is quite a unique person. He introduced me to wider theology (gospel of Thomas, etc when such things were almost unknown) and many other things. He had a habit of rocking on his feet as he preached I noticed an (in best Sherlock Holmes tradition) I was able to confirm he was of Church of Christ background. I learned a lot about organ construction from him, and enjoyed meals and conversation with him and his wife at the Hope rectory.

He contacted me out of the blue on the list around 03 or so whe I was still living in Flower Mound (DFW area) and I was blown away. Never could seem to get together, to my disappointment, and he's been rather reclusive since. I'm sure he has his reasons. One may guess that he has deep knowledge of the loves and life of PWK and holds those confidences closely.

Anyway, if you still lurk in these waters, thank you, Rev. Dr. Bill, for music, enlightened theology, and most of all, the gift of THOUGHT...with which the other two come naturally anyway!

Dave

The original Audio Engineering Society paper was called "Eight cardinal points in loudspeakers for sound reproduction" and appeared, I think, in 1947.

Thanks for sharing that story, Dave!

A forum member sent me this La Scala ad which appears to list the eight cardinal points in brief form. It's from 1975. It sounds like PWK had great respect for Bell Laboratories. Are they still considered leaders in sound reproduction research?

post-23736-13819437875836_thumb.jpg