Rate all of Klipsch speakers from Best to Worst including every series

Batmans Robin

Short answer, whatever sounds best to you. That's the most accurate response I can give. Anything more is just personal preference, and what I prefer someone else might not.

Long answer:

I don't believe you can define a "best" speaker without defining a lot of other criteria first. You already said unlimited budget and power in an 8x10 room, but what kind of sound is "best?" Some people prefer a bright sound, while others would call it harsh. Some people like lots of bass, while others consider it boomy. Do you like a sound that is as accurate a reproduction of the original recording as possible? Is it permissible for the speaker to color the sound at all? Adding a warmth, depth or other aspect that may not have originally been recorded. All recordings degrade from reality from the moment the sound waves hit the air, then the microphone, mic cable, and on down the list of recording, mastering, playback and finally out to your speakers. Sometimes the best approximation of the original "live" sound isn't the most accurate reproduction of the original recording.

Then you get into differences between speaker lines, like Heritage and Reference. They have a different sound, and you may prefer one to the other.

Once sound is decided, how about asthetics? The LaScala is an awesome speaker, but a seriously ugly sucker, and I mean that with respect. Think of the Wife Acceptance Factor. To some people the speaker as a piece of art is just as important as the sound it produces. These people would go after the Palladiums. They're beautiful speakers even if you never hook them up to an amp. (which would be a crime, IMO - like having a 1945 Château Mouton Rothschild and letting it turn to vinegar without drinking it)

So it really does get back to personal preference. It depends on what you like and can afford, as well as the space you have and what you want from your speakers. Everyone's list would likely be different.

OK lemme take astab at this.

Heritage is and will always be on the top of my list of Klipsch products:

LS/LS II with a sub

Klipschorn

Belle Klipsch w/ a Sub

Heresy III

Heresy I/II

Cornwall I/II/III (I am just not a big fan of the CW)

Next up would be the extended Heritage

Chorus I/II

Forte I/II

A very strange ranking indeed ! - You list the Khorn (without a Sub) in between the LA Scala and Belle with Sub (Which are basically the same speaker in different dress! - I've owned all with Sub and the Khorn Kicks both their butts. How about a Khorn with Sub?

The Heresy over the Cornwall - Even Stranger - You're trolling right ?

I don't care about the rest, so I won't comment.

Robin,

As you suggest, assuming unlimited budget, and I'm going to take some heat for this........ I'd have a pair of Maggie 20.1's and a quad of Audio Research 610T amps to drive them (you would be about $40,000 or $60,000 down by then and have no pre-amp or source). I'd take the rest of my money and build a proper room. I don't know what is the best Klipsch for you, your room is very small, a small bookshelf might be best, you'll need to have room for your bed, TV and playstation.

Thanx, Russ

Your system is "lookin good" Claude.....Bet it sounds great too!

Thanks, Mrs. Dtel. Coming from you, it's compliment in the highest order, since we all caught the "MWM disease" at the same time, eh?

BTW, for the uninitiated, MWM stands for Magnificent Woofing Machine..........and it most certainly is. Bass detail, power, emotion, just like the motto.

Robin,

As you suggest, assuming unlimited budget, and I'm going to take some heat for this........ I'd have a pair of Maggie 20.1's and a quad of Audio Research 610T amps to drive them (you would be about $40,000 or $60,000 down by then and have no pre-amp or source). I'd take the rest of my money and build a proper room. I don't know what is the best Klipsch for you, your room is very small, a small bookshelf might be best, you'll need to have room for your bed, TV and playstation.

Thanx, Russ

I'll second that Russ. Those Maggies are very special in the right room. Unlimited budget I might try bi-amping with some McIntosh MC2kw's though!!... at a cool $30K each [:o] [:P] [:D]

I'll second that Russ. Those Maggies are very special in the right room. Unlimited budget I might try bi-amping with some McIntosh MC2kw's though!!... at a cool $30K each SurpriseStick out tongueBig Smile

Maggies do sound good, but the orginal thread was asking about Klipsh speakers only. Since MWM's produce 90% of my sound energy, my "MUTTS" are all horns and still qualify.

I have to confess that when I said an 8 x 10 room, I was making a feeble attempt at humor, which is not my FORTE. I thought someone would pick up on it and good humoredly [:)] say I must be living in a cell but I guess not. Actually it is more like 14 x 22. [Y]

This is going to be more difficult than anyone could have imagined, I for one can see that. Cut-Throat (pool I hope and not assassin???) makes the good point that a Klipschorn is better than a La Scala or a Belle and maybe even more so with a sub. Perhaps we should disallow adding a sub in the evaluation because then you might get into this whole thing of a VW minibus with a Corvair engine is better than a Beetle (for you fellow children of the Sixties).

I understand the philosophy of whatever you like best is the best and it depends on everything else but what I am shooting for is how the lines overlap. I am not looking to overintellectualize this. If you investigate Heritage, I think most people will say the Klipschorn that I am familiar with is better than the La Scala that I am also familiar with. But how do they compare with for example the top Palladium or the top RF series or the top theater line? There's the rub, as Shakespeare used to say.

I have found out that Jubilee owners are BY FAR the most sensitive of Klipschheads. No one yet has appeared defensive about an RB or an RF as far as I've noticed.

I understand the philosophy of whatever you like best is the best and it depends on everything else but what I am shooting for is how the lines overlap. I am not looking to overintellectualize this. If you investigate Heritage, I think most people will say the Klipschorn that I am familiar with is better than the La Scala that I am also familiar with. But how do they compare with for example the top Palladium or the top RF series or the top theater line? There's the rub, as Shakespeare used to say.

I'll play along.

Unfortunatly, in the end, it really does ultimatly come down to just what type of sound you are looking for.

I've had some pretty good experience listening to top of the line Heritage, Palladium, and Reference (I own RF-7s myself). I've also gotten to listen to some of the KG line, as well as some of the Legend line, as well as some of the big ones that are meant for commercial theater installations. It is nearly impossible to really go into all the various lines and how they sound compared to one another. There are some generalites that I've experienced myself. The Legend series, for example, comes off pretty much in-your-face. For a heavy metaller such as myself, that can be fun to crank the hell out of once in awhile, but found it does get tiring. Also, I've found the some the of the Heritage, such as the older Cornwall Is (why I found I prefer the newer Cornwall IIs, or even better, the IIIs - which I would like to get a pair for myself eventually) line to sometimes come off a bit "in-your-face" as well, but at the same time, when paired with some good amplification, can be quite detailed and dynamic, especially for bigger, more epic, sounding pieces such as big orchestra classical (the kind I like - with a lot of strings, percussion, and brass! Might as well through in a 30+ voice choir on top of it!). One of the major downsides of the Heritage is that you really do need a lot of room to take full advantage of them. Especially KHorns, where you also really need two good corners to put them in. After listening to some really fine Heritage setups, I am still amazed at how well my own Reference RF-7 with B&K Ref 200.7 amp holds its own compared to such setups, especially for the type of music that I like to listen to. Not only that, the Reference just seemed to work much better for my particular room. With good amplification (and thankfully, my B&K amp does these speakers justice), I just like the more refined sound of the RF-7, not to mention they do hold thier own in the bass department as well. Seems like they are almost made for the prog/power metal that I like to listen to (you've no doubt seen some of the material I've posted in the "Listening Right Now" thread - go check some of it out to get an idea of just what I like to listen to - previews of much of it is readily available on Amazon, for example)

Now, if money is truly no object, I personally found the Palladium, especially the top-of-the-line P39Fs, to have the refinement of the Reference, yet the clarity and dynamics of the Heritage, in one very gorgeous package that is easy on the eye. They seem to really embody the best of both worlds, but at $20K/pair, you better be prepared to open that wallet if you want to get them! Of course, that assumes you have the amplfication and source components to do them justice.

There are some overlap in the lines (i.e, excellent mid-range in Heritage, but bass can be lacking in some models, refined highs, and excellent bass in the Reference, but could a little better midrange, etc) when it comes to relative sound quality for the money, but alas, it truly does come down to personal preferences (sound, aesthetics, etc) as well as just how much money you are willing to fork out.

In a nut-shell, this is how I personally see it given what I personally like:

Palladiums, especially the P39F. I think Klipsch truly was able to pull of a "best of both worlds" with these, but at a price.

Jubilees - I found these to be more refined than even the KHorn, but also deliever awesome bass - buy holy crap, they are friggan HUGE. Still, if you got the room and can get past the look (however, the couple of examples I've seen posted on here with veneer really do make it look nice, but can't help to think that big horn is about to eat me alive while I am sitting there listening to them).

Khorn, when placed in a large enough room with good corners and fed with good amplification, such as a good quality tube set. Alas, I don't have that luxury in this place, although I could probably get a pair to work down in the basement.

Cornwalls, for all-out balls-to-the-walls, peel-the-paint-off-the-walls, blow-the-hair-back rocking out (which is why I want to get a pair for my own two-channel rig)

Reference RF-7s, with good amplification, preferably quality solid-state to really drive that bass well, as I love the refinement these speakers deliver, but still delivers quite well in the bass. Of course, these are about the best speakers I could get that would work/fit within my particular room.

LaScalas (yes, I do rank the RF-7s above the LaScalas for what I like to listen to), for the excellent mid-range, but I did find the bass somewhat lacking for my tastes, which is why I would prefer Cornwalls).

Icon Series - with my somewhat limited experience with these, again, really nicely refined sound with excellent clarity and detail. They do also deliver pretty good on the bass, but I personally would add a sub to them.

Legends. I hear these are awesome if you mostly watch movies in an HT type setup. However, at least with the KLF-20s that I got to try out, I thought they were just to much "in-your-face" and much prefered the Reference, especially the RF-7s over them.

KG Series - What few examples that I've listened to, they really sound excellent, considering just how CHEAP you can often find these for. Still think the Reference are much better, though.

Synergy - I was very impressed with the F-3s, especially for the price. Also excellent value for the money.

Then you get down to the smaller lines, such as the Quintets, which will blow away just about any Bose setup, but at like 1/3 the price.

Like as mentioned, these are based on my personal preferences given the type of music that I enjoy and what I can get to work within my own home. Obviously, opinions will differ (i.e., some folks will prefer the Legends over the Reference, for example, or the Jubilees over the Palladiums, or the LaScala over the Cornwall, etc).

I am not even going to get into the big MWM and such, as lets face it - lets be realistic in that most folks are not going to have that in thier homes, as these were intended for the commercial theaters. Obviously there are exceptions, as seen right in this very thread. But obviously, if you can get it to work in your home, you will have a system unlike any others!

Once sound is decided, how about asthetics? The LaScala is an awesome speaker, but a seriously ugly sucker, and I mean that with respect. Think of the Wife Acceptance Factor. To some people the speaker as a piece of art is just as important as the sound it produces. These people would go after the Palladiums. They're beautiful speakers even if you never hook them up to an amp. (which would be a crime, IMO - like having a 1945 Château Mouton Rothschild and letting it turn to vinegar without drinking it)

I don't know, some LaScala's, especially the new LaScala II can look very nice.

The Palladiums are visually stunning.

But so are Klipschorns with Rosewood or my favorites the Klipschorns with Macassar Ebony veneer. They are every bit as stunning, maybe more so to some, myself included, than the Palladiums.

But a lot of people don't like huge speakers the size of a small refrigerator. The larger Palladiums aren't exactly small nor are the larger Reference series but the narrow column type of speaker is considered more decorator and significant other friendly.

And we won't even mention the Jubileee as at last one of their biggest fans refers to his as "plug ugly".... though rumor has it they can be dressed up quite nicely.

I've also seen a picture of an MCM stack in natural wood that I think is stunning, in it's own way.

Remember that beauty is only skin deep but true beauty radiates from within.

What I think is best.... I'll go with the answer already give by (sorry, I forget) whatever Klipsch speakers you have at the moment, in my case, that's a pair of rebuilt Heresies. Sometimes you just gotta quit worrying about what you don't have and enjoy what you do have.

I can't help but love Amy....she always has the right thing to say!

I've missed you Christy!!

Welcome to ladies night at the Klipsch Forum. I think we've all missed Christy's posts. I hope she can post more in the near future and that all is going well.

• Moderators

14' x 22' And there are no "worst" on this list.

Khorns (if good corners) ....LaScalas...... Cornwalls....Forte ll's....Chorus........ Don't know much about the RF's

just want to go wild

Jub's.... MWM's.....Paladiums

• Moderators

My favorite's will not fit in an 8' x 10' room, unless you put them in opposite corners and sit in the middle, like 600 pound headphones.

It might be an idea to have the whole room a speaker and crawl inside.

Actually the room which will be housing our "600 pound headphones" is approximately 24' x 34'. Based on my previous listening experiences our MWM set up ought to sound really good in that space!

I don't too much care for "the whole room a speaker" idea and to tell you the truth I really don't like the idea of "crawling inside" anything.

As far as "best Klipsch speakers". I think they all sound good. Personally, I haven't heard a Klipsch speaker that I didn't like.

Of course, I do like the LaScalas (thanks Colter for allowing us that lengthy audition), what an awesome speaker. Then again, my little Pro Medias are pretty awesome. And I can't forget the Heresys in our garage or the Heresy IIs in Buddy's room (thank you Groomy). Let's not forget one of the all time favs, the Cornwalls, well Cornwall IIIs in my case (thanks to Klipsch) and the Fortes and the Forte IIs. And by the way, that Synergy set up we started out with, well let's just say that's what started this whole thing for me! One more, the Quintet set up in one of our bedrooms, yea buddy, everyone is astrounded when they hear it. And tada.....the RoomGroove...still can't believe that kind of sound comes from that little black box!

Then again, it's like the old saying, "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." What one man thinks is the best, another may consider to be the worst.

Oh yes, before I forget my manners....I have really missed all of you. I had to stop posting for awhile so dtel could catch up to my number of posts. I guess I've given him enough lead time![:P]