I THINK I'VE HAD ENOUGH ALREADY

BigStewMan

a couple of weeks ago, i wrote about my being hit by a truck while walking across the street. by the way, THANK YOU for all the well wishes. Recovery is happening; but, still extremely sore. the broken ribs are no longer my greatest pain (although they still remind me that they're broken from time to time). my foot is hurting more now than it did the day of the accident. the doctor said it's not broken; but, i think another xray is in order--something definately ain't right. ANYWAY, while recuperating at home, my mom has a massive heart attack. unable to drive, my daughter drives me an hour and a half down the road to where my mom lives. the doctors got her heart is semi-decent shape again; but, then her lung collapsed and kidneys failed. Things started looking up and they removed the ventilator and she went into respiratory failure a few hours later. Back on the ventilator again. Doctor said bad things start happening after 72 hours on the ventilator--we're past the 72 hour mark; but, they are leaving her on it for a few more days. Her heart is acting normal and her kidney function has improved, if she will just start breathing on her own. Not meaning to start another emotional thread; but, this is where 60 years of smoking got her. My Dad died from lung cancer 29 years ago and as I sat in the hospital yesterday i said to myself "why didn't you quit smoking when you saw dad going through this?" My biological parents both died when i was eight years old, i was adopted by my uncle & aunt. So, this is the fourth time I've been through this with a parent.

Hang in there BSM.

My mother in law has developed mild emphysema the last couple of years. She watched her rather die rather young of lung cancer. Yet she still can't quit smoking though claims she wants to. She if finally cutting back and may be trying again as she can't afford to smoke. We've feared for years she'd set her house on fire but thankfully hasn't yet. I just pray that she avoids the cancer that's all too common.

I know the feeling man. Dad died at age 46 from smoking, Mom kept up the nasty habit and slowly faded from us via three years of COPD with ventilators, O2 tanks and all the suffering that entails.

Be as strong as you can, say the important stuff now. You never know what might happen. Make sure your Mom has assigned someone as power of attorney and medical representative in case she can't make desicions for herself. This is very important at this stage.

Prayers go out for you, your Mom, and entire family.

Michael

As of Saturday, my Mom has made a significant recovery. Her heart is stable, her lung inflated, and she is off the ventilator. She is still in the hospital; but, looks like she may be able to go home sometime this week. doctor said that dialysis is a certainty at some point in the future; but, not an immediate concern. All five of us children were there the whole time, and that is the most that i've seen my brother & sisters in many, many years. When Mom was off the ventilator and coherent, all the kids were at her bedside, i asked her if she remember anything about the past 2 weeks and she said No. I then said, "well, I just want you to know that I helped you the most." It was then that my siblings remembered what a smart alec that they have for a brother.

Regarding my getting nailed by the truck...the ribs feel a 100 times better, still very sore and painful. My foot is 100 times worse. I just left a doctor's appt and they took more xrays. This time, they told me that I have two broken bones in my foot to go with the three broken ribs. Still happy to be alive.

oh yeah, the first bill arrived--the ambulance ride was $1350. I think i'll put a cot in the back of my truck and haul people to the hospital in my spare time!

Hope you all are doing well.

Steve

So sorry to hear the series of very unfortunate events with you and your mom. On the up side glad to hear your mum is recovering. On the downer it must be so frustrating that your foot is feeling worse than when the accident occurred.

Bad things always seem to happen at once. Hang in there. I know it is easy for me to say but I can only imagine it must be a very trying time for you and your family.

As for the “C” word – I think everyone has been effected by Cancer either directly or indirectly..

Ancient Wisdom:

Knowing I will get old, I breathe in.
Knowing I cannot escape old age,
I breathe out.

Very Zen, and good ideas to remember. Thanks, Mark.

BSM, it's good to hear your Mom's making a recovery, and that her crisis brought the family together a bit. As for broken ribs, I've had a few, on four different occasions, one from something as simple as a big power drill kicking back when the bit finally penetrated a thick steel plate. To add insult to injury, the foreman told me off for using a big (5/8") drill without a side handle. Thanks, boss...

It only hurts when you laugh. Or cough. Or move. But it will be better in a month. Hope everything else heals quickly, too.