WOW

shortstack31489

i received my 805 by ups today and when he handed me the box i was in shock at how heavy this thing is, i havent hooked it up yet it seems to be a beast

Got a similar shock with my NAD T785. Yours is about 5 pounds lighter. Nowhere near as grunty as the NAD but given the weight the Onkyo's weight bodes well for general build quality.

Ya know whats strange though , the TX-SR805 weighs in at 55 lbs , yet this years TX-SR806 only weighs 30 , hope this isn't a sign that their starting to cut corners , maybe they just changed the point in there line up to the 876 , where they start puting the bigger power supply , also the 805 is capable of like 60 amps instantaneous current , and the 806 only like 38 , apparently they changed something , and in the next few weeks when i buy mine , i'll definitely be going with the 805

• Moderators

Ya know whats strange though , the TX-SR805 weighs in at 55 lbs , yet this years TX-SR806 only weighs 30 , hope this isn't a sign that their starting to cut corners ,

Nah, we all know manufacturers add lead to the inside to make them all seem like they are better quality build. [:P]

I just moved my Yamaha yesterday. 44 lbs. Definitely much heavier than my previous Onkyo 703 which was a meager 29 lbs.

To get the best sound from ANY amp, you need to add about 300# of steel under it. This will add to the weight in a large way and will make the amp more powerfull as the steel acts like a heat sink plus, it makes it really heavy.

CAUTION adding the steel plate CAN cause a hard metalic sound so use your own judgement! Then again, this makes HEAVY METAL sound FANTASTIC![;)]

so i just hooked up my 805....i havent really got to mess with the settings yet except for the calibration and the distances....i only listened to a small clip from the hulk and i didnt notice a ton of difference from my old 606...i will try out some more demos tomorrow i just wanted to let everyone know its hooked up and going