Again on Jubilee...

john3419

Being a former (early model) Klipschorn owner myself, and a current new Belle Klipsch owner, the idea of gigantic horns in my room is very appealing.

Well, if that's the case, Jubilees are way too small. You need some MCM Grand 4T's!!

LOL!!! You might be right. Now the MCM Grand 4T's are my kind of speaker. If you're going to go big - do it right...

The identity of this individual is not going to be revealed by me other than to say you might be a little surprised if you knew the identity!!!

Oh, surprise...

It does sound to me like the MCM is more promising

Having heard them side by side with the Jubilees, I'll agree 100%

I do not think the Jubilee warrants any more of my time.

One might hope...

No disrespect to Batman's Robin - But why is everbody quoting him left, right and center? Why is everyone sparring with him at every opportunity? He has raised some interesting points, but you guys are letting him get under your skin for some reason... ???

Weird...

Ah, edwinr....(insert tongue in cheek), so trusting and naive. Completely unaware of those that are afflicted with the dreaded personality dis-order. Drama and manipulation for attention. To some it's glaringly obvious, to others, not so much.

The problem with the MWM in the home is the vertical angle between bass bin and tweeter, and then the number of crossovers required. There is also the issue of timbre shifts due to different materials and design choices. It all still exists with a 2-way, but you only gotta deal with it once instead of 3 times.

Wow, how many answers, i didn't expect so many!!!

I'll try to go with order, trying to reply to all the aspects coming out in this thread in the meantime, i haven't had occasions to type on the forum for some days because of my work (i've to work hard cause...you know the reason why :D).

First, i try to explain my point of view on these speakers, in particular why i like them so much without having listened to them:

1. They're Klipsch speakers and the last project of Paul W. Klipsch;

OK, obviously i like the brand, as all of you. But the fact that these are the last home project of Paul W. Klipsch really gives to these many points on any other existing model (of any brand i mean) at my eyes. Why? Simply because i really trust and admire P. Klipsch. With medium quality (sometimes low-mid quality) drivers he was able to create good sounding speakers that are on the wave till now, after more than 50 years (more than 60 for KHorns) just with its choices (horns, cabinet design and minimal xovers...). Because of the project, in a word, while other brands have to test unbelievable materials (like diamond, beryllium..) for their drivers to make good sounding speakers 50 years later...

WELL, FOR THE MENTIONED REASON LET ME SAY I'LL BE PROUD TO OWN JUBILEE MORE THAN ANY OTHER SPEAKER.

2. They're the best speakers i could buy "on the paper" especially considering the price

Unfortunately, despite one mate of ours claim, for me the price IS an issue. If it was not, i probably gonna buy these speakers: http://www.hifidiprinzio.it/pop-ups/sala-5-big.jpg because i auditioned them and they really sound awesome (better than the JBL D66000 Everest and the Wilson Alexandria they had in the same shop, IMHO) but they're over 30.000... And, at (i think) an insane price, you can also have these: http://www.hifidiprinzio.it/Vendita-Hi-FI/casse-tromba3.jpg that are unbelievable (but i only know de relato, i didn't want to listen to that cause i was already shocked by the smaller model...). Ah, just a funny news for Robin: in that sho they have a theater based on KPT speakers!! Here you have: http://www.hifidiprinzio.it/SS2/9.jpg They're not the Jubs but the mid-high should be the same (i realize it only now!!!)

So, on the paper, considering the horn speakers on the market, even without considering the point 1., i don't find many (better, any) alternatives to the Jubilee, at that price...

3. They're not so known in Italy, even in audiophile world

This is the less important reason, but anyway, it's a reason...it's always beautiful to own something exclusive...

Sorry for typing, so much, i'll be back with technical issues (expecialy on crossover/amp) later...

Thank you again, see you later...

If you compare $7000 with the purchase price of a pair of Wilson Audio Alexandrias, $7000 for the base Jubilee isn't really all that much money - cheap in fact. The best speaker that Wilson makes is the Sophia. It doesn't try to hard to be something it's not. But it takes a lot of speaker to beat the best the Klipsch has to offer. With the Klipschorn, for example, you can buy speakers within say 2 to 3 times it's asking price that MAY do some things better. But not all things. The complete package as portrayed in the Klpschorn is very hard to beat. Also the mighty Klipschorn is virtually a plug and play system. Sound quality issues aside, the Jubilee is a different kettle of fish. I just wish PWK (and Roy) were able to complete the Jubilee's development into a full-on domestic flagship speaker for Klipsch. I'm sure it would have been a lot cheaper than the Alexandria...

Ah, just a funny news for Robin: in that sho they have a theater based on KPT speakers!! Here you have: http://www.hifidiprinzio.it/SS2/9.jpg They're not the Jubs but the mid-high should be the same (i realize it only now!!!)

You're right, john3419, those are the mid and high 3-way Jubilee horns, combined with KPT-684 cinema subwoofers. See: http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/kpt-684.aspx

Like many cinema/pro subs, they don't go as low as typical home theatre subs, but do go high enough to be called woofers rather than subwoofers (34Hz-1.8kHz). In any case, they're capable of volume that would be scary loud (130dB), and can do it continuously.

The KPT-Jubilee 535 uses the same bass bin as the home 2-way version.
You can see it here: http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/kpt-jubilee-535.aspx

You can see most of the current Klipsch pro cinema line here:
http://www.klipsch.com/products/lists/professional-cinema.aspx?viewall=true

Yeah Islander, but the KPT 684 is just one on the right, between the center and the right channel, instead the main+center are exactly a 535-T (not a 535-Jubilee but a 535-T), as you can see on the link you posted [;)]

Infact the three front channels have a dual 15" woofer each, while the sub (684) has two 18", that are considerably bigger, as shown in the picture posted...[:)]

Anyway, the point is that i had the possibility to listen to that system and i didn't, because i spent too much time with the stereo system i posted...[:(]

Hi John,

There are some that (evidently) will not ever consider something like the Jubilee for various reasons and a few of those reasons are not without some merit.

There are others who like you, realize, asthetic shortcomings aside, this was PWK's last project and evidently something he yearned to do for many years. To that end, I'm more than tickled to own just a small part of his vision, even if it IS "plug ugly". Truth be told, I don't find it to bad of a tradeoff... the improved sound at the expense of some asthetics.

The next dirty little secret that many of the "it's not a finished product" crowd will seem to not mention is this:

The Jubilee bass unit that has PWK standing next to it, is EXACTLY the SAME unit I have sitting in my room except for, the pretty unit has some nice finish panels affixed to the front and top, including grills. If someone took one of these black monsters and affixed some pretty panels, the say way it was done for the unit next to PWK, then I'd suggest you'd have just as finished bass unit as he saw. (rhetorical) What would you rather have... a pair for $15,000-$20,000 that are pretty, or the same sonic pair for $7,000 and YOU get the choice of applying your own finish panels? I don't know, seems rather easy question to me.

If you pursue this endeavour, there are more than a handful here that will be happy to help you & guide you through what ever questions you may have. Also, there will be others who will try to subtly derail you and suggest to you this isn't a finished product and not what PWK would have wanted. I personally can't presume to know what he would have wanted but WOULD think those that worked by his side for 20 years, might have an idea of what he would have approved of. At least, a better idea than others who may have never met him and certainly didn't work by his side.

Too bad you didn't post here a year ago, I just spent a week in Italy last June. I would have loved to volunteer you to share a home cooked genuine Italian meal! [pi]

Where is that system in the picture at?

That looks really great! Jubs and Mac...

Paul

Hi, as i said (a couple of messages ago) it's in Chieti Scalo (Italy) ca. 200 km far from Rome... It's an unbelievable place, a ca. 2.000 mq. shop as you can realize going on their web site (See the links in the mentioned message) Here you have the rest of that Cinema room [imgsala-cinema.jpg

that's really more modest than the front (6 RS-7...). In the picture the amp are MC, but could also be monos from McIntosh as well as Crown as ML and many others...

But, as i said, just to have an idea of the place, let take a look at this system they produce on request:

casse-tromba3.jpgcasse-tromba3.jpg

P.S. Coytee, thanks for your reply, i'll answer you later (too busy with my work at the moment), for now i only have to tell you that i really like to cook and eat...italian food of course, i usually cook this so...yeah, it's definitevely a peaty that i didn't post here before last june...[:D]

Yeah Islander, but the KPT 684 is just one on the right, between the center and the right channel, instead the main+center are exactly a 535-T (not a 535-Jubilee but a 535-T), as you can see on the link you posted Wink

You're right, john, I didn't look closely enough. That's one serious system and one serious hi-fi shop. I wish there was a place like that in my town!

The problem with the MWM in the home is the vertical angle between bass bin and tweeter, and then the number of crossovers required. There is also the issue of timbre shifts due to different materials and design choices. It all still exists with a 2-way, but you only gotta deal with it once instead of 3 times.

Hence the reason why I went to single MWMs bin per channel and sold the other 2 bins.........to lower the stack's vertical dimension. You only need 200 milliwatts of power instead of 100 milliwatts, so I can live with the extra "distortion."

But you gotta have splits to start with or a really really big saw to do it, eh? LOL.

Despite of the "soud theory" aspect, there are other benefits to the 4-way vs. 2-way.........just like any other engineering trade-off that must be made.

4-way, in real life, when done carefully, and intelligently, with measuring gear, is not as detrimental as all the talk here makes it out to be. Since we are not torquing Parametric and Shelving EQ's around by plus/minus 12 db, and jamming frequencies into a driver that doesn't naturally want to do it, there are other benefits there that 2-way Quasi-Religious pratctioners don't discuss because they have never tried 4-way

Word of the day "Efficiency-Badwidth product."