The worst cd you ever heard...

Mighty Favog

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire... it may not be the worst cd I've heard, but it is certainly one of the most disappointing. I was expecting Pride (In the Name of Love) to make me want to leap up with my fist in the air, but it sounded like it was playing through the Sears cassette player I got for my eighth-grade graduation 24 years ago.

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Sony 5-disc changer

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Akai AAR22 used as tuner

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

(Future upgrades to include):

Klipsch Academy or KLF-C7 Center Channel

Klipsch RS-3 Surrounds

Outlaw 1050 AV Receiver

How about Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell SACD....

I couldn't believe how bad the remastering job was on this one. Quite honestly the worst sounding cd or SACD I've ever heard. Very harsh and it seems like the engineer did not even try to remove some of the analog hiss and crackle that was evident from the master.

Eric.

------------------

Certifed Legend Maniac :

6 KLF-20 as mains, surrounds, rears!

1 KLF-C7 center!

All powered by Denon AVR-5700 (soon to be updated to Aragon Stage 1 !)

I like the new metallica. S&M is probibly the best album. It has new and old. And sounds great to me.

-the old metallica, I think that "Master of.p." rocks. However, I do not think metallica has lost anything. I love their new stuff. And there it varioty with their new CD's. "Carpe Diem Baby" VS "Nothing else matters" Both newer Metallica, very diffrent songs. Love em' both.

--------------------

Lincon park is the worst CD I'v heard. It's like the sound that you get when you tape a CD at to high of a recording level. Garbage!

When will record companies start doing a good job? With things like SACD, shouldn't music be recorded awsome? AND re-recorded for SACD? (remastered) It makes me mad when I here stuff like the new Ozzy CD. Sounds bad!

There should be a law or something!

Thanks, Matthew

Chicago Hot Streets really blows... The music isn't all that bad; they hadn't totally sold out yet, but it was Pete Cetera's band by this point. Danny Seraphine sounds like he's playing cardboard boxes rather than drums...

------------------

1 pair Mahogany KLF-30s

1 Mahogany KLF-C7

1 pair Walnut 1977 Heresys

Yeah, I've got Hot Streets on vinyl (bought new in '79) and it's not as good as their earlier stuff. This was also a bummer because this was the first album without the great Terry Kath on guitar (unfortunate gunshot accident). If you recall, he was replaced by the infamous Donny "Hot Licks" Dacus. This album really started the demise of this great band. Their first 8 albums (9 including their greatest hits) were all outstanding with unbelievable musicianship and song writing. I believe I have 7 of those 9 on vinyl and they will be getting a lot of play when my new stylus comes in...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Gee, wasn't "Color My World" the first piano rif we all learned as a kid? Ahhh, the memories.

My youngest brother was playin' around on our piano one day while playing ELP's "Are You Ready Eddie" and hit the bar with the bad playing perfectly. And none of us really can play the piano!! GOD!! was that funny!!

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 02-14-2002 at 02:33 PM

Many Geffen label Cds sound like junk. I now avoid them.

The early 80s "Aqualung" by Tull was horrid.

One of my favorite bands The Eagles are so arrogant. All of their CDs are over compressed. They put out a box set with no new songs or alternate recordings; I will not buy it at retail prices.

Their CDs were supposed to be remastered; I have not heard one yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Far and away the worst sounding CD I have is Boston's Third Stage - no amount of over-equalizing or dynamic range expanding can eliminate that coffee can. Journey's G.H. is not far behind, although I see that there is now a remaster for this.

Flynn - All of the examples of the original version of Aqualung that I've heard are pretty rough, regardless of format. The overall raw sound of early Tull stuff leads me to suspect poor studio equipment as well as poor mastering.

Despite the numerous re-issues of "A Song for Jeffrey" the harshness remains undiminished.

A lot of that which is heard on Aqualung is, I beleive, the result of artistic license by Anderson.

------------------

We Like our speakers big & heavy!

Court spark has one rough edge at a point. Otherwise very nice.

It is good to read that people identify bad recordings and transfers.

On other sections we see comments aluding to a theory that Klipsch speakers are lacking because they make my favorite CD sound bad.

Gil

Kansas Leftoverture. I don't know if they have remastered this CD yet, but the original CD release stunk. I still prefer the LP version even with its obvious aging.

Husker Du's Zen Arcade CD also suck sonically compared to the LP.

Led Zepplin Houses of the Holy & Led Zepplin #1 DITTO.

I was also disappointed in the remastered Dire Straights Making Movies CD.

Gotta' go with bigdnfay on this one, BIG TIME ...

("Listening to CD's on Kornerhorns can be quite revealing. I have about 1300 cd's from all genres with music from the 60's to the present. I would say about a third are not the easiest to listen to. Still have a pair of vintage Cerwin Vega 211r's from my youth.)

I don't have as many CD's as many of you but I have probably 300-400 or so. Since I put my ALK'ed Klipschorns up in the living room last week, and booted up my new AES Superamp (w/ Mullards and Svet EL-34s which are pretty silky), I've been bringing in about a dozen CD's a day to listen to. I should add that the midrange on Khorns is pretty forward, so I've attenuated the squawker by about 7 db which, to me, sounds better. But to my point, a good TWO-THIRDS of the CD's sound two-dimensional and tinny, like they were recorded inside a dumb waiter.

OTOH, good recordings just leap out at you and make the fur on your arms go up. I listened to Fourplay's "Elixir" CD last night, and it was wonderful, far better than I remember it sounding before. The bass was live, and the music just seemed to float a yard or two in front of the Khorns. Perfect.

Isn't it telling that someone starts this thread with a simple and pertinent question, and gets thirty fast replies? I think the recording engineers that genuinely get this all right, from recording to mixing to mastering (or whatever, I'm a schmucks-pert on this stuff) are definitely in a small minority.

Finally, a good friend of mine came by yesterday afternoon ... he's usually got a lot of new music every week, and our tastes generally align, so he's my local source of who's new and interesting. However, instead of showing up with CD's, he's carrying his IPOD and a pair of patch cords. The stuff he had on there ranged from great sounding (Bob James) to hideous screeching (Pink). He couldn't believe it, since he listens to his music at home on his Bose Lifestyle system.

Bottom line is that there is a HUGE variation in the quality of recordings, and it seems both unnecessary and disappointing. BGO. (Brilliant Glimpse of the Obvious)

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Chris, this note probably doesn't belong on the worst CD list... except to say that the Sampler of Steve Morse seems to be a few hours short Frown.gif I just can't get enough.

I know I owe you a review, but I am hunting up Steve source material from your list while waiting for the new Khorns & Belle to arrive to give Steve's licks a better than Legend review. More later. cwm32.gif-HornEd

Hey Ed ... all you have to do is ask for "Volume 'Number B'" ... (BTW, I never could understand why people say "number ..." followed by letters ...)

I had to pass over about 100 cuts that were worthy of making the first sampler. If you want more, just say so, and give me a few days of destroying more brain cells trying to figure out who is worthy of "second string" status.

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Hey, Chris, my brain cells would have to be all dead not to ask for more like the sampler. Your first offering may have spoiled me for the ordinary stuff. It was just one killer after another. It must take the edge off the morning commute. Now, we need another sampler to get back home.

In your honor, the sampler's going on the road in the motorhome this weekend to let more folks know. I'm also bringing some "Purple" so folks can see what Steve looks like in action.

Take your time... but after the first one, anything your diminished capacity burns will be A-OK with me.

Thanks again... cwm35.gif -HornEd

PS: The store was out of "Number B" but I have it on order.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-12-2002 at 08:34 PM

• 2 weeks later...

O.k.--- Here's an update. Carole King's Greatest Hits has been re-released as being remastered from the original tapes. The old release was on ODE Records #EK 34967 which was pretty dismal in sound quality. Now on the ODE/Epic/Legacy label #EK 658-46. I still wouldn't call it worthy of Mobile Fidelity or Blue Note but it is a far cry better than what was done before. On the old version both the music and vocals sounded rather fuzzy and unsure of their place. The new one has cleared up a lot of that. The binding lable on the jewel case is a dead givaway. The first issue has a white lable where the remastered is the same color brown as the cover-art.

Worth the $11.99 I paid at Borders Books and Music.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit