Golden Ears

edwinr

Who has 'golden ears' here?

I used to think I had cloth ears, but I've been extensively listening to some really high quaility audio during the last 3 or 4 years. I now reckon I'm starting to pick up on the little nuances that the audiophool magazine reviewers constanty go on about.

Little tweaks that I would never have picked up on a few years ago now just stand out. Moving my speakers around a little from the wall, or adjusting 'toe-in' by fractions has wrought dramatic changes in the sound from my listening position. I've even played around a little with speaker and interconnect cable. I bought some new Nordost ribbon speaker cable and matching interconnects and inserting these into my system has provided more focus and detail. Why? I don't know. I'm normally an agnostic when it comes to fancy bits of wire.

The worst thing is that I reckon I've become somewhat of a hi-fi snob now. Listening to other people's hi-fi has really bought the worst out in me. They try and show off their systems to me, and frankly, most times I can't wait to escape from the torture and return to my own system...

post-15368-13819446613518_thumb.jpg

My systems aren't as esoteric as many of the members here but I'm pretty happy with them.

I was on Klipsch's listening panel for evaluating new speakers. It has a lot more to do with listening carefully and being able to describe your throughts about what you're hearing. There are some who have battle worn ears but have adapted to some degree of hearing loss and can still really appreciate a good system and comment quite accurately on what is being put forth.

Sounds like music to me.

"I really don't see how this would be possible."

Possibly because music trumps sound.

Consider the difference between hearing sound as music vs. hearing music as sound... I think you'll come to realize there is something to this...

Children tend to have superior hearing, but you know the kind of "music" they like, whereas there are experienced studio recording engineers that have significant hearing loss yet produce material that satisfies even the most golden eared audiophiles.

The worst thing is that I reckon I've become somewhat of a hi-fi snob now.

Having some expertise or having a high standard doesn't mean you are a snob. No sense in degrading yourself. It's seems particularly American these days to totally resent expertise, competence, accuity, knowledge or high standards as forms of "elitism" or "snobbery." As though, only the mundane, the boring, the regular, the everyday and average have any social value. It's a disease, and it's best if you don't catch it. The lowering of knowledge and standards to some low common denominator is actually a new phenomena in this country and the results of it are as ugly as you would expect.

Snobbery defines how you would PROJECT your tastes or standards, not that you have them. You can have very high standards, tons of expertise, knowwledge and wisdom, and be humble too. Don't buy into the game of calling it all snobbery and eltiism. Rather, welcome the idea that you have some specialized capabilities, or expectations!

Very Well Said! [Y]

Dennie

There are some who have battle worn ears but have adapted to some degree of hearing loss and can still really appreciate a good system and comment quite accurately on what is being put forth.

I really don't see how this would be possible.

There are recording engineers who can't hear over 13khz, but make superb mixes, often with instruments and overtones far exceeding their hearing range. They aren't sure how they do it, but they do it all the time.

Having some expertise or having a high standard doesn't mean you are a snob. No sense in degrading yourself. It's seems particularly American these days to totally resent expertise, competence, accuity, knowledge or high standards as forms of "elitism" or "snobbery." As though, only the mundane, the boring, the regular, the everyday and average have any social value. It's a disease, and it's best if you don't catch it. The lowering of knowledge and standards to some low common denominator is actually a new phenomena in this country and the results of it are as ugly as you would expect.

You're not kidding, Mark! Having some knowledge or expertise and being willing to admit it or share it is usually seen as "geeky" nowadays and people will often apologize for showing that they actually know what they're talking about.

It's not a good trend. In police and totalitarian states, the intelligentsia are among the first targets of the government. That hasn't happened here so far, but they're seen as irrelevant nerds, although the non-nerds sure enjoy using the gadgets invented and developed by the geeks.

If it continues to be embarrassing to be smart, there will be fewer students going for higher education and the whole country will suffer in the long term.

• Moderators

There are many other ways in which hearing can be damaged though. That is what worries me and keeps me awake at night.

Now that is going to keep me up at night, I thought you were out there fighting crime for us ?

I think Mdeneen is exactly right.

There are some who have battle worn ears but have adapted to some degree of hearing loss and can still really appreciate a good system and comment quite accurately on what is being put forth.

I really don't see how this would be possible.

Let's take cymbals and HF hearing loss as an example. The astute listener has experienced cymbals, knows what they should sound like, etc. Through aging, abuse, or accident the listener loses a substantial amount of HF ability. Having now heard the fundamental tones of a cymbal and recognizing that sound in the mix of music, the brain interprets the sound as 'cymbal' and the listener 'hears' cymbals without having really heard the full richness of the frequency spectrum produced by the instrument.

Ear training, experience, and musical acuity play a huge part in our ability to 'listen', and for some of us, enjoy music. If I couldn't take a track apart piece by piece, listening to the bass on one run through, drumming on another, concentrating on the blend of horn harmonies etc, I couldn't really enjoy music- it's a personal thing but it's just the way I listen.

No this doens't mean you have to disassemble music to enjoy it, just my take on things. It helped me when making comparisons of speakers to have had a large lifetime experience listening to both acoustic instruments and live concerts. I have a data bank of 'what it's supposed to sound like' store up that I can relate to.

But what Mark D. said goes as well.

Michael

I hope you're right about Sully the Pilot, but I think he's perceived as an anomaly, not as a top-line professional who should have many equals.

Could it be that the anti-elitist trend began with Spiro Agnew's remarks about "effete snobs" back in the seventies?

Have you ever read Vonnegut's short story Harrison Bergeron, or seen the Twilight Zone version of it? Scary stuff.