2 Channel Receiver Suggestions

Mudkicker

Yamaha has three stereo receivers and they're not very expensive:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/stereoreceivers/rx.html?CTID=5000600

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/compare/Detail.html?compitem1=200028&compitem2=200029&compitem3=200030&CTID=5000600&VNM=LIVE&comp_items=200028&comp_items=200029&comp_items=200030&B_compare.x=24&B_compare.y=6

The RX-797 has a bit more flexibility, because it has pre-amp out connections, in case you ever decide you need a separate power amp. It also has more power and the other specs are better, too. Those are suggested retail prices, so you can likely find them somewhere for less.

Features are here: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200028&CTID=5000600

There is Not any Love here for the Sony Receivers..............TV's Yes...........

To further confuse your choices...........look at

Onkyo TX 8555 it is the work horse from Onkyo that has been in their lineup for many Years. I enjoyed mine when I first re discovered Music............
and before I became addicited to this stuff..............

Onkyo

• 2 x 100W Per Channel
  • WRAT Technology
  • Discrete Output Stage Circuitry
  • High Current Design
  • XM/Sirius Satellite Ready
  • Audio Zone 2 Output
  • Multi-Room IR Port
  • iPod Connectivity
  • Treble, Bass, and Balance Control

• Mfr # TX-8555
  • B&H # ONTX8555

Availability:

In Stock

Quantity:

Add to Wishlist

• Price:
    $219.95

Free Shipping

re the early 80s Sony receivers. There are some early 80s ES Sonys that are no slouches. Find a Sony with rosewood side panels, is 2 channel and has ES in the name and you will be stylin'.

There are so many great vintage receivers, my rec is to do an ebay search and sort by location. Find something you can drive to for pick up, and do a google search, or search on audioasylum's vintage forum to decide.

Beware, vintage gear does not ship well regardless of how well it is packaged.

Peace

TommyK

Vintage gear has a certain appeal, but the new electronics sound better and are more reliable. Every new Yamaha receiver I've owned has been a definite improvement over the earlier ones. They also come with a warranty.

Bingo Bango Bongo, spot on, but that older HK receiver is aweful temping for $80.00.

There's new junk, and there's old junk. Seems to me the key is knowing how to filter it all out. For those (of you) with deep pockets this is easier. For those of us who live in a van down by the river, it's a bit trickier.

Since I picked up my first pair of K's, I have been scouring the innernets and webz reading like a mofo in an attempt to find a reasonably priced decent quality receiver / amp which will do these speakers justice. It's interesting to see how much some of the higher end SS gear from the late 70s and early 80s goes for. Just yesterday a Marantz 7 tube pre amp sold for over $4300.00 on ebay. But every day relatively low powered (Marantz, Pioneer, Kenwood, HK, Sansui) receivers sell for under 200 bucks. Apples and oranges yes, OK, apples and watermelons!

I have learned a great deal from this site and many thanks for all your opinions. As for me, I like the old stuff and it tends to be more aligned with my wallet. I hate messing around with a multi-function display for 20 minutes as I try to make a trivial adjustment to bass/treble etc. I'd much rather grab one knob and give it a twist. This becomes more important when messing with downloaded music files as the quality of the recordings is all over the map. The thing that I really do miss however, is the remote!

I ended up with an old Pioneer SA9100 amp and just bought a matching Pioneer TX9100 tuner. The whole package was less than 200 bucks, looks totally cool with the nice oiled walnut case. The amp had several noisy pots which I was able to clean and restore to perfect with two cans of miracle jizz. Not likely that I'd be able to do that with my ugly black sony HT receiver. Sure it's not tube and it's not McIntosh, but it sounds pretty sweet to me. As I get my learn on I may find that I want something different.

In the meantime, I'll keep looking for the next one. I sure like the look of the old Phase Linear stuff........it goes quite cheap. Is there a reason for this?

Vintage gear has a certain appeal, but the new electronics sound better

Hogwash. IMHO

+ 1 The new stuff sounds flat and lifeless IMO
Me three.........I don't know why but my vintage stuff just has the "pizazz" that I like....and it just works better for music. [Y]