Our family dog.........

tommyboy

She was diagnosed Tuesday with type 1 diabetes, and she may have cancer in her pancrias. [:'(] (if that's how you spell it) If it's only diabetes, she's got about another 10 months left with us, and if it's cancer, we're going to have her put down. She would only live about another 3 months anyway. She's a lab/boxer mix, and she's almost 14 years old. So, she's definitely had a good run, and we honestly couldn't ask much more out of her. I thought my dad would be pretty heart broken, but he's taking it pretty well. I mean, after all, she did last 14 years, and the vet said that full breed boxers only live for an average of 10 years........... so 14 years was a good life for her. We should know by next week if it's cancer or not.

Sorry to hear. Lab/Boxer mix must be a very good dog. Loyal, energetic, smart and protective.

I had to have my Boxer put down at 10 1/2 years. He had slipped discs in his back due to the fact he had never slowed down. My vet said the same about 10 years being average for Boxers.

Sean

I hate to hear that. The wife and I had to have her poodle she raised put to sleep 11 years ago and we still miss her. We have a Yorkie that is 10 and still going strong. 3 cats one 15, one 14 and one 4. I look for the 15 year old to go to sleep one night and not wake up (long story). It's tough losing them but they give us so much love and so very little in return.

Sorry Tommyboy.....been there done that. Miss Kate, or formally Ginger's Tarheel Kate, my 15 year old Lab died January 29, 2009 a day short of my birthday. We are dogless after twenty years having buried Kate's mother, Ginger, in 2006. Jack, a tuxedo cat, died in 2007. So the side yard now resembles a cemetary. Sad.....but the price of having pets. We are taking a break from pet ownership for now but we will see how long that last.

Sorry Tommyboy.....been there done that. Miss Kate, or formally Ginger's Tarheel Kate, my 15 year old Lab died January 29, 2009 a day short of my birthday. We are dogless after twenty years having buried Kate's mother, Ginger, in 2006. Jack, a tuxedo cat, died in 2007. So the side yard now resembles a cemetary. Sad.....but the price of having pets. We are taking a break from pet ownership for now but we will see how long that last.

I guess her almost 14 year life is no complaint then. She's a boxer/lab mix. Seeing as boxers die affter about 10 yrs, and your lab lived to 15, I guess she did indeed live a long, good life. And when I say good, let me explain. She was my dog until I shipped out in May of 02. Gave her to my dad. Between then and this day she has her own room, (no, that's not a typo), has only eaten human food, literally, gets to pick where she goes to sleep every night, and has her own spot on the couch. And if you try to get her to move from that spot, she doesn't like it if you know what I mean. This dog redefines the term "spoiled rotten pet".

Well, I drove home after work on Friday. she hadn't eaten or drank anything for about 4 days by that time. I got in at about 200 am. I went home because the cancer was a lot more serious than anyone had known or imagined. By the time I got there, she wasn't even able to move. She could move her head and tail just enough to show some life left. Me and pops sat up til about 6 am Sat morning, and in just that short amount of time (4 hours), her health had taken a serious crash. I went to sleep, and woke up at about noon sat afternoon. By that time, rectal bleeding was in full affect, and she could no longer move her tail or head at ALL! She was like that all day Saturday; but luckily didn't get any worse. I woke up Sunday morning, and she was on the verge of going. She was fighting for air, and me and pops gave her til noon. She went at 917................... We waited for her body to go cold, then dug her hole in the back yard............. Anyway, here's some pix. I had no idea this would be so hard to deal with, so if you don't see me around the forum for about a week or so, you know why..........

This is her about 12 hrs before she went

post-16545-13819447669164_thumb.jpg