Who are your favorite guitarists?

synthfreek

Wow Chris & fini, I see what you mean about eating up that Steve Morse sound! I pulled out a Deep Purple at Royal Albert Hall that I had heard more as an ensemble than paying attention to individual artists. This time I singled out the Steve Morse Band and realized for the first time what a hidden talent they have been in my life... and who really put the "Smoke on the Water!" Thanks for sharing your insights to bring new depth to my music collectioan. Steve seems to have the quiet professionalism of the consumate studio musician blended with the inspired genius of an exceptional talent that honed his skills beyond his peers. I am stoked!

Sadly, I have not seen as much on the web as I hoped to find. The Video Flick "Essential Steve Morse" is apparently no longer available... it sounds interesting. But rest assured the hunt for more Morse is coded into my buying habits.

A side note on another guitarist, Carlos Santana. He and his wife are big supporters of one of my favorites, The Exploratorium in San Francisco. It was the first of many that have sprung up around the world where hundreds of interactive science demonstrations are made available to the public. From wide-eyed four year olds to my wide-eyed 94 year-old mother this place is pure "mind candy" and it sends its older exhibits to affiliated institutions around the world. Who knows, even fini may have exercised an ear or two there. It's just across the Golden Gate at the Palace of Fine Arts, fini.

cwm40.gif Hmm, as a long term member and contributor, maybe I should ask that they do a bit on the folded horn in honor of Mr. Paul's impending birthday & book signing.

In any event, it is refreshing to see name guitarists doing worthwhile things in the community where they live... with lots of thought and little fanfare. Thank you Carlos & Deborah Santana! cwm38.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-26-2002 at 12:42 PM

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HornEd-I was just there a month ago with my daughter and her fifth grade class. We only had a couple of hours to poke around...you need more like a couple of days (weeks?)! I think an exibit on PWK and his horns would be great! Need help setting it up?

fini

Hey Ed, I have the Steve Morse instructional video (I've been playing on and off for about 40 years and am always up for this kind of stuff) ... If you'd like, just email me your address (crobinso@eea.epson.com) and I'll send it off to you to watch or copy. Just send it back in due course ...

If I'm sending off to you, I could burn you a sampler CD with great stuff from about 10 of his albums.

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Deep purple

Total Abandon live 99 on dvd is

a total must have the picture and

sound is second to none. The band is

tight. I got this for christmas and

thought to my self it ain't Deep Purple

unless I see those rotating speakers

on the stage and their there.

About midway in the concert what

I like to call the Steve Morse show

starts and man this guy show off his

talent. At the start of the show the

people who mixed the DD show their names

and I would too the bass is the tightest

of any piece of music that I own.

Live long and loud

Indy - I'm with you regarding Michael Hedges...

Since I just put my Turntable back in the mix, I have been listening to a lot of albums from the late 60's thru the early 80's, and put on an LP I hadn't played in 20 years... Nils Lofgren's "CRY TOUGH" from 1976. I had forgotten how good a guitar player this guy is. Long before he joined Bruce Springsteen's band as lead guitarist, he had a number of solo releases that showcased his talents. I for one think he belongs in this thread...

Mike

Well, I'll chip in my 2 cents worth since I haven't seen mention of some of 'em....

Jon Petrucci of Dream Theater. Amazing technically, very good, original songwriting with Dream Theater. These guys are amazing live.

Christopher Parkening... A. Segvio (or however you spell it) spoke nothing but accolades about him. He is an amazing classical guitarist. Absolutely inspirational.

Robert Fripp of King Crimson. Been around sine the 60's, just saw them a few months back in Indy. Very original, cutting edge. He's a pretty unassuming guy.

Los Romeros... 4 brothers from Italy have more than made their mark on the classical guitar world.

Mace

• 2 weeks later...

HornEd, Steve Morse "Sampler II" is on its way this morning ... You should see it Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on the USPS's alacrity.

Threw some stuff with a little more "edge" (if that's possible) and a few more of his "chamber" pieces. I like it even more than the first sampler Smile.gif

Enjoy and spread the word.

PS Since you complained the last sampler was too short, I crammed 16 pieces on there (65 minutes or so).

Let me know what you think.

Chris

Hey Chris, let's get the record straight... my complaint was not that you failed to put more in... but rather that I can't get enough of Steve Morse musicianship!

I was playing your first sampler when I stumbled on your post. Your Second Sampler is coming right in the middle of my frustrations in not finding Morse offerings locally... even to order. Too many CD music shop employees just stare at me blankly and after a feeble attempt on the computerized databases... and just come up dry.

I particularly get a blank stare on "Number B"!!!

As close as I can get is Deep Purple... and Steve isn't named on many of those. But I am spreading the word... maybe I need to take some time at dig through used CD stores?

Thanks for all you've done until you can be better paid. The Morse concentration that you have achieved makes awesome a real word in the old sense again! -HornEd

HornEd, sorry to hear you can't find these CD's in the racks at your local pusher ... however, I'm not surprised at all. Steve has a very wide and devoted following, but this younger generation are the ones buying CD's and unfortunately, few are enlightened to the elders Smile.gif It's going to be Amazon.com for us as we tracker down some of these collectables. Ebay has a few listings as well, including some MINT vinyl.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=851218474

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=851151033

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=851699489

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=850613565

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=851218474

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1524392398

When the kids were out of the house with the Mrs. this morning, I put Sampler "#B" on and cranked it up. Oddly enough, Track 7 is my favorite ... a nice baroque-esque piece called Delicate Balance. Sounds great through cranked K-horns. I can only imagine what your 17-channel system sounds like Smile.gif

Anyway, probably could put together a Sampler III (#C) if you put a gun to my head, but see how II goes. You may be "Steve'd out" after a week of that one !

Junior Brown! What a hoot to hear him play! Have photos of Gary Richrath while we were just out of hish school. Haven't heard him in years.

How about (acoustic music):

Phil Keaggy (acoustic or electric)

Tony Rice

Bela Fleck (okay, he plays banjo, but it doesn't sound like it)

Victor Wooten (plays more notes on a bass than most people can play dropping a load of ball bearings on an open piano)

This list could get VERY long, but I have to go.

New, younger musicians have the advantage of learning and hearing more music than ever before.

Marvel

Saw a review on Steve's website ... can you say, DVD coming soon?? !!!!!!

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

AES AE-25 "Superamp" (in temporary retirement)

AES AE-3 Pre-amp (in temporary retirement)

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Chris, thanks for your inspiration... I just preordered "Split Decision" at http://www.stevemorse.com/nav_frame.html The release is scheduled for March 26th. I also got on their Steve Morse email newsletter. It will be hard for them to beat your Sampler Series. Thanks again. -HornEd

------------------

Pic6.jpg

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-24-2002 at 11:27 PM

Well as a guitarplayer my main influences are:

- John Petrucci (Dream Theater)

- Paul Gilbert (Ex Mr. Big / Racer X)

And I listen 2:

- Steve Vai

- Joe Satriani

- Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs)

- Micheal Romeo (Symphony X)

- Alex Lifeson (Rush)