Who are your favorite guitarists?

synthfreek

Anyone mention Mick Ronson yet?

David Bowie has helped introduce me to a number of talented axe slingers...Ronson, Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, GE Smith, and of course S.R.V.!

I was always into the alternative rock scene...not really the same overall level of skilled technical musicians here but some of the guys I like are:

Johnny Marr (The Smiths)

Billy Duffy (The Cult)

Daniel Ash (Bauhaus, Tones on Tail, Love & Rockets)

Dave Navarro (Jane's Addiction, RHCP)

Warren Cucorillo (Zappa, Missing Persons, Duran Duran)

Jerry Cantrell (Alice In Chains)

Vernon Reid (Living Color)

Dr. Know (Bad Brains)

John McGeoch (Public Image Ltd.)

Great thread BTW...got me to blow off the dust on some older cds.

Dave

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fini you must have not turned on the TV this past week because Merle Haggard died maybe 5 days ago now. Yes Johnny Marr is a fantastic player. Anyone hear of Michael Brook?

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

Synthfreak-You're right, I missed that. It wasn't reported on Nickelodeon, The Disney Channel, or Cartoon Network (which is what's on mostly when the tube's on-kids, ya know). "Big City" was their lullaby of choice back when they still wanted me to sing 'em to sleep. Very sorry to get this news.

Indeed, Rest In Peace, Hag.

fini

Doh! I gotta lay off that crackpipe. My bad.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

favorite guitarist, singular? well...Carlos Santana or course...if you want plural just ask...add Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, David Gilmour, Rick Derringer, Gary Moore, SRV, Peter Frampton, Mark Knopfler, Dicky Betts...ok, ok I will stop there...warm regards, tony

This message has been edited by sunnysal on 02-20-2002 at 02:26 PM

I must confess to yet another vote for SRV. The outpouring of soul thru fingers as evidenced by his 'never play it twice the same way' but always just flows and sounds perfect is what does it for me. Lots more technically adept and that's nice too, but seeing Stevie's eyes roll back into his head as the blues effortlessly (like a well placed Klipschorn) and relentlessly flow out drops my jaw every time.

Others that stand out for me:

Gilmore. Especially live from the 74 - 77 timeframe. The last show of Floyd's Animals Tour from Montreal has to be his best. If you ever get a chance to pick up this boot and you like the DSOM - Animals era Floyd sound, you will not be disappointed!

Frank Marino - One of the best. Extremely tight.

Trower - Loudest guitar player I've ever heard! Bar none.

The trio of Gaines/Collins and Rossington.

Jorma Kaukonen - Saw him on Telegraph Ave in Berkley as a teen one Sat afternoon. I remember thinking then he was the best I've ever heard. Tremendous.

------------------

Ed

Boa, about a page ago on this thread you asked me for my favorite guitarist. That's tough, my music collection is quite eclectic in general and, perhaps, even more so when it comes to guitars.

As a lad, I was trained in classic guitar and was one of the few in my San Francisco area high school to listen to Country & Western music. I lived for a number of years in Europe where my enjoyment of classical guitar was nourished... particularly on my annual vacations to Spain for the running of the bulls in Pamplona. My lessons gave me an appreciation for the guitar... and my distinct lack of talent underscored it.

Probably my all time favorite guitarist was Chet Atkins because he was well respected in more guitar venues than any other guitarist I have had the pleasure to hear in person. If Mozart played the guitar he would likely sound like Chet Atkins.

Of course, classic guitarists like A. Segovia and so many more close to his skill have made my life richer indeed... and faded into obscurity for not playing some aspect of rock. Actually, one of my best guitar evenings was a special presentation by the Spanish Pavilion of the New York World's Fair of about a half dozen of the finest guitarists in Spain... from where I had just left by Boeing 707 earlier that same day.

Since my favorite ex-wife was born in Puerto Rico, I cannot fail to add the influence of Latino Jazz and AfroCuban rhythms that held me in guitar ecstasy through many a night. Even the venerable Carlos Santana from the S.F. area has his moments... particularly when you catch him live... kinda like Willie Nelson... you have to be there to really enjoy it.

I appreciate Les Paul for electrifying the sound in multiple tracks to point the way to the rock extravaganzas of the last three decades or so.

Clearly, the hard driving Jimi Hendrix pushed the voltage beyond the ability to survive... I have a recording of Jimi four days before he cashed out... and Joe Walsh has that impish style of living... and playing... whether flying as an Eagle... or 14 years of messing about... all the while building tune structures that will inspire yet another generation.

SRV probably has more drive (and sex appeal I am told)... but IMHO not quite the finesse or uncanny dexterity of Atkins. I intended to write this reply after I waded through a few hundred CD's... but the pace of living has not afforded me that luxury... and so I have winged it... probably to the determent of all!

I have dozens of rock oriented guitarists... and each one I have kept has something on it that still makes my ears perk up and enjoy. There are many that had a few good riffs... and then never quite got that good again it seems. That's what makes those 200+ CD players a benefit for background music. You can program the tracks you like and play them randomly for your own personal Klipsch Music Station.

Fortunately, my son is not essentially tone deaf like the old man, and it has been my pleasure to give him a Stratocaster and a series of increasingly better acoustics as I run across them. Before I retired in North Texas, we had an employee rock band that would gather together at the close of the business day and wail. Frankly, it was more fun to be there than to hear a recording of it... but life is too short if you don't enjoy it... and enjoy it they did. We had one of the few companies that gave out musical instruments, amps, etc. as bonus incentives for good work.

I find some of that spirit on this Forum... and that's good. cwm32.gif HornEd

PS: I find the re-releases in 5.1 very interesting. I have been able to reclaim some music that had been lost, strayed or stolen over the years. It just may be may failing memory, but the old folks who drag themselves out for a new concert seemed to have gained a lot in their musicianship when playing their old standards of yesteryear. I find benefits in both stereo and multi-channel music. As Dr. Floyd Toole opines, "Multi-channel music makes it possible to enjoy music beyond the sweet spot." Now if only the engineers could get it right, what a wonderful world this would be! H.E.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-25-2002 at 05:19 PM

There have been a lot of great posts here, but I have to agree with Magnaman and Fini on this one. Without a doubt, the best all-round guitarist I've EVER heard is Steve Morse, named to the Hall of Fame by Guitar Player magazine by his winning the Guitarist of the Year ten years in a row (or something like that).

People may know of him by his "guest appearances" with Deep Purple, but go back further to the '70's when he started the Dixie Dregs (which became the Dregs, including such greats as Mark O'Connor on the fiddle). The Dregs evolved into the Steve Morse Band which has recorded maybe 10 albums. He considers himself a composer first (labels his music as "electronic chamber works") and a guitarist second. He gives outrageous workshops on techniques which he himself developed (and he doesn't hide his guitar neck while playing trade-mark stuff like EVH) ... but just pick up a few albums (skip "Bring 'em Back Alive"; good stuff, just crappy recording) and you'll get a taste of what he's done ... and CRANK IT UP.

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Thanks, Chris... It seems like a slipped a decade somewhere and haven't been doing the best guitar reading I might have.

I checked some of my Deep Purple and sure enough the Steve Morris Band is on there. Have you (or any other of his fans) have some particular titles to buy (rather than not buy)?

I could use a guitar fix right now... cwm38.gif HornEd

Ed, working backwards, I'd sample the following ... "The Introduction" (check out the first three tracks for a taste):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002H29/qid=1014710134/sr=1-9/ ref=sr_1_9/103-3383316-2420619

Good review here:

"I own and cherish everything Steve has ever put out or played on, and he is my main source of inspiration for playing the guitar. All his stuff is brilliant and I can't possibly review it all, but this disc is so varied and beautiful that I had to at least touch upon it.

There are more musical styles not only covered, but MASTERED here on one album, than most artists would even attempt in a lifetime. Everything from metal to Southern rock, country to Celtic, folk to fusion, as well as anthem-like soundtrack stuff (such as the gorgeous title cut) are included. There's even a modern atonal piece in the intro to Huron River Blues. This guy is truly one of the best composers I've ever heard-bar none; he would go down in music history just for his amazing written music. The mindbogglingly sick thing is that he's heralded as one the best guitarists around the world as well, and in my humble opinion there is NO ONE better. Many guitarists would agree with me. Buy this, as well as High Tension Wires and the Dixie Dregs' Dregs of the Earth (heck, buy all of his stuff) before it's out of print forever."

Then, Stressfest ... like Track 4 (Nightwalk):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001322/qid=1014710134/sr=1-6/ ref=sr_1_6/103-3383316-2420619

"This CD is absolutely incredible. Mixed with some funk and shuffle, Steve's playing is absolutely mind-boggling. 64th notes! StressFest is by far the best record that Morse and his band (with magnificent bassist Dave LaRue and chopster Van Romaine on drums) have made yet. It's sort of a departure from his stuff with the Dregs, and is more agressive and grungy. This adds a new edge to Steve's music, but he's still playing meticulous as ever and is still perfect in every note. Even though the album is mostly heavy-hittin' rockers, it is tinged with a few low-key balladeering numbers, such as "4 Minutes to Live," where Steve plays guitar synth, making his guitar sound like a piano, and "Delicate Balance," a beautiful classical guitar duet between Morse and LaRue. No matter how odd the music is, Steve can still make it more emotional than any other fusion or progressive rock guitarist I've heard. Even if you're not a Morse fan, you'll love this album. It has something for everybody."

Then there's a great Dixie Dregs album, "What If"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000064TT/qid=1014710456/sr=8- 1/ref=sr_8_3_1/103-3383316-2420619

All great tracks, there ... "Take It off the Top" is great, and "Night Meets Light" is wonderful (in my old days back in the late '70's, I'd HAVE to twist one up Smile.gif ). Good reviewer by the way ... hits it on the head:

"I got into Dixie Dregs quite by accident while playing in a band which never got past the pubs and clubs circuit. Our drummer played Take it off the Top, which had long featured as backing track to a music show on the BBC. Having started off by saying 'hey I know this,' by the time I'd heard a couple more tracks I just asked incredulously - 'who the hell are these guys?' Given the answer, I remarked: 'Never heard of them.' To the great majority of you out there who haven't heard of them either, let's just say this is quite sublime music - a voyage through three centuries of the art from Baroque classic to heavy rock and beyond. It may sound quirky, but my Haydn-loving father remains ecstatic about Night Meets Light more than ten years on. The rest is almost as good. Buy it - and buy the rest of the Dregs catalogue. "

Finally, there's "Dregs of the Earth" which is a GREAT album, but sadly there are no sample Frown.gif

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000006Y90/qid=1014710675/sr=1- 15/ref=sr_1_15/103-3383316-2420619

This message has been edited by Chris Robinson on 02-26-2002 at 03:19 AM