Who are your favorite guitarists?

synthfreek

Thank God a couple of you goons mentioned Leslie West. And Mnedeen, perceptive as always, mentioned Cropper and Guy. And let's not forget the Godfather of rock and roll guitar, Scotty Moore; you can't play R&R guitar without copying Scotty whether you know it or not, his stuff has become basic vocabulary. And Chet Atkins. And James Burton who played for Rickey Nelson and later for Elvis. Clapton is a boring Delta wannabe (why listen to him when Chicago is full of Real-Deal guys who cameup from Mississippi and Lousiana during The Great Migration) and Hendrix barely died in time to save his reputation; he was SO boring and repetative at the end, going nowhere fast. The best Limey guitarist was Harrison, that man was practically a 1st Generation R&R guitarist (The Beatles starting playing VERY early). And Johnny Ramone, who reminded lots of us that it's good rythym guitar that really makes R&R go and that lead guitar isn't needed at all.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rocking George Thorogood, who I will see live soon, Eric Clapton and Mark Knoplfer top my list, but I also like the many enduring melodies that Paul Simon, Roy Orbison and Bob Dylan created, and since they are guitarists, that would put their names on my list ...

where is the thread about favorite pianist?

Smile.gif

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

It's hard to remember them all (and give them their due)...no disrespect to the forgotten.

TBrennan - The Chicago contingent is certainly worthy of mention. To all of the listers out there, spend some time in the Chicago Blues clubs (Buddy Guy's Legends, Kingston Mines, Blues Etc, and many more) to witness what TBrennan's talking about. I've seen more than my share of Buddy Guy and Junior Wells gigs. Mandatory for any rock and roll fan.

I'll take a bit of issue on the Clapton opinion though. I'll agree that recent Clapton leaves much to be desired, but the early stuff shreds. Try listening to the sessions disc from the "Derek and the Dominoes" 2 disc special edition. It's all studio jams - no vocals - in 8 to 12 minute segments. Eric and Duane Allman (another one who should have made the list) are unbelievable. Now I realize that tastes are tastes, and that's quite OK if you disagree, but this is the Clapton to which I refer to - the Clapton that I absolutely love.

Mike Lindsey - I absolutely agree on the Terry Kath sentiment. His presence in the band has always been the dividing line for me as to my opinion on Chicago. I'm not real fond of the post Kath Chicago material, but the Kath portion of Chicago's career is simply classic, and extremely underrated.

mdeneen - It is almost criminal to have forgotten Chuck Berry and Robert Johnson. Without R.J. this discussion would not be taking place. Whoops!!

I also agree on the Mark Knopfler opinion, especially when Pick Withers was in Dire Straits. Those two were truly a match made in heaven - See Sultans of Swing for a full understanding.

I am admittedly biased towards those who display their craft live. I've seen all of the guitarists on my original list except Harrison, Hendrix, Rhoades, and Zappa.

Remember, it's all just opinion, but that's what makes this interesting!!!

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

Some favorites in no particular order:

Clapton, Beck & Page

The 3 Kings - Albert, B.B. & Freddie

George Harrison

James Burton

Muddy Waters

Steve Cropper

Robby Krieger - highly underated

Bonnie Raitt

Susan Tedeschi

Elvin Bishop

Billy Gibbons

Roy Buchanan

Mick Taylor

Buddy Guy - awesome in concert

SRV & brother Jimmie

Joe Walsh

Peter Frampton

Jimi Hendrix

Re: Eric Clapton being a "boring Delta wannabe" 1)IMHO you don't sustain a career spanning over three decades by being boring 2) listening to & reading about E.C. and his contemporaries is what made me seek out and listen to Albert, B.B. & Freddy King as well as Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Elmore James, T-Bone Walker & the list goes on... To me, like them or not, Clapton & his contemporaries have helped carry on the torch - carry on the blues.

------------------

Lew

Not Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll

thanks af, yea they do call ritenour captain fingers cwm35.gif

i'm gonna have to do some heavy searchin as not sure it was even him. maybe it was one of the toto dudes. toto was really a bunch of studio guys. the singer i think it was was lucky enough to date rosanna arquette - hence the song rosanna.

all i remember is it was an instrumental hit & saw some local guy at dick's last resort in arlington, tx play it & he was right on w/ it.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

gil, believe it was paul then replaced by freddie salem. http://www.buddharecords.com/noflash/newindex.html?pages/masters/outlaws.html

anybody got a lead (anything) for me on this? i think/can't find anything. he was a studio guitarist, believe from LA, & came out w/ this guitar rock/pop instrumental song in the i think early 90s. real fast rockin tune. it's the only pure guitar instrumental rock/pop song that was a top 40 hit i can think of (at least on this side of the Ventures).

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Hmmm...the few things that pop into mind from around that time are: Eric Johnson-Cliffs of Dover & Joe Satriani-Satch Boogie. Those were both HUGE FM rock station plays. Steve Vai's Passion & Warfare album was the first guitar instrumental album on the charts in years. Could you compare the track you heard to another song/artist? I think someone was also thinking of Steve Lukather(guy from Toto).

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

mdeneen-

I have to agree with your comments on Clapton; technician extraordinaire, but little soul in his playing. Anyone out there want to hear modern soulful blues guitar, check out Live at the El Mocambo dvd with Stevie Ray Vaughan. It is incredible. I saw Clapton this year, and he put on a clinic--having a stellar supporting cast (Steve Gadd and Billy Preston to name a few) didn't hurt--he showed us all aspiring musicians how it's done. It was perhaps the greatest rock and roll show I have ever seen, but I'm still gushing. I saw SRV back in '85, but I think I was as drunk as he was, so I don't remember much Tipsy.gif

I don't think anyone's mentioned Dave Mason. Co-founder of Traffic, a great songwriter and a fantastic guitar player--oh yeah, and what about Peter Green? The original Fleetwood Mac was a great blues band! Oh, and Rory Gallagher and Tommy Bolin!

mdeneen, tell us about Mr. JL Hooker!

------------------

1 pair Mahogany KLF-30s

1 Mahogany KLF-C7

1 pair Walnut 1977 Heresys

This message has been edited by Mr. Blorry on 02-17-2002 at 04:26 PM

boa, Thanks for bringing up Waddy Wachtel. Meant to put him on my list and forgot. I'm a big Linda Ronstadt fan so I've heard him quite a bit on record/cd and seen him many times on tour with her. He's also done alot of work with Warren Zevon and numerous other sessions. I also have an old album by the group Ronin which was baically Waddy with Rick Morotta on drums, Dan Dugmore o guitar & pedal steel (now doing alot of country sessions i.e. Trisha Yearwood & Martina McBride both influenced by Ronstadt)from Ronstadt's band & Stanley Sheldon on bass from Frampton's band. Cool group. Saw them at the old Bijou Cafe' in Philly a couple decades ago. Great studio musiacians but unfortunately they never caught on as a band in their own right. Waddy is a real rocker at heart. Enough of my ramblings and time tripping.

------------------

Lew

Not Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll