Who are your favorite guitarists?

synthfreek

Any guitarists out there?

For sheer tecnicality:

Al Dimeola(he's good and all but I wish he could play faster)

Michael Brook(buy Cobalt Blue and be schooled)

Steve Hillage(the most underated/unheard guitarist of the 70's)

Frank Zappa(another underated genius of the guitar)

Randy Rhoads(Ozzy)

Jimi Hendrix

Paco de Lucia

Vinnie Moore(Time Odyssey was the best of that entire crop of "neo-classical" guitar instrumental albums IMO)

Yngwie J. Malmsteen(not to be confused with all the other Yngwie Malmsteen's out there)

Me

Jeff Beck(recent "how could I forget him! Knew I'd have to edit" addition...aaargh. Blow By Blow is one of the best guitar albums PERIOD. Especially Cause We've Ended As Lovers)

For songs:

Jimmy Page(The Firm hahaha)

Jon Spencer/Judah Bauer(Jon Spencer Blues Explosion)

Steve Albini(Big Black/Shellac/uber-producer)

Joey Santiago(The Pixies)

Corin Tucker and Carrie Brownstein(Sleater Kinney)

Nick Drake

David Gilmour

Me

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

This message has been edited by synthfreek on 02-14-2002 at 01:39 AM

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this guy at haarding university blew me away. i stayed a week there for spring sing and he was my dorm mate for the weeks neighbor/friend. he was amazing. i never have heard a guitar played better than he did. but, i don't think this is what you were looking for... Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

How do you mean "not what I'm looking for"? I think I touched on nearly every style of playing except for straight jazz(Mark Whitfield, Joe Pass, Grant Green, Wes Montgomery), blues(Albert King, SRV, Albert Collins, almost anyone that records on Alligator Records) & country(Chet Atkins, Junior Brown, & Merle Haggard RIP). Maybe it's because you don't recognize any of these guys except for the "metal" guys.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

Already a pretty formidable list.

How about Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and since I'm a lefty guitar player myself, I'm always partial to Hendrix, Iommi, Eliot Easton and McCartney, and a little known blues guy named Coco Montoya. Then there's Dick Dale. Synthfreak, I have to agree with Mr. Dimeola, but there's also Slash and John McLaughlin.

If I had to single out one guy who has done more for the advancement of the art, it's actually between two guys: Hendrix, for being the most innovative, and Clapton, for his longevity and his desire to always explore new styles of music and last but not least, for his undying love of the blues.

Did I forget to mention Edward Van Halen?

------------------

1 pair Mahogany KLF-30s

1 Mahogany KLF-C7

1 pair Walnut 1977 Heresys

That Joe Satriani dude, the one that did 'Surfing with the Alien.'

He was no slouch.

There is a lot of Bands of different genres that have great Guitar players for there genre.

That one cat from Testament isn't bad.

I guess what I'm saying there is a lot of underated/unknown guitarists as well.

Ah, wotta I know, I'll go shite myself to Lustmord.

My absolute favorites are Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. Incredible technical skills.

Some others that I like are Tony Iommi, Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde (pretty much most of the guitarists that worked with Ozzy), Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Kirk Hammett, Slash, Dave Mustaine, Angus Young, Jon Schaffer, Dimebag Darrell, and Eddie Van Halen.

As you can see from my list, all rock and metal.

synthfreek said: "Al Dimeola(he's good and all but I wish he could play faster)"

Is this a joke? He does four finger runs that make most guitar 'greats' look like beginners.

Boa: Richie Blackmore & Tommy Shaw - you got that right. That other 'Styx' guy is pretty good tooSmile.gif

------------------

deanG

I have to agree with Dimeola (Dean, I think he was kidding :-). I have seen him 3 times and he never disappoints. For latin jazz, I also like Deluca and Oscar Lopez. Another favorite of mine and I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned here, is Michael Hedges. A brilliant guitarist that always put on a show while he was playing. I got to see him 2 months before he was killed in a car accident in San Francisco. If you get a chance, check out Aerial Boundries and Breakfast in the Field. I also agree with the Tommy Shaw/James Young (JY) combination from Styx.

But the greatest guitarist of all time... has to be Andres Segovia (imho). This guy lived into his 90's and was the father of classical guitar...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 02-14-2002 at 10:36 AM

Gotta be the great SRV-

He couldn't even read music but he played with some serious HEART, every song he played was phenominal.

Add to the list Mr. BB King, Slow Hand Eric Clapton,

David Gilmore, Steve Vie, Keith Richards... the list goes on and you guys have covered most of them.

------------------

LSU PAINTBALL- We'll cover you with our balls!

Paintball players do it 'till their balls break!

1 Pair KLF-30's

Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Pre-amp

Carver TFM-45 Amp

Teac AD-4 CD Player

boa,

I agree with Rickrath... fantastic guitarist! That band went to hell in a hand-basket when they turned to pop (Hi Fidelity, sheesh) with Cronin at the front. Same with Neal Schon of Journey. When Steve Perry joined the band (Infinity - btw, their best album with Perry at the vocals), he just wasn't the same anymore. Greg Rolle (Santana keyboardist) had had enough after their second album I think, and in came Jonathan Cain (The Baby's) to add gasoline to the fire...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems