Indy Fest 2009 - The official site thread

Michael,

As you know I have 3 drum mic clips for snare and two toms.

Also I just got some chotkeys... Jamo bracelets, Klipsch stickers

I got 7 lanyards for Back Stage Passes. They are also Jamo. No budget...sorry. But Jamo is cool.

Doug Carpenter has volunteered to man the headphone demo. We will put him probably in the sound booth or near it.

Good News!

Klipsch will be donating the following for the Broadripple Event:

(5) Custom 2's

(2) Image X5's

The C2's will be for the winning band and the X5's will be for the drawing we are having at the demo station.

Very Cool! Can I enter the drawing? [:D] I love the sound of my Image X10 but the Image X5's sound even better to me.... (it's a long story...)

I just hope the winners appreciate what they're getting. They may not to begin with but I bet they will after they use 'em awhile.... like, man, my music sounds, like, like music now

Hey Guys,

Please remember to post plenty of pictures for those of us who are not able to attend this year.

For those going to Roger's house on Friday night, make sure to bring your GPS. I'm pretty sure whoever came up with the expression "the middle of nowhere" was talking about Roger's place.

Glen, I hope you'll be able to watch Game 7 on the Big Screen.

Everyone: Have a great time and drink one for me!!!

From Nuvo News Weekly, Indianapolis

Teen Arts and Music Festival preview

Posted on June 10, 2009 by Seth Johnson

12 bands, 40 artists, all teens

The fifth annual Teen Arts and Music
Festival will take place at Broad Ripple Park June 13, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
The event, which will feature bands from around Indiana, as well as
artwork from many Indiana artists, will be open to the public.

"We have the most outstanding musical lineup I have experienced,"
event coordinator Matt Stokes said. "And with the help of the world's
best art coordinator, Janet Gilray, we have an unprecedented lineup of
talented artists displaying their works this year."

Hailing from Lawrence North High School, Rocketbot will be one of
the 11 bands performing in the Large Pavilion in Broad Ripple Park.

"I haven't been involved in anything like this, and I feel like it
is giving us and some of the younger bands there a good opportunity for
some publicity," Rocketbot drummer Jordan Inman said. "It's cool that
there is going to be a wide variety of ages playing at the festival."

The show will feature a variety of genres: Rocketbot's indie/experimental sound as well as The Are You Readys' pop-punk.

"I would say our sound is sort of a mix of post-rock, electronic and
garage-rock. We have some less traditional instrumentation like
vibraphone and glockenspiel that might differentiate us from other
bands at the festival," Rocketbot guitarist Scott Archer said. "But I'm
looking forward to seeing the different styles of music that come from all of the other bands. It should be a pretty eclectic show."

Rocketbot was founded by current vocalist and guitarist Brian Scott
and Archer. The two played for a time with computer-generated backing
tracks. Last summer, the duo expanded to a full band, adding a live
drummer (Inman), a keyboardist (Adam Chandler), another percussionist (Morgan Dragoo) and a bassist (Seth True).

Archer is feeling some jitters before his band's show: "I'm pretty
nervous about the usual - screwing up, technical issues, etc. - but I'm
really looking forward to playing in front of a crowd since it's been
almost a year."

Having never played in a festival environment, Archer is excited
about the opportunities it might afford. "I think the main appeal is
probably the amount of exposure that could come with playing an event
like this," Archer said. "I also like the idea that, since the focus
isn't necessarily on the bands, the exposure you get is based on how
well you play. The better you play the more people will come to watch,
which is refreshing."

In addition to having their music heard on a wider scale, the bands
also have the opportunity to be chosen by Stokes to record a demo. "A
few of the bands will be chosen by myself and a small committee to
record with Tim Brickley in the Hit City Recording Studios, making a
quality band demo for sale or distribution," Stokes said.

But, according to Stokes, his event is "not about judging bands or
artists but letting them feel like they are contributing to the
community by expressing their talents in public."

Over 40 youth artists will have their art on display in various tents to be located in the RiverWalk Teen Art Zone.

Artists, regardless of discipline, were chosen for the event based
on "personal presentation" and "artistic value," according to Stokes.

"Generally, the best bands and artists are those trying the hardest
to get their music and art out into the real world and somehow they
just end up being the chosen ones for the right reasons," Stokes said.

Roger and Michael, et al.,

I know you all will have a great time this weekend. I'm really bummed out that I won't be able to make it up this year. I will really miss hanging with the friends that I have made over the years at the annual Klipsch event (this would have been six straight years for me coming to the Klipsch Pligrimage/Fest).

If I continue typing I will just be depressed all the more!

David (aka Seadog)

Is anything happening at the Klispch HQ today (Friday)?

I have seen mention of possibilites with people in town for Indy Fest.

I would be interested in participating if so, I am very near the HQ at my office so I could make it on short notice.

Also I PM'd Roger my email and phone number but did not get a reply. Hopefully I dont get left out tonight.

3 PM the Pilgrims will meet in the lower lobby for a special tour with yours truely, Professor Thump. We have some nice demo's for everybody and a little party afterwards at Klipsch.

Key demo's will be:

• New decorum for the Klipsch building
  • HD 500 demo
  • P-39 demo
  • Palladium DTS True HD Audio

After the party we will depart for Rogers for more fun and games.

• Moderators

I have been reading this thing from the beginning with kind of a sick feeling knowing I couldn't make it, I know everyone will have a good time in the park.

Wish I could be there but if nothing else I hope everything goes off perfectly and everyone has a good time, have fun and we will be waiting for a full report.

Also Michael it's really nice what your doing for the kids, and Indy by giving the kids a chance to preform with a real audio setup, the kids will flip when they see/hear this setup they can play through ! [H]

Update- NOLA (Brian) and BenS are in town and listening the the Klipschorn Jubilees in the Gallery right now! No impressions yet. [:)][:)]

The trailer and truck are loaded and they're loaded DOWN! Lots of gear. Got some pics of that. Prepping picnic for tomorrow for crew and heading to Klipsch for the Professor Thump Magical Tour soon.[8-|] Then it's of to Roger's to check out his awesome HT setup. [:P]

Don't you wish you were here? [:o]

M

Mark Blanchard gave the crew a nice tour of the updated Klipsch facility with several listening demos. We spent the most time in the Palladium HT room, enthralled by the sound of 7 yes SEVEN channels of incredibly detailed Palladium sound. WOW.

Just got home from Rogers where about 15 of us enjoyed (ok not enjoyed) the Redwings game, some Shine a Light Stones, and playback of some DTS demo discs and snippets from fave movies. The pizza was incredible and everyone had a great time, although Picky is a bit miffed about the hockey outcome.

Spinal Tap is now playing at the House of Klipsch so we can all learn to speak with bad British accents at tomorrows show.

Nighty night!

M

I'm not into the roadie/heavy lifting stress thing -- but I do wish I was there for the great company and to watch everyone else wear themselves out. :)

My son is in his own Battle of the Bands tonight. It's the finals and they're in second place right now after 8 rounds. The highlight of the show will be watching him sing War Pigs while he's beating the skins.

Hey Gang,

It was great to see all of you guys come to Klipsch so we could show off some of our new stuff and the remodelling of the building interior. It seems like the Gremlins got to us a little bit with the P39 demo. I guess we have to send the Carey Audio amp back to the manufacturer for the second time to fix the problems we are seeing.

Roger your theater room was stellar as usual. Thanks for hosting us Friday night.

I want to also thank the Klipsch Roadie Crew and Groupies for their awesome work at the Broad Ripple Arts Feastival. We couldn't have done it without your help.

Michael you put together a KILLER P.A.. I think everyone was shocked at the shear massiveness of the FOH speakers. Those were also some of the best sounding monitors I have ever worked with. Picky and CustomSteve01 were great stage crew for mic assignments. Steve hauled the big trailer with his big rig. Nola was the chef of the day and the lunch BBQ. Ben did a bang up job on food and running the sound on the second stage. Ric Santiago was a big help getting the board up with Michael.

I didn't have time to take any pictures because I was too busy trying to keep the wheels on the wagon but I can't wait for posts of all the pictures and videos.

Thanks my friends for all your work.

I also want to congradulate all the bands that performed. There were truely inspirational glimpses of the talent centered in Indy. I look forward to hearing recordings from these bands in the future. We had the pleasure to give away over $1200 dollars in retail value for In Ear Monitors to the best band. It was difficult to choose because there were so many great bands but the winners were determined to be the Rocketbots!

Special mention should go to the following:

City of Noise kicked it off and did some really fine instrumental work.

The Grimes Girls were extraordinarily talented on the fiddle and acoustic guitar.

Reload drums were rockin.

Star Sixty-Seven had a sound similar to Green Day in my mind and quite the stage presence.

Razorback Llama - incombent winners from last year showed why they are one of the best. Vocals and Lead Guitar were quite tasty with mojo dripping from the strings.

Of course Tim Brickley and the Broken Hearts presented their well polished flare and expression of dynamics.

The Are You Ready's were definately one of my favorites with great sounding drums, guitar and vocals.

Sanuk was another fav that had a New Vogue trendy flavor of originality.

So overall there was a most impressive showing of talent flowing at Broad Ripple Park Saturday. I think Rich did a great job MC'ing the event and Matt had a great idea to kickoff this youth oriented event. I think we will see great things to come from this contest.