Do we want a new section for "Analyzing your room software"?

Coytee

I've been intrigued about some of these software packages that allow you to analyze a room. such as http://easera.com/

There has been some chatter about various packages and I've seen Doc Who use his little red suitcase setup out in the field. I've been debating on buying the above and thought it might be nice if some others had same interest to share our learning experience. It would be nice to have a place for questions, answers, posting results and the like. Here's a place to purchase it from https://www.renkus-heinz.com/easera/

I'll admit I was also wondering (hoping) that if maybe 5/10 people had this same interest, we might be able to get a group discount AND all have the same platform we're working from. I must say in fair warning, this isn't necessarily going to be considered cheap. As I understand it though, this is the (or one of the) better/best platforms you can use.

I got to wondering if this was a subject worthy of deeper discussions (I happen to think it is) and if so, would it be better placed in 2-channel, technical or general forums...

I ultimately felt it might be best served in its own forum and brought it up with Amy. By having any room treatment issues, any software conversations all in one location, it might make searching the subject easier?

I asked her if they could do that she said they probably could if there was enough interest.

I told her I'd put this out here and ask. Sooooooooooooooooooooooo, do you think there is merit in a new forum for the purpose of discussing analyzing your room with some of these software packages?

IMHO........good idea. A "rooms" forum where all things about rooms and the like could be discussed in one place.

I'd go so far as saying that it would be great if Klipsch could even make some suggestions about "rooms" that would help to make their products perform at their best. Here is an area that is crucially important and we seem to gloss over it. I think that may be because it is complicated and somewhat of an unknown.

I think there is merit in learning more about rooms, wall coverings, ideal dimensions, taking measurements, interpreting measurements, treating rooms, plus more, etc.

Here is an area that is crucially important and we seem to gloss over it. I think that may be because it is complicated and somewhat of an unknown.

I think there is merit in learning more about rooms, wall coverings, ideal dimensions, taking measurements, interpreting measurements, treating rooms, plus more, etc.

I agree, with your agreement! I also think the room issues tend to get glossed over. It's one reason I'm personally interested in going through the process of trying to learn more about that subject and felt if there were a group of people who had the same interest, perhaps it could turn into a larger exercise.

Maybe it would make sense to just rename the architectural section? I think what you're suggesting is kinda what the original intent of that section was originally...

I might be interested in a group buy on EASERA, but I also know that it's really expensive....have you gotten in contact with Renkus Heinz to see if they're offering any kind of group buy?

have you gotten in contact with Renkus Heinz to see if they're offering any kind of group buy?

Not yet... I wanted to see if this thread died like an old Jenson triax speaker I once saw hooked to a pigtail and plugged into the wall or if the subject had some legs.

Thus far, it seems the subject might have legs but having not read all the responses again, I'm not sure I see a single person say they are intereted in forking out any funds....

Perhaps if I did this, I could create a little red suitcase like some cool dude I know and rent it out to folks...

Thus far, it seems the subject might have legs but having not read all the responses again, I'm not sure I see a single person say they are intereted in forking out any funds....

Perhaps if I did this, I could create a little red suitcase like some cool dude I know and rent it out to folks... Idea

Coytee,

There are other software packages available for much less money. There is the free REW and the $99 TrueRTA, and I'd imagine more. Perhaps their prices reflect their true value, but it seems discussion might be beneficial. Or did you intend this new forum to only be about the software you have referenced?

Thanks,

Rod

There are other software packages available for much less money. There is the free REW and the $99 TrueRTA, and I'd imagine more. Perhaps their prices reflect their true value

I'm the first to say I don't know much (anything!) about this stuff... I've got a friend who's been in the sound biz and says this EASRA is the cats meow doing everything "we" (anyone with a room) might want/need it to do. I'm simply going on his word/expertise. You can trust that I don't WANT to spend more money just for the sake of burning more money. At the same time though, I won't want to buy a cheap plastic hammer when I really need a 12 pound slege... Meaning, if I did this, I'd want to be sure to get the right tool the first time instead of getting irked at having an insufficient too. I'll have to admit in this regard, I'm a bit backward as I'm willing to start at (what I believe to be since I'm trusting his judgement) the top of the quality pile and work down to my price point, rather than start at the bottom of the price points and try to find something "sufficient". I usually end up with over kill (more expensive) but, historically, I'd suggest that I've usually ended up with a better tool by going quality than by getting the cheaper too. I liken it to asking... 'when was the last time you regretted buying quality?' compared to, 'when was the last time you regretted buying something because it was cheap?"

but it seems discussion might be beneficial

Regardless of who uses what, I agree 100%. I really think this is a subject that is little known, rarely discussed and at least in my case, poorly understood.

Or did you intend this new forum to only be about the software you have referenced?

nooooooo, not a bit. I just figured if I personally decided to do this and there were some others who had a thought about doing it...perhaps if we jumped into the water together (for better or worse) that maybe we could motivate each other to actually DOING something rather than sitting around the campfire talking about how interesting it might be to take some kind of action.

If we had a handful of people that had the interest (and excess cash) to dump into this then perhaps the vendor would consider a bit of a discount. I've sent them an email asking as much and have yet to hear back.

I think if we had...what we might call a users group, doing something like this... it would make it much easier if we all had the same tools so if someone had a problem they coudln't figure out (likely to be me on how to simply plug in a microphone), someone else who had the same system could direct me to "click this, then that then that..." and have your answer. (then they'd hang up the phone while rolling their eyes telling themselves what a dummy I was)

If we had 10 people doing this using 8 different types of software, we might get from point A to Z however, I think we'd have a more convoluted path since we might not all be going down the same lane. If we all have the same car and map, we should be able to stay up with each other pretty well. That's the only logic behind my thoughts of a single platform.

So Richard.....I decided to go through the EASERA marketing material to

figure out it's full feature set of outputs (the stuff you'd use to

actually do something):

• Impulse Response
  • ETC
  • Schroeder Integral
  • "Echo Criteria" (not sure what this is)
  • Frequency Response
  • Phase response
  • Group Delay
  • Real/Imaginary Data

There are a lot of features built into EASERA to make this data

easier to capture, or capture with higher resolution (like MLS, vs TDS,

vs Chirp, vs Swept Sine, etc...). If you have full control over your

environment, then I'll oversimplify and claim that all the different

methods will produce the same results.

Now just to make an objective comparison, here's what REW offers:

• Impulse Response
  • ETC
  • Schroeder Integral
  • Frequency Response
  • Phase Response (in the next revision)
  • Group Delay (in the next revision)

I also wanted to throw it out there that impedance measurements

would also be a very valuable tool for DIY speaker design. As far as I

know, EASERA doesn't offter that ability. However, Speaker Workshop and

ARTA do (and they're free too). Impedance measurements allow one to

better design passive crossovers and it can also give you the T/S

parameters for your drivers. I believe ARTA can produce all the same

results as REW as well.

From an absolute/scientific perspective,

I would agree that EASERA is the best and most versatile tool for

acoustic measurements. However, as an engineer, I simply can't

rationalize the different in cost/performance ratio.

To be

honest, and I'm probably demonstrating my ignorance of EASERA, I don't

know of any acoustical problem that EASERA will identify that I

couldn't get REW to also identify. So if my practical purpose of using

the measurements is to find problems and fix them, then it's not a case

of a 15lb sledgehammer versus a plastic toy, but rather a free

sledgehammer compared against one with a nice cushioned handle...

However,

I'd love to learn about problems that can't be captured in REW....that

would push me a lot more into investigating EASERA as it would have

extra functional purpose to pursue.

Well Doc... half of what you said it did was in Greek to me and the other half, latin!

Perhaps a mention of the above to Mark would help illustrate the wisdom of his ways... (in other words, maybe he can explain his logic as to why one is better than the other)

I'll try to ask him asap.

I think as a common platform REW would be the best, as you would have more peer to peer user support over the various forums, and more experience in using the software package, compared to to something like the EASERA. Try to find user support for 'tech' questions for something like that.... you might find the odd pro dude using it, but for him to communicate to you would be like trying to understand german when you speak english.