WHAT IS THIS CONTRAPTION........

Gilbert

I'll guess at a two-stage continuously variable transmission with a torque converter.

Well, I've always suspected you read a lot! I googled CVTs quite a bit but didn't see exactly that. It looks small for an auto tranny if that's what you were thinking, and the donutoid isn't big enough anyway, couldn't hold a stator (maybe it's a small clutch). OTOH, the U-joint type doohickeys (sp?) look like they could be power rollers in a CVT. I only see a rotation connection on one end, so maybe the gear is the other end of a transmission. I'll bet you're right, maybe for some high speed rotating device.

When is Gilbert going to spring the answer for us?

I'm backing off my theroy that is a torque converter. Probably just the convex side of the disk.

This is certainly a variation of the torodial continuously variable transmission. You can Google around. The concept goes back to the 1800's

I share C's questions about what seems to be a center element which has gear teeth.

Wm McD

It reminds me of a "Torsen" rear wheel drive differential for equal torque to both wheels while allowing to go independently around turns but the spoke gear is for like bikes or motor cycles. But I like the CVT answer better as this would eliminate constant burden of shifting gears.

JJK

There's more than one kind of CVT according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission and http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm, and most don't use belts. There are toroidal (which look a little like this one and use "power rollers"), and hydraulic among others. Bob Crites nailed the item and pic, but I still don't understand what it does.