Advance Auto Parts.........

tommyboy

So, as I type this, I'm in the middle of changing the rotors and pads on our Impala. The reason I'm on the forum instead of doing the brakes is because these momo's gave me the wrong rotors! So, I called them up, explained what happened, and told them they need to bring me new rotors. They tried telling me that wasn't their policy, and that I'd have to come up there and get them. I asked the guy how he expected me to get there, seeing as the cars ripped all apart right now. He says.......... good point. At which point the manager gets on the phone. After about 5 minutes of him trying to tell me they weren't bring the parts, I simply asked hiim to look up my name, and see how much I shop there. I told him, bring me the parts, or I'll take my business elsewhere. So needless to say, the parts are on their way. Even still, after having to go through all this, I think I'll use auto zone from now on!

I work in the business. The problem is these places hire people with little or no experience and they don't know crap from applebutter. I called up once for an alternator for my saab and the guy said to me who makes that, pontiac. You may want to give your business to a smaller place with more experienced employees.

Tom

Most of the folks who work in these type of places in the NYC area don't even own cars...much less know how to work on them...or help others trying to work on them.

The last time I bought my car to one of these places, I arrived early and found the staff trying to burn rubber in my Z28. I'ts an automatic....but they where trying it anyway....duh

There is an Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, and O'Reilly store in the small town where I live. They have pretty knowledgeable folks in all three of them, but it helps when you know exactly what you need too.

Bruce

The last time I bought my car to one of these places, I arrived early and found the staff trying to burn rubber in my Z28. I'ts an automatic....but they where trying it anyway....duh

Easy, just place left foot on brake, crank wheel 45 degrees in either direction, move gear to D(rive), if front wheel drive you can optionally move the gear into R(everse) best for slipery surfaces, then place right foot on gas peddle, about 40% down (varies based on car's HP) and then lift off left foot quickly. She will burn rubber.

I go to realoem.com and find exact part numbers for my Bimmer so when I order or buy parts I double check the numbers which has worked so far but is no guarantee. I dread having to go in for an oil filter element I think I'll just order them off the internet.

It's not just some of the jobbers that don't know anything. Years ago, when I needed a viscous fan clutch for my police-model Caprice, I took the part with me to the dealer (I rode there on my motorcycle).

I had the part number stamped on the part and the car's year and serial number. The stooge behind the parts counter told me he couldn't tell what part was needed, because two painted letters on the part were no longer visible, and showed me in his parts catalogue that there were over twenty similar parts. Without those two letters, it was simply impossible to know which part I needed, so I was out of luck.

I was surprised that he wasn't embarrassed to show how useless he was. I went to a parts jobber a few blocks away, told him the year, model and engine size (5.7L). He asked, "Regular or police?" I replied "Police", and he brought me the right part, as simply as that. The price was better than at the dealer's, as well.

I don't know if switching is best. Seems like they acknowledged the volume of business you give them and went the extra mile. It might have been frustrating, but it worked out in your favor. That's what you want. I'd stay with them for that.

I agree. Anyone can make a mistake, but they did go to the trouble of fixing the problem to your satisfaction, even if you did have to bug them to do it.

No, you guys are right. Im not boycotting them.................... yet. Not only are they the closest parts store to me, but they DID go the extra length, and brought me the parts. And top of all that, they give me 10% military discount; which Auto Zone ONLY gives on parts. AAP gives the discount on everything in the store.......

I've been wrenching away on cars for about 10 years now, and this is the first time this or anything like this has ever happened to me; hence the reason I was SO upset about it. I guess one mistake in all that time ain't so bad.......... It's human nature