New Cornwall Midrange Horns

greg928gts

Guest David H

I think it might be better than internally mounted. Why do you say not as good?

Greg, it has always been my understanding that the closer the drivers proximity to each other the better the blend.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg, it has always been my understanding that the closer the drivers proximity to each other the better the blend.

Those look as close in that cabinet as they would be in the Cornwall to my eye. What about lining up the tweeter over the midrange, that might make a difference? I noticed you flush mounted the mid horn, I think that's an improvement. I'm doing this with my 2" versions.

Greg

Guest David H

Those look as close in that cabinet as they would be in the Cornwall to my eye. What about lining up the tweeter over the midrange, that might make a difference? I noticed you flush mounted the mid horn, I think that's an improvement. I'm doing this with my 2" versions.

Greg

My concern is proximity to the woofer, For instance the Cornwall woofer is nearly a foot away from the midrange, so mounting the larger horn inside the box brings it within just a few inches. Probably more preference than anything else, however I have seen many comment about this exact problem with the original Cornwall. I have not researched it yet, but as I understand the Cornwall 3 woofer was raised to provide a better blend.

How is the 2" coming? I am working on templates for a fourth horn today.

Guest David H

On the original Cornwall test pair

Looks like there's a fabric of some sort covering the bass ports from the inside? Could be adding to the "muddy" bass response?

Just a thought..

BS

Don't think so, I added that grill cloth to keep the mice out. The problem with these would be the Cerwin Vega 15, I just dont think it is as musical as the Crites woofer or the K33. Then again the K-33 doesn't sound as good as the Crites.

The Crites woofer upgrade is on the list of upgrades for this Cornwall.

My concern is proximity to the woofer, For instance the Cornwall woofer is nearly a foot away from the midrange, so mounting the larger horn inside the box brings it within just a few inches. Probably more preference than anything else, however I have seen many comment about this exact problem with the original Cornwall. I have not researched it yet, but as I understand the Cornwall 3 woofer was raised to provide a better blend.

How is the 2" coming? I am working on templates for a fourth horn today.

Ah yes, of course, duh.

The 2" horn is coming along nicely. I'm going to do a restoration of the Cornwall cabinets, so progress will be slower than if I just put the horns in. The mid horns will be very close to the woofer, so that should help the blend.

The woofer opening on mine is 13-1/4" diameter. Is the woofer rear mounted for a reason? Is that creating some compression? What would be the affect of mounting the woofer in the front of the cabinet, recessed in?

I'm going to use the Beyma CP09 tweeter for my Super Cornwalls. They will fit between the top of the mid horn and the top of the cabinet. Specs look almost identical to the larger CP25.

Please tell more about the new horn. Heresy? La Scala? Jubilee?

Greg

Guest David H

Greg, flush mounting the woofer is a great idea, and an upgrade, rear mounting the woofer was simply easier. A flush mounted woofer makes proper use of the baffle, really a win win idea.

I have seen the the CP-09, but never thought about using it, I will be interested in hearing about it. I have been so pleased with the Crites I never looked any further.

The new Fastrac horn is is classified for the moment, I do not want to get anyones hopes up. I will send you a pm.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a pair of these from GotHover this week, and they are fantastic. Great workmanship, and a super nice guy to do business with. Right now I have them sitting on top of the cabinets, and I like the sound better than the Altec 511B's that I was using.. Alot better WAF too.. Thanks alot GotHover..

Guest David H

Thanks Dan, I am pleased that you like them, and appreciate the feedback.

I send another pair of these to a gentleman in Canada who has been anxiously awaiting their arrival. After he paid the $70 shipping bill, and the $100 import tax to get them into Canada, and the 2 weeks waiting for them to arrive, I totally blew it and forgot to include the adapters for the K-55's. Now he is waiting for the adapters. I feel really bad about the screw up, and just hope he likes them as well as you do.

Thanks, Dave Harris

Time to fess up...

I am the canuck that ordered GotHover's Fastrax horns a few weeks ago when I first saw his posts about them.

Before I get on with my impressions, I would first like to thank CANADA customs for holding up a package that could have seriously caused a global catastrophe...WOOD.

Morons...Please don't make fun of my government, they do a good enough job of it themselves.

OK...On to my new horns.

These babies rock. I could end it there, but I'm sure you all would still have questions....So I'm gonna attempt to answer them all in one post.

My room is very small. I am practically listening nearfield. Center to center my Corns are only about 8 feet apart...and I am barely sitting 8 feet back from them (very close),so I was looking for something that would tame them horns a bit. When I saw Dave's Fastrax I knew (at least I hoped) that I had found it.

First impressions with them sitting atop my Decorators was off. Still seemed a bit lacking as far as imaging went, and still a bit bright.

Was I ever wrong...

I had them way off level and not nearly positioned right on top of the Corns...Once I had the correct amount of shims under the rear base of the horn (4 maxell cassettes) I was on my way to audio bliss. As I type this they are still playing and the sound is incredible!!

I first listened to some Supertramp, RUDY from Crime and it still sounds a bit bright...I have come to the conclusion that it's my vinyl causing this because when I switched up to my audiophile copy of breakfast I can push them hard with no harshness whatsoever.

Donald Fagen...Smooth as silk

Elton John...I can't stop playing, Sounds incredible

Cat Stevens...Guitar and vocals cleaned up very nice, always sounded a bit tinny

Santana...Samba Pa Ti, I dont think there is any solution...but it does sound less harsh

Dire Straits...Simply amazing improvements on the sax tracs.

I can honestly say without a doubt that this horn is a massive improvement for the Cornwall, and I am far from an audiophile.(or so I thought)

I posted in the sweet spot thread the other day mentioning my sweet spot was extremely small...Today it's 2 feet bigger in my listening position.

I am honestly thinking about just leaving them on top of the Corns, they sound...and look soo good.

Even the wife says they look cool...that should say it right there.

Amazing job Dave. [Y]

post-31641-138194660662_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

MechMan, thaks for the great write up. I am pleased you like your horns and really sorry for the delays. Keep us informed as to your crossover changes or if you don't feel they are necessary.

I have been listening to all of the music on your sample list, except Santana, I dont believe I have it. Nice choices for a sampler and not your common Norah Jones. My freind Paul says Norah can no longer be used for a sampler, because she sound good on everything. (Its true)

Thanks, Dave H

BTW, love the Maxell poster.

Guest David H

Gary O

The horn mouth is 6.5 x 14

Horn throat is 1x1

Frame around the mouth is 15 x 9

Fc 400Hz, reccomended crossover 500Hz - 600Hz

Total depth of the horn can not exceed 13 1/2 inches to clear the inside of the cornwall. Look through the rest of this thread to see the installation.

Man i was just starting to piece together a pair of diyer Cornwalls, after searching Bob Crites web page on upgrades, now finding this(which look like some beauties). I think i know the route i will be taking. Just leaves me a couple of question while I am here.

1. Why wood for materials on these and if I score some K-55 drivers what does it take to mount up, or is there another driver recommended.

2. Kind of not about the horns but about crossovers, looks like Bob offers the b, b2, and b3 anybody's opinion on all of these or any would be appreciated.

3 MDF or plywood for the Cornwall cabs.

will be only used for 2 channel for right now that is. The only reason I am doing this is cause no one in my area that I've came across lately is selling them, plus once i paid shipping and handling I could just build them with some killer upgrades. But I sure am I came across this post.

thanks

nick

Guest David H

1. Why wood for materials on these and if I score some K-55 drivers what does it take to mount up, or is there another driver recommended.

The wooden horn has been around for decades, and it doesn't ring out like metal. The advantage of this horn is not as much the material as the Tractrix design. The adapters to mount the K-55 are $12 for a pair, available from parts express. I have a few pairs left, that I will include with the horns.

Kind of not about the horns but about crossovers

If you are looking at using the Fastrac horn, and want to use Crites crossovers, I would use Bobs Cornscala crossovers.

MDF or plywood for the Cornwall cabs.

Material is all preferance, MDF will resonate less, but is heavier and not nearly as durable.