Reasonable receiver to power entire THX Ultra2 7.2 system. Can I find one for under $1,000?

celladr

Lol, tough times, eh? It sucks when you can only throw a grand into a receiver. [;)]

I'd look to Denon, Yamaha, Harman/Kardon or Onkyo and see what they offer at the $1000 range. You should be able to get a very, very nice receiver for a grand from any of them.

I picked up a Marantz 7001 last month and LOVE IT. Got it for well under half msrp and it will play all of the latest HD codecs. Got it off Audiogon.

There are deals EVERYWHERE! If you have the money, today is by far the best time I've ever seen to buy used electronics. It's like all the people going into forclosure also liked high end electronics to go with their ARMs because there is a huge surplus of high end equipment for pennies on the dollar.

Do some research, but you should be able to find a top of the line receiver for under 500 bucks if your patient. Check your local Craigslist - at one time I purchased an Onkyo NR1000 (or whatever their flagship model was about 2 years ago - the one similar to the flagship integra that allows you to change out the cards in the back so it is truly future proof) (although Onkyo discontinued it and never made any upgrade cards, it was still a cool concept)..... Anyway, I got one of these for 150 bucks off Craigslist from some rich guy an hour away from me and sold it the next day on Ebay for 1200. Just be patient and do lot's of searching. you will find a killer deal.

• Moderators

There are deals EVERYWHERE! If you have the money, today is by far the best time I've ever seen to buy used electronics. It's like all the people going into forclosure also liked high end electronics to go with their ARMs because there is a huge surplus of high end equipment for pennies on the dollar.

That is especially true here in Florida where we have one of the highest forclosure rates in the US. I have found numerous sweet deals on CL. My latest was a Velodyne HGS15 with the piano black finish for $200. They normally sell for around $700 - $900. Talking about being desperate for cash. I couldn't believe how cheap he was selling it.

I picked up a Marantz 7001 last month and LOVE IT. Got it for well under half msrp and it will play all of the latest HD codecs. Got it off Audiogon

Do you mean the 7002? The 7001 is only HDMI v1.2. In order to get the newest codecs, you would need a BD player that can decode them internally, such as the PS3.

I agree with previous post. Look at Pioneer.

I have the sc-07 with kl-650's and kl-525's, been very happy. Think the 650's might like a little more than 140 watts though. I have had mid bass issues but could just be my room.

Have a 53tx that i'm using in bedroom, very nice reciever as well (wish it had hdmi)

OneCall has the elite receivers marked down right now. sc-05 for $999, pretty good price.

• 2 weeks later...

200 wpc... Min....

Go separates.. Pre amps will come and go, so will the connections.. and upgrades with codecs and features.. If you have a dead quiet separate amp it will allow you to trade later, and keep the balls you need for a Ultra 2 system running great! I use a Sunfire amp, and I am very pleased. 200 x 7.

Look for a great pre amp with bells that will get you through.. There are some cheap priced ones that seem to have bells and whistles that are new like Emotiva, Integra/Onkyo... and used. Take your pick?

I know a few in here that use a 2-3 year old pre amp or more.. Hook that into a great separate powerful clean amp, and enjoy it..

200 wpc... Min....

Go separates.. Pre amps will come and go, so will the connections.. and upgrades with codecs and features.. If you have a dead quiet separate amp it will allow you to trade later, and keep the balls you need for a Ultra 2 system running great! I use a Sunfire amp, and I am very pleased. 200 x 7.

Look for a great pre amp with bells that will get you through.. There are some cheap priced ones that seem to have bells and whistles that are new like Emotiva, Integra/Onkyo... and used. Take your pick?

I know a few in here that use a 2-3 year old pre amp or more.. Hook that into a great separate powerful clean amp, and enjoy it..

Roger didn't you have an issue with non THX Certified Pre/Receivers being able to provide a signal strong enough to drive the KA-1000 amp? Or was that another issue you spoke about tryting to get your subs set up to perform properly?