Should I hook up my old turntable?

merkin

Ahhh........Rich? A little too much info there, buddy! LOL Even if I did wear ballet shoes to play records, I don't think I would post about it!!! [:$] Joking!

Maybe you need something like these........

MP.jpg

MoPads!

Here is a link----------------------------Click HERE!

There may be other isolation products that are better, but these work for me and are about $40.

Dennie

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With my Technics, when I put the dust cover down you can hear it over the speakers.

First, is it sitting on a solid surface?

Second, is the suspension working right? On mine at least, the platter and tonearm move independently of the plinth on a sub-chassis and are suspended on four adjustable coil springs. When I first got it, they were all mis-aligned and out of adjustment, so I spent an hour or so getting them working right.

I don't know if your model is suspended the same way, but it's probably worth taking a look to see if it just needs a little sorting out.

I briefly thought about hooking up my old Phillips table, but my stereo already sounds more or less LP'ish so I bailed on the idea. I can't stand scratches and other sounds on vinyl either. But then, that's my problem of course.

I briefly thought about hooking up my old Phillips table, but my stereo already sounds more or less LP'ish so I bailed on the idea. I can't stand scratches and other sounds on vinyl either. But then, that's my problem of course.

I know of a good "retirement" home for that old Philips of yours. [;)]

I know what you are talking about. I have to walk on egg shells around my Thorens, but it's sitting on a box that my vinyl is in. I was thinking about building a shelf with a marble, granite, or wood base to help isolate the vibrations better.

Thanks for the info Dennie, I was going to stop by Music Direct tomorrow and I seen that they carry the Auralex brand and I think I will pick that up. It just might be cheaper in the long run, plus it gives me more of a reason to stop in and maybe purchase some vinyl.

James

<<" The vinyl seems a little mellower, if that is a word.">>

I'm pretty sure on THIS site that 'mellower' is a word.

In my yout, I was pretty anal with regard to my albums. I handled them like nitroglycerin, kept them insanely clean, used the disc washer every play, always rotated the sleves 90 degrees etc, etc ,etc. But when I listen to them now, I am supremely bummed when I hear them snap and crackle. I am also annoyed that I have to get up and flip the record over to listen to the other side! I am afraid that I have been successfully seduced by the CD and digital music. Man, what a wuss I have become in my old age. I just wish they were cleaner.

But, I have a ton of them and many aren't on disc. I love the artwork and reading the liner notes while I listen. My 17 year old daughter is fascinated by them. I'll pull out an old original recording, say Hank WIlliams "Lonesome Whistle" and then start playing her the covers up through the years. Eventually I'll get to the Little Feat version which just kicks the hell out of all of them so she can see how the music has changed and morphed into what we hear today. So, I still enjoy having them around. It's fun to listen to something great you had completely forgotten about. I have an old Denon TT, nothing special and I don't plan on replacing it unless I find an absolute steal on a classic.

I also admit that I still enjoy the look of my old vintage stuff. I found a matching tuner for my amp just so I could have a stack of matching components! I guess that makes me a geek. Seeing all those lights and the TT sitting there just makes me want to blow the grills off my Klipsch. I wish I still had my old Teac Reel to Reel!

I sure am glad I have a slab foundation in my home. Nothing like 30 tons of concrete to set your gear on to prevent hearing footsteps ect. No TippieToing around for me, just drop the needle and let the tunes fly!Stick out tongue

Yea I know what you mean, since I have my setup on the second floor that was an addition to the original house from a previous owner and the neighbor. So yes, after all these years the floor creeks and crack and any other sound you might want to add plus it slopes in some parts, this is the entire second floor not just the room that the setup is in. That is why I hope the Auralex will work, if not then I would make a wall mount for it.

The things you do for you system... [:S]

James

Ahhh........Rich? A little too much info there, buddy! LOL Even if I did wear ballet shoes to play records, I don't think I would post about it!!! Embarrassed Joking!

MP.jpg

MoPads!

There may be other isolation products that are better, but these work for me and are about $40.

Dennie

I was kidding about the ballet shoes, but I do walk gently around the TT.

Yea, something like that Dennie.But not those ones since they are sloped. I was going to get some foam, (cheap) or maybe some of those isolation cones. I saw on Audiogon where someone took tow pieces of MDF/plywood and set 2" of foam between it with the TT on top.

With my Technics, when I put the dust cover down you can hear it over the speakers.

First, is it sitting on a solid surface?

Second, is the suspension working right? On mine at least, the platter and tonearm move independently of the plinth on a sub-chassis and are suspended on four adjustable coil springs. When I first got it, they were all mis-aligned and out of adjustment, so I spent an hour or so getting them working right.

I don't know if your model is suspended the same way, but it's probably worth taking a look to see if it just needs a little sorting out.

Islander,

The TT is on a solid wood table, and I have hardwood floors, so yes, I need to isolate it somehow.

As far as the suspension, that is a good question. The bottom is covered, not sure how to access it. I do have the manual, I will check that and go from there.

Ahhh........Rich? A little too much info there, buddy! LOL Even if I did wear ballet shoes to play records, I don't think I would post about it!!! Embarrassed Joking!

MP.jpg

MoPads!

Dennie

I was kidding about the ballet shoes, but I do walk gently around the TT.

Yea, something like that Dennie.But not those ones since they are sloped. I was going to get some foam, (cheap) or maybe some of those isolation cones. I saw on Audiogon where someone took tow pieces of MDF/plywood and set 2" of foam between it with the TT on top.

Hey Rich, I thought you were joking and I was just messin' with you.

The MoPads come as a pkg. of 8 pieces. So you can configure them at different angles or flat.

Here is a different picture of of the package......

750-MoPAD_img_boxshot.jpg

They do have other products, but this one was recommended to me and they are working fine.

Dennie

Hmmmmm..... MoPads, foam between MDF or something heavy, or stone or concrete on tennis balls. I'll need to make something for my Dual CS-5000. Probably whatever's cheapest but the MoPads look kind of cool.

Wonder if they improve the sound of very inexpensive speakers as claimed?

Klipsch uses some of the Auralex room treatments and boy things did sound really awesmoe there.

and, the MoPads look kind of cool

My TT's are on the second floor of a frame house. OTOH, they are sitting on a solid box with about 250 lbs. of cheap sand in it. Audiophile sand is really expensive, but this seems to work just fine to prevent skipping...though I'm sure the sound would be sweeter and warmer with 10.00/lb audiophile grade sand.

Dave

..though I'm sure the sound would be sweeter and warmer with 10.00/lb audiophile grade sand.

No. For real improvement you need the 32.95/lb audiophile grade sand. The 10.00/lb stuff isn't any better than what you can you dig up at the beach.

Seriously, I am going to buy some raquet balls tomorrow. And over the weekend I willexperiment with them. I also need to get some rubber feet for the table that the TT sits on, I think that will help a bunch. I will let you know how it works out. It sure as heck cant hurt, and minimal investment. Hopefully I can take off my ballet slippers(that is for you Dennie- HAHA)

My 2x10 floor joists are bouncy causing tt trouble at my place. They should have been 2x12's - you guessed it - home inspector's didn't catch it.

In the gallery room, it has a crawl space under it so sometime this summer I'm going to install a beam which will support the 16 foot joists at their mid point. That should do it.

251332jpg.jpg

Hey James, You do get 2 sets of MoPads, but you also get 4 wedges for adjusting the angle. As you can see in this picture, the outer ones have the wedges on them, the center one's are behind them. You can turn the wedges around and make the Mopad level or use them as in the picture for a greater angle.

I hope that is clearer.

Dennie

Seriously, I am going to buy some raquet balls tomorrow. And over the weekend I willexperiment with them. I also need to get some rubber feet for the table that the TT sits on, I think that will help a bunch. I will let you know how it works out. It sure as heck cant hurt, and minimal investment. Hopefully I can take off my ballet slippers(that is for you Dennie- HAHA)

Hey Rich, Tennis Balls, Racquetballs, Ping Pong balls, Volley Balls.......whatever it takes to get you out of those darn Ballet Shoes!!!!! [;)]

Dennie[:|]