New La Scala II's Up and Running!

Some of you may remember the following post for some B-stock La Scala II's on eBay direct from Klipsch early in March (thanks, Bill!):

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/116733/1177192.aspx#1177192

If not for the Forum I wouldn't have seen the auction. I was not looking for another pair of Klipsch speakers. However I had just encouraged a friend to get a new set of La Scala II's and had helped him set them up a few weeks earlier. So I was reminded of just how good the new La Scala's sound, and really hoped to get a pair myself.

The timing was not great for me. But I rationalized that since these La Scala II's are B-stock--the top and the bottom finishes do not match to Klipsch standards--I might get a deal too good to pass up. And I did--I won the auction, and the total cost was $2658 delivered.

img1798e.jpgLaScala II

They sound incredible with the Welborne 300B set amps, and I'm looking forward to driving them with some bigger amps in the weeks ahead! These blow away every other set of speakers I have, so thanks again to the Forum and to Klipsch for helping me get these beauties! Even Gus (our dog in the lower right hand corner) enjoys listening to them...

• Moderators

Great price or some great speakers, they look nice. [Y] I think the 1" sides look much better and is said to be one of the big changes for the better, I had first seen them in Hope at the Pilgrimage and thought they looked much better with the new changes.

Great price or some great speakers, they look nice. Yes I think the 1" sides look much better and is said to be one of the big changes for the better, I had first seen them in Hope at the Pilgrimage and thought they looked much better with the new changes.

Hey dtel,

Yeah that was fun being at Hope and hearing one of the early sets of La Scala II's in the listening room. I think that was 2006, wasn't it? As good as the La Scala II's sound, you can really feel how substantial they are when you move them--the two-piece cabinet weighs like 175 lbs! I like the aesthetics of the thicker sides, too.

triceratops

That's a beauty system there! Love the teak cabinet too! What's the turntable- interesting design there.

Yeah, you'd never know the veneer didn't match, looks great and bet it whoops a$$ in that room! Nice 2 ch rig.

Michael

Thanks, Michael! Yeah, I'm happy the finish mismatch isn't too noticeable with everything set up. The turntable is a 1978 Technics SL-1000 MKII, which is a SP-10 MKII (direct-drive broadcast-type turntable) in a consumer package with an obsidian stone base and fluid-damped tonearm. I also have a cool old Thorens 124 that Fini helped me get, but I still have some work to do on it.

triceratops

• Moderators

As good as the La Scala II's sound, you can really feel how substantial they are when you move them--the two-piece cabinet weighs like 175 lbs! I

I never realized they were that heavy, it's no wonder they lost their vibration/flexing problems compared to the older models. I think it's one of the better looking new Heritage models, and I always liked the sound of the LaScala. Good choice and price.

Great job on the LaScalas!! I agree with what Dtel said

I think it's one of the better looking new Heritage models

Not only are they better looking but they look like ALL business when you're looking at them! They just dare you to challange them.

[Y]

...Not only are they better looking but they look like ALL business when you're looking at them! They just dare you to challange them.

Yes

Thanks Coytee,

I never thought about it much before, but there is something very cool about the front end of the bass horn being so visible on the La Scala. The top of the doghouse looks like the prow of a ship coming right at ya--sailing on the waves of clear and dynamic sound!

Congrats on the new LS's! When you A to B them with your old ones, how do they compair? I'm still running the pair I got from you. I refinished them and made them to look similar to the LSII's with a grill up top and for the bottom I built two frames and extended speaker cloth over them so you can't see behind the doghouse (I couldn't get my hands back there to strip the paint, so this was the only other solution). They look really good. I used a dark cherry stain and put a few nice coats of poly on them and they shine. Best purchase I've ever made! Thanks again, and I'm glad your happy with your new ones!

Congrats, great looking speakers.

Some Mac 30s would be nice with that 110. Wink

I thought much the same thing, although I'll bet the midrange is pretty good with those 300B also[:D] WRT midrange, if you can't do 30's, 300B is a really good choice, and dare I say that things might even be a bit more transparent with a simple and modern 300B like his.

• 11 months later...