Yeah...more bass!

sootshe

Has anyone ever tried turning the bass bin of their La Scala 2's back towards the wall?
Since getting my LS2's up & runnning, the bass has always been, well, not quite right. Sort of in the back of the mix a bit & not as easy to pick out as I'm used to. So I tried turning just the bass bin to fire into the back wall & the corners & wow! Not like I remember at all when I tried this many years ago...maybe a room acoustic thing & it may suit my new room. The bass has come alive & is instantly discernable, the tone is spot on with more timbre & texture....the growl has returned. Much smoother & warmer too. I would have thought that the imaging would be inferior, but no, sounds OK to me. All in all a huge fix. I highly recommend you try this because I thought it would never work but was proven wrong. If anyone can do this & provide any measurements to see what we are actually hearing, that would prove very interesting.

post-32839-13819464503884_thumb.jpg

"The bass was as deep as my Khorns and even tighter. It was really amazing. I'm still shaking my head over it. I was playing Spyro Gyra "Original Cinema" and I just couldn't stop listening. I just let the whole CD play. There were a few moments that made me sit up and say holy sh*t, what was that! I can't wait to go back tomorrow and crank some more tunes."

Greg,
Read through that thread & a couple of comments from a few questions that were raised. Yes, the bass is even tighter than before & as you say, stronger in the mid bass & certainly subjectively lower in frequency. It has a wonderful tactile sound to it...you can feel the texture of the strings. This just doesn't sound like LS bass! I can't detect that I am losing any upper or mid bass even though this bass cab would go slightly beyond 400Hz.
I agree it's probably not for every room but it certainly works in mine. One thing - at very high levels it can tend to overload the room with bottom end. Will have to do a bit more experimenting with positioning.

post-32839-13819464505094_thumb.jpg

I gotta go out in the shop and try this with my LSI's tomorrow.....

Very room dependent, but if you hit the right set up, it's amazing!

I would say a smaller room with 12 or 14 feet between the corners, and a seating position right up on the speakers would be close to what I had going in my shop listening room.

Greg

"The bass was as deep as my Khorns and even tighter.

That is a pretty bold statement. If this is really doing that much for bass extension, than you definitely have my attention. Can we get any numbers to back up the subjective observations?

Daniel

I can't stress this enough. This will not work in just any room with any equipment. I've said it over and over, I think I just hit on the right combination of equipment and room. I tried this experiment in my living room and the results were not nearly the same. Sorry to be so firm with my wording here, but I don't want this to get out of hand and have people start chopping their LS's apart! When I said that everyone should go out and cut the tops off their LS's, it was in jest. My sarcastic, tongue in cheek sense of humor I guess.

If anyone has split LS's, then of course, flip em around and try this.

Greg

Yeah, don't do major surgery on your LS.

On the other hand, people could take out their mid and tweeter horns and lay them on top with some sort of improvised supports. Smile.

I'm always impressed with the clever things people on the forum come up with and the reversed LS is just another one of them.

Wm McD

"The bass was as deep as my Khorns and even tighter.

That is a pretty bold statement. If this is really doing that much for bass extension, than you definitely have my attention. Can we get any numbers to back up the subjective observations?

Daniel

Daniel, I was quoting Greg there re the KHorns...but I can tell you that they are as deep as my Altec Model 19's, which go comfortably to 30Hz.
I don't have any equipment to run any figures but I agree it would be cool to see exactly what is happening here.

There was something about my room that worked with the reversed LS bass bins. It sounded and felt like I had two 15" powered subwoofers on in the room, not turned up loud, but loud enough to be noticeable. My LS's were producing frequencies they had no business producing. I was shaking my head.

I'm sure if measurements were taken at my seating position, there would be an unnatural bump somewhere in the low frequency range, probably below 50Hz. I'll bet it wouldn't look good on a curve, but it felt great! It just worked.

It was a unique combination of digital streams and electrical energy transformed into acoustical vibrations that brought me to another dimension in another time. I entered a vast space of both shadow and substance, science and superstition that lies between a man's knowledge and his dreams . . . . It was like I was in . . . . . The Audio Nirvana Zone.

Greg

It was a unique combination of digital streams and electrical energy transformed into acoustical vibrations that brought me to another dimension in another time. I entered a vast space of both shadow and substance, science and superstition that lies between a man's knowledge and his dreams . . . . It was like I was in . . . . . The Audio Nirvana Zone.

Greg

I really enjoy those moments!

So what is this really doing, adding another fold to the horn and making it longer, using the corner like a Khorn, kind of ?

More or less, but I think in my room the bass bins were "exciting" the room resonances, and it just so happens that those resonances are very low.

Also, think about how cleanly the midrange is able to exit the mid horn without the low-mids forward-firing out of the bass bins. There's that separation thing again.

Not related to this LS experiment specifically, but I think there's something to be said for the midrange horn being out in the open and not in a cabinet, and separated from the bass cabinet somewhat. Rambling thoughts.

Greg