Anyone here know anything about the University of Phoenix?

Kain

I am attending University of Phoenix for about a year so far from Dubai. It's an online university. I've read somewhere that degrees from this university are not very worthy and that it's almost like not having a degree at all. [:o]

Is this true? Does anyone have any experience with this university? I'm, so far, liking it but I am a bit weary about how much a degree from here will be worth.

This is Rachel not Tommy. He always teases me about answering/replying to threads on here, because I know NOTHING audio related, so he asked me to do this one, and so here I am! I am also taking classes through Univeristy of Phoenix and I don't know who told that just because you are going to school online doesn't equal up to a real degree is a HUGE lie. I am sure Tommy has told you guys on here about me getting the job with the bank and I have found that because of me pursuing my degree has opened that door for us. I have also been going for about a year, I started in August because I was sitting at home checking my email and saw an add for Uof P called and then when I talked to them she told me that I would be done with school by the time by oldest turned 6 and he just turned 5 so... I work with a lot of people that are attending the average college and when they see me doing school work on lunch and ask me about it they then realize that online is a lot harder. I am sorry this is so long but I do not believe that an online degree is worth nothing when I honestly believe that I/we have to work 10 times harder than the average student that goes to and "normal" college. Don't get discouraged!! By the way what classes are you in? Who is your instructor? What are you getting your degree in?

The small college where I work has had a degree completion program for a number of years. Geared to the working person who already has some college time in, but is now out in the work force. It isn't online, but it is hard. They do far more researching and writing than our traditional students. Figure they have been at work all day, go to class and participate, turn in papers. Their degree, to me, may be more hard earned and valuable.

Some of them drop out, but after about 13 months (I think), they graduate with a degree in business management. They walk during the same commencement excercises as our other students.

I know that the U of P is huge, but it fills a need. If you are honest with yourself and them when you participate, you'll learn and benefit.

my 2 cents...

The most important thing to check is the college's accreditation in your degree field.

Find out of the accreditation they have is recognized by the business or other universities you're interested in.

Many online universities are not accredited and are little more than diploma mills. The gray area comes in with colleges that are accredited, but is that accreditation nationally or internationally recognized?

The most important thing to check is the college's accreditation in your degree field.

Find out of the accreditation they have is recognized by the business or other universities you're interested in.

Many online universities are not accredited and are little more than diploma mills. The gray area comes in with colleges that are accredited, but is that accreditation nationally or internationally recognized?

Actually, believe it or not, but in most cases, it is preferable to go to a school that is regionally accredited. It is very difficult to transfer credits from a naionally accredited university to a regoinally accredited university. Most of the larger colleges are regionally accreditied, not nationally. University of Phoenix is regionally accredited.

I don't know how this applies to someone in Dubai, however.

This is Rachel not Tommy. He always teases me about answering/replying to threads on here, because I know NOTHING audio related, so he asked me to do this one, and so here I am! I am also taking classes through Univeristy of Phoenix and I don't know who told that just because you are going to school online doesn't equal up to a real degree is a HUGE lie. I am sure Tommy has told you guys on here about me getting the job with the bank and I have found that because of me pursuing my degree has opened that door for us. I have also been going for about a year, I started in August because I was sitting at home checking my email and saw an add for Uof P called and then when I talked to them she told me that I would be done with school by the time by oldest turned 6 and he just turned 5 so... I work with a lot of people that are attending the average college and when they see me doing school work on lunch and ask me about it they then realize that online is a lot harder. I am sorry this is so long but I do not believe that an online degree is worth nothing when I honestly believe that I/we have to work 10 times harder than the average student that goes to and "normal" college. Don't get discouraged!! By the way what classes are you in? Who is your instructor? What are you getting your degree in?

I didn't mean that an online degree doesn't equal a degree of a "real" school, what I meant was University of Phoenix (in general) isn't a very credible university according to what I have read. However, I could be wrong. Right now I am taking two classes, one is a marketing class named MKT230 and an accounting class named ACC220. I am getting my degree in business. I am actually enjoying my experience with the university so far.

What are you getting your degree in and what classes are you taking right now?

I didn't think you meant it like that. I just know that a lot of people that I talk to don't think that it is the same thing. I am getting my Associates in Medical Billing and Coding!! I am taking enviromental science and social diversity right now, only 2 weeks left of these and I am done with the Axia required classes and get to pick my own and start taking classes that are for my degree. I had to get all of the required courses done first! I really do like going through them though!

If a perspective employer doesn't think your online degree is as good as a "real" degree remind him that you were holding down a job while you attended. Also point out that with online classes, there is nobody to hold your hand, you really have to be self-reliant. And third, most people are just kids when they go to school. You went through it as a responsible adult, and really took care to put your best into it, unlike most college grads. Also the material is fresher in your head than someone who graduated 10 years ago.

I went to UoP for my BSIT. I haven't had any job turn me down yet, so they must be worth something. Would I go back to UoP, probably not. They've sucked money out of me on top of what I paid for classes and their recruiters are just that. My wife is going back to school for her Masters Degree, but will not attend UoP. She got her Bachelor degree before starting the 'work force', which I did not (which works better for me as I had no clue what I wanted to do... still don't!)