My diet/exercise program **Update - I made my goal!!**

wuzzzer

Congratulations to all those shedding unneeded poundage. It ain't easy. I've done enough diets to see that they don't usually have lasting effects. I can see that the older I get, the easier is to to gain weight, and the harder it is to lose it. I've seen more than one person exercise themself into the hospital.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of magic involved - take in more calories than you use and bingo, you're going to gain weight. Keep that up and bingo, you get health trouble. Every now and then I see a guy my age that is thin as a post and I ask how he does it. They usually say they ain't doing anything - they don't know why they stay thin. Must be the genes then. For everyone else, they have to discover some way to consistently work the input/output formula into their favor.

One of the big keys is hormonal....as we age our testosterone and HGH levels start to fall off which equals muscle loss. Combine that with fad diets that usually burn more muscle than fat and we wind up with a 4 banger instead of that V-8 engine we had in high school.....

watching calories is very important, but the type, timing and combination of calories, play an important role in supporting our hormone balance

Challenging our bodies to change is important also, we need to get off our duffs and move.... If what your doing isn't working, you need to change it up and push a little harder/smarter to force change

sorry for the hijack....congrats on your weight loss, awesome job!!!!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree Mark.....I have often found my self "gorging" during a time of plenty. Weather this is an inherent primal response, or as a child of holocaust survivors, something that was "nurtured".....

But this is something that I have unlearned...... Though it will be a struggle for the remainder of my days.

what helps the most ,for me, is to remember how GREAT I feel when I get the proper mix of "fuel" and how lousy I feel when I don't. It may be partially physiological and partly phycological, but regardless, the results are astounding and almost immediate.

congrats wuzzer! this thread is helping my motivation.

Thanks! It was due to a co-worker of mine and watching the show The Biggest Loser that motivated me. Its funny, I've lost over 20 pounds in just a little over a month. WHAT WAS I WAITING FOR?? I'm glad I didn't have too far to go to get to my goal weight. I couldn't imagine having 100+ pounds to lose. I can see why people don't even try when they get to a certain weight. The road to weight loss looks like too long of a road to travel I imagine. Sometimes just a small nudge from an outside source it all it takes.

It was so much easier when I was younger. Step on scale in the morning. One pound over? Don’t eat that day. Just drink coffee. Reward myself with Hagen-Daz that night. Simple.

I read and did the Atkins diet (and 12 other diet books). Yes, it is only the first two weeks that have severe restrictions. But studies show that it does work., and better than most diets too. Yet all diets all end up in the same place: balanced meals of some whole fruit, lots of whole and fresh vegetables, a little lean meat and fresh cheese.

The Hardness Factor is the most exciting diet/exercise book I have ever read. It says that penile health is an excellent indicator of cardio-vascular and mental fitness! Diet and exercise for a better sex life. Pretty powerful message for most guys.

I am starting another diet/exercise push, just like the entire nation does every spring. I am 5’10” and weigh 208 pounds. Lost 10 already this year. I will lose another 10 pounds by the end of July.

One of the keys seems to be to have something small to nibble on BEFORE you get hungry. The three meals a day is a killer. Best make it six small ones. Therefore, I am:

• Join local recreation center for their classes, gym and pool
  • Eat portions no larger than my fist
  • Save ½ of what I order for take-out
  • Don’t buy junk food
  • Free abdominal class twice weekly
  • Run 2-4-6: 2 minutes at 2 miles per hour, 4 at 4, to warm up, 6 at 6, then 4 at 4 and 2 at 2 to cool down. (Did 3-5-7 in 2007.)
  • Walk around community in AM, feed ducks
  • Run, bike or work-out twice weekly
  • Swim or bike casually weekly
  • Eat more salads
  • Losing 10 pounds by end of summer (195 in 2006, 208 in 2009)

BTW, I looked up The Physicist Diet: it is simple he says. Learn to always be hungry. Take in less calories. Expend more energy.

I am a skeptic for the most part. One insomnia evening I was flicking through the channels and I saw the P90X infomercial. It looked pretty good, so I went ahead and purchased it. It was probably the best 140 dollars I ever spent. I am 5'6" and when I first bought it I weighed almost 170lbs, had had two vertabrae fused and was in the worst shape of my life. I have stuck with the program, now I am back down to 145, very fit, I don't take vicodin for my back very often anymore, my BP is down and I am sure my cholesterol is as well. If anyone has the abiltiy to commit to a program, you will get in fantastic shape.

Oh yeah, I also figured out the cure to my insomnia. It turns out I am very sensitive to caffeine. A single cup in the morning prevents me from getting a decent night sleep. Ever since taking all caffeine out of my diet, my sleep has returned. So, if anyone out there suffers from it, it may be worth a try, I am sure I am not the only one who is hyper sensitive to caffeine.

mowntnbkr, glad to hear about your caffeine discovery. I stopped drinking all soda about 3 years ago. I have a cup of coffee a few times a week and can tell that the caffeine affects me quite a bit too.

Today my weigh-in was 183.5, down another 2.5 pounds. 25 pounds total since April 1st! I went running last night and it was lightly raining and it felt great. It was a little warm so the rain helped me cool off a bit. I'm only 5.5 pounds away from my goal weight. Once I hit that I'm going to get more aggressive on weights and cardio. I really want to get fit. I have a creatine/glutamine mix that I'll be taking to help with recovery after weights. I used it before and it helped a lot except your body stores a lot of water in its muscles using it so you tend to gain a little weight from it and I find myself drinking a lot more water than normal.

[Y]

Hey Wuzzer

your progress sounds great!!! We are all proud of our fit Klipsch brother!

The Creatine and glutamine does work wonders....Glutamine especially if your in a carbo deficit From lifting....keep up the great work!!!

I've backed off my weight routine from 6 to 4 days per week and started boxing the other two days.....man what a workout!!! It's killing me, I get done after 1 - 11/2 hour session and I'm toast...I'd rather run full out for an hour.......Today I made it 7 full rounds in the ring before I was so dead I couldn't defend myself...time for the speed bag and jump rope!!!

Lost 1 pound this last week. I started the creatine/glutamine mix a couple weeks before I had planned. Unfortunately one drawback of it is that your body retains a lot of water in its muscles so weight loss isn't as fast although muscle is gained much more quickly.

So, 26.0 pounds lost since April 1st. I ran for 3 miles last night and felt great afterwards! 4.5 more pounds to go!

I was a little worried at this week's weigh-in. My wife and I went to a barbecue and bonfire on Sunday and I ate a hamburger, brat, hot dog, potato salad and Doritos. I ate a lot less than I normally would have prior to my diet but I ate a lot more than I've been eating lately.

But, I still lost 2 pounds! Total weight loss of 28.0 pounds since April 1st - down to 180.5, 2.5 pounds to go for my goal!

I found that during the week I watch what I eat very closely and on the weekends I'm a little more lenient with myself. I think that plan will work out well. That way I don't go crazy from denying myself an occasional cookie or pizza or dessert.

I lost 40lbs and have essentially kept it off for 2 years now. I hover between 175-180 weekly I do have a bit more junky stuff on weekends but go back to my regimen during the week and lose it again. I was 215 when I started.

We were over at my wife's girlfriend's house a couple of thanksgiving's ago and she took some photos of us on the couch and when we got home and she put them on the PC I could not believe I was the fat slob in the photos so that is when I decided to do something about it. It was actually easier than I thought, I excercised early on but have ceased but I do stay active. Philosophy is eat less, move more. I stay away from alot of breads and carbs but do have some. Nice that I can mow a chocolate peanut butter brownie with chocolate ice cream and whipped cream on ocassion and it not really affect me at all.

Hardest part is getting started and sticking to it. It is rough during the winter months up here because I am not outside and moving around as much.

Today at work I had remembered that a co-worker of mine had taken my picture last year for a local business magazine article. I asked if she had that picture saved on her computer and she said she did. She said that she should take my picture today and have a before/after shot.

In the picture on the left I was probably around 205 pounds. In the right picture taken today I'm at 180. I didn't realize how different I look now. I had set a goal of 178 pounds but I'm going to shoot for 170. I haven't weighed 170 since I was about 13 years old, 21 years ago.

post-18173-13819475177212_thumb.jpg

You look a bit like a svelt Neil Cavuto. That is of course, meant as a compliment. I mean, I think he's a good looking guy.

Well.. for a guy, he's a good looking guy.

What I mean to say is, aww...crud... never mind.

Congrats!

[Y]

Thanks for the compliments guys. I turned 34 a few weeks ago and I agree that I look younger in the right pic than in the left one. I think I should keep the left picture in my wallet in case I ever have the urge to pig out at Burger King. [8-|]