What is the K-402?

• Moderators

I have also heard the k402 and K403 and the later is not even close, to me the 403 sounds closer to the 510 than the 402.

Just another opinion, like we need another. [*-)]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mike TN,,, I beg to differ with you,, The 402 is a long through cinema horn,, The polor plots do show this,, You just dont know how to read them properly.

If the K402 is a long throw horn by your definition, then every horn by klipsch is long throw....in fact, just about every good horn out there is.

And i own a pair of 403s

I'm curious and am only trying to clarify facts...

Do you own a K403 horn, as provided by Klipsch & Associates or, do you own a "K403" as in, a horn reverse engineered from the wooden K403 and was never put into production for Klipsch & Associates?

I was always under the impression that one (or maybe two?) prototypes of the K403 existed so I'm presuming you do not have one of those wooden ones?

Maron's never heard the K402. Perhaps you remember that really long thread where that info came out? And then his K403's are knockoffs from a guy that couldn't meet Klipsch standards. I think it very fair to say that any bad sound he's experienced pretty much comes down to user error. Anything will sound bad if you don't implement it correctly.

Benz,,, You dont speak for me,,, Yes ive heard the 402,,, Yes I own a 403,, I would,nt give you a white note for eitrher one. When a better horn than those two come out for the Jubilee bass bin, then I,ll get one,, Or make one, like some on this forum are doing.

Mike TN,,, I beg to differ with you,, The 402 is a long through cinema horn,, The polor plots do show this,, You just dont know how to read them properly.

If the K402 is a long throw horn by your definition, then every horn by klipsch is long throw....in fact, just about every good horn out there is.

Definitions of 'long' vs 'short' throw aside, the K402 is Klipsch's LARGEST mid horn used in the largest of professional cinema applications. No it's not a stadium or outdoor 'long throw' horn by any imagination, but it was created specifically for the largest of indoor cinema spaces.

Benz,,, You dont speak for me,,, Yes ive heard the 402,,, Yes I own a 403,, I would,nt give you a white note for eitrher one. When a better horn than those two come out for the Jubilee bass bin, then I,ll get one,, Or make one, like some on this forum are doing.

So is the 402 you've heard another knock off like your "403"?

Yes I own a 403

I'll ask the question again... do you own a 403 as provided by KIipsch & Associates OR, do you own something that was reverse engineered using a (bonafide perhaps) 403 as the template but is still something not offered by Klipsch & Associates?

In other words, do you own this top horn? If in fact, you own this top horn, and if it wasn't something provided to you by Klipsch & Associates, isn't that just a smidge similar to me bashing you for this used car I bought...even though I didn't buy it from you?

I was under the impression (by Roy) that the K403 never went into production so if you have a K403 you either stole one of their wooden prototypes (which were found to have some defects) or you own a clone of it at which point, we have no idea of its accuracy, do we? (I'll admit it's only a touch nicer looking than the warthog I've got... I figure if I'm going to have ugly on top of my bass bin, I may as well have fugly and have it sound great!)

[Y]

post-15072-13819465823048_thumb.jpg

Maron. Whether the K402 is long throw or not, I really think is sounds great with the TAD and a little EQ. I wasn't as big of a fan with the K69 but there are others that enjoy that combo too.

Mark1101 has my TADs late TADS on his K402 now. I hear them at his house and he really has an awesome sytem

I kinda wonder now what that TAD would sound like on other two way horns.

Maron.....what other top horn do you suggest? Are you saying there really isn't one good enough "yet" to match the jubilee bin. Did you have a chnace to hear that martinelli horn shown with the Golden jube. Did you think that sounded better than the k403?

jc

JWC,,, yes the TAD drivers do sound great and to me are close to the JBL 476be coherant wave driver,,on a Martinelli horn. But to each his own,,,If you like the 402 fine,, As long as your happy... But it would not be my choice,,, If you dont start with a great driver what good is any horn???

If you dont start with a great driver what good is any horn???

I don't disagree

OK. Well....I'm up for hearing other opinions and don't necessarily preach my opinion as the gospel. So sounds like your best option for the jube bin right now is the martinelli horn with a Tad or the JBL.

Is Martinelli still making this horn....seems like the website is down.

jc

One more... anyone know where I can get a pair of TAD 4002's ?? Every now and then I see them on eBay but I wonder about buying them from there...

Please note that a pair of TAD 4002s have a listed retail of $4K+ . A good street price would be in the mid $3K. A used price would be in the mid $2K. Before buying used ones, please remember that a pair of diaphragms would cost over $1500.

One more... anyone know where I can get a pair of TAD 4002's ?? Every now and then I see them on eBay but I wonder about buying them from there...

Please note that a pair of TAD 4002s have a listed retail of $4K+ . A good street price would be in the mid $3K. A used price would be in the mid $2K. Before buying used ones, please remember that a pair of diaphragms would cost over $1500.

Who has them new ?

the ones on ebay are listed as new.... for less than 3K.

Any thoughts on the Beyma 800/Ti or 850/ND ?

If you dont start with a great driver what good is any horn???

I don't disagree

OK. Well....I'm up for hearing other opinions and don't necessarily preach my opinion as the gospel. So sounds like your best option for the jube bin right now is the martinelli horn with a Tad or the JBL.

Is Martinelli still making this horn....seems like the website is down.

jc

Martinelli is currently out of the horn business. I'm not sure if they will return. Major bummer. The links on the main page are taken down but if you have an old link to the other pages you can get there. http://www.woodhorn.com/woodhorns.htm

I've been looking for a pair of TAD 4002s myself for a long time. I saw them on eBay for as low as $2550. Now the price went up a little more.

Roy has a contach who can get them for a little cheapter, but he needs to get several people interested as he orders them in 10 pairs I think. There is also a long lead time. I posted a while ago on the forum to see if anybody else was interested in 4002s so that we could order them together but did not get any response.

Kudret

There is also a long lead time.

Perhaps the guys that bought them can chime in here... my memory tells me they had to wait something like six months or maybe even a year from time of order, to time of delivery.

I just say that in case someone were to order some, be aware that it's not like they're sitting on a shelf ready to be delivered to you....I understand that they're built to order and you have to wait unti TAD decides to build them.