Pro horns in the home?

MikeSt

I started to get interested in getting a pro amp like Crown or QSC because of the great watts-for-your-buck, then I thought why not do the same thing with speakers? Those pro amp speakers have massive horns on them and I'm sure they'd cost a lot less than the same size Klisch home speaker horn. And then why not just get active pro spreakers and kill two birds with one stone? I saw I guy on Audiogon that was selling his QSC powered speakers and said they were pretty good sounding in the home.

Sure, why not, I used to run Pro stuff in my home setup, and I will do something again down the road. The only thing someone might point out is the lack of higher frequencies, but if you think about how high a person actually hears(in frequency) then I don't think its much of an issue. There are other things that come into play as damping inside a home speaker is usually different than a pro speaker(some don't have any), and if you using a good subwoofer to reach down to the depths(most pro subs do get much further down than say 40Hz), then it can be good too. Just some thoughts I had on this.

A good horn is a good horn....pro horns usually have an advantage by not being so size constricted (which means better polar response, which is even more advantageous in the home environment). Just make sure you avoid the bad horns and diffraction slots and what not...

A wise person I know once likened pro speakers to tools and home speakers to toys.

With Klipsch, there is a close relationship between their pro speakers and many speakers in their "home" offerings. The pro speakers are voiced to sound "high-fi", not just crank out high spl.

After my experience with Jubilees and some of the other Klipsch "pro" speakers, I decided it was time to listen to "tools" and sell most of the "toys".

In addition to the HT collection listed below, I use KP-320's with a sub woofer in another room, and Ki-272's with a sub in yet another.

I helped three friends put together HT systems used KP-3002's for L/C/R and KP-110B's for surrounds. Purchase cost was low, but the sound is fabulous. Several of their friends are now asking me for help with their systems and they all want those "pro speakers like Rob has".

KP-3002's or KP-320's can be found for under $400 a pair. I bought the KP-110B's for $110 a pair.

They only disadvantage to this approach is the lack of furniture finish. If you're willing to build the speaker in or decorate around them, then it's not a problem. The sound is great.

I discovered the great sound of the Klipsch 8" woofer (KP-8E) in two-way cabinets combined with several different tweeters in the KP-110B, Ki-102, Ki-172, KSM-8, etc.

If you want/need, I still have a couple extra pair of KP-110B's.

• Moderators

Mr Bill H what is a KP-110B ?

Edit.....I found it...what do you use as rears in your HT, I can remember seeing the pic's they were on brackets if i remember correctly ? just wondering

Hi Eldon,

I use a pair of Ki-102 for side surrounds and a pair of Ki-172 for rear surround. Both have the same drivers with the KP-8E woofer and a 100 x 100 tractrix tweeter.

The KP-110B uses the same 8" woofer with a 90 x 90 tweeter. The 110's also mount with a bracket. All these little 8" two-way's work great for surrounds.

post-16963-13819474728706_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Ok, I was just wondering, thinking about in the future possibly using something like that for surrounds. The big problem I would have with that would be a center. I only have room for something the size of a Forte, unless I went with phantom mode on the MWM/402. I will probably just keep the all forte ht for now, I really like it but was just thinking if there was a way to cut down on the amount of speakers to get the same job done.

Wow...I feel totally ignored!

Sorry, not ignoring you. My main PC with all the pro files experienced the Windows blue screen of death. I'm working from my laptop now.

Once I get re-loaded, I'll post pics and descriptions . . . .or . . . .Mr. Colter, the professor of all things Klipsch pro, may jump in here and lend a hand.

I suspect Michael is mucho busy preparing for the great times ahead at the Pilgrimage.

• Moderators

The big problem I would have with that would be a center

Ya know... I never thought I'd see the day when I suggested to someone they use a Jubilee as a 'filler' speaker Surprise

That's funny, that would be a mean filler speaker but it would not fit............but you just gave me an idea, that will probably get me in big trouble.

Build one more MWM single bin, do away with the TV cabinet and set the TV on the single bin which would leave room for a 402 horn above the TV. I am dead meat, she likes the TV cabinet it has little shelves to hold little things she has on them.

It is an idea to remember for when the Tv dies and I am forced to get one that can hang on the back wall, I will just say Coytee said it would sound good !

Although the words Professional and Industrial come to mind, actually KP is Klipsch PORTABLE and KI is Klipsch INSTALLED. The difference is apparent in models that have both designations for the same model number and is mainly a difference in hardware for portablity vs setup for permanent installations.

Take the KP362 vs KI 362 for instance. Both are 15" three way systems.

The KI is much shallower, has Neutrik connectors, ports on the front, round turntable on motorboard for the mid and high horns for cluster installations.

The KP is much deeper, a bit more LF, ports in the rear, no turntable on motorboard, fuses and dual banana jacks as well as Neutrik connectors, handles, rubber footies and corner protectors.

Heres one of each in Columbia Missouri, where Bill and I traded KI and KP 362's. He needed the KI for installing in clusters in his church camp, I needed the handles and more full range capability of the KP. We swapped 4 for 4. Here you can see that the KI is slightly narrower but taller- this to accomodate the turntable and front port. The KI is a bit more stylish with rounded front panel and matching metal grille.

post-10755-13819474792546_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

The KI is much shallower, has Neutrik connectors, ports on the front, round turntable on motorboard for the mid and high horns for cluster installations

When you say " round turntable " do you mean they can be turned to adjust for the speaker to be horizontal ?

That would be very cool !

Yes, there are 8 bolts so you can rotate the horn turntable at 22 1/2 degree increments. Imagine if you have a cluster of these hung at some obtuse angle, this allows you to readjust the orientation of the horn so that the coverage pattern is correct. you can also hang the speaker horizontally and turn the horns 90 degrees.

Older models just had a square turntable so the adjustment was only at 90 degree increments.

KI 362_ss.pdf

• Like 1

"Wow...I feel totally ignored!"

"The only thing someone might point out is the lack of higher frequencies, but if you think about how high a person actually hears(in frequency) then I don't think its much of an issue. "

Use this on a stand with a subwoofer at 100hz:

http://www.jblpro.com/mpro/PDF/MP415.pdf

A while back Bob G. was involved in a discussion of Klipsch sensitivity ratings.

Klipsch already adds 3~4dB for room gain to their published ratings, ie: an advertised 102dB is 98~99dB anechoic and with 2.83V/1M.

The JBL would be more like 102dB with the Klipsch method.

All the newer JBL horns using the 2406/07/08 compression drivers have no problem getting out to 20Khz. The design of the horn in the MP415 is more like the method of design used in the Jubille, conical throat with a large round-over mouth.

The woofers are closer to 8 ohms (most Klipsch are closer to 4 ohms), and so are easier to drive, and tube friendly.