Pro horns in the home?

MikeSt

• Moderators

And we can't forget Michael, he has been known to take in strays and homeless know matter what part of the family the come from.

He is especially fond of the working class of the family, the so called " professional " or " commercial " types. He has even added on a building to house these " working group" of strays, were not sure but the rumor is, he is planing on sending some of this group to work certain functions. [:o] Were not really sure whats going on with that but we stay on the look out for the gold Cadillac and fancy clothes and big hats ! [H]

It wouldn't surprised us if we see him on the local news being busted for his stable of workers actually having a " get together " in there new home, the neighbors will not be happy when this happens.

• Moderators

Do I have to be related to Claude? Big Smile

Dang a family fued already, [:o] we just figured out we were related today and already a fued breaks out, makes me feel right at home ! [:S]

" Almost forgot Claude, our 1/2 brother, he is "4-way" but we don't hold
that against him we are open minded for the most part, we have to be
it's a very small family."

yer killing me mang! LOL Big Smile

M

Yo, Mikey. I likey your JBL 2360 "elephant butt cheek" horns. I'm now using those instead of the "little" white EV 940's in the now obsolete Avatar (got mine from Ted Nugent's brother-in-law). Not to insult Roy, but it's probably, sound-wise, the closest thing to a 402, and perhaps, even more obnoxious looking in a home.New pix to follow soon.

• Moderators

Dtel, you guys are too much! I can't be related, I'm adopted, since I was born in Canada, unless your mothers were on vacation that year.

We never could figure it out but we knew you were "different". [;)]

"elephant butt cheek".............so you did meet my mom ! [:o]

This is making me want to get the MWMs built to put these on top. However, I'll be paying for my gf to get over here from China this summer if all goes according to plan. The horns on top are the same as what Michael is using for part of his P.A. rig.

post-7149-13819475193554_thumb.jpg

This is making me want to get the MWMs built to put these on top. However, I'll be paying for my gf to get over here from China this summer if all goes according to plan. The horns on top are the same as what Michael is using for part of his P.A. rig.

What are those midbass horns underneath? If they are good ones, Let me suggest that you keep midbass horns from 250-1Khz range, cross the JBL's at about 1K Hz. and only use ONE MWMs bin. Even with one bin, my issue now is the "stack" is too tall, so I may evne turn the MWMs on it's side........mine crosses at 200Hz to the huge Peavey MB-1's, whic is, supposedly, one of the best midbass horns ever made, since it's got a phase plug in it's huge throat.

Claude,

The cab under the horn holds an EV 12ML. I got these from jc. My plan all along was to try standing a single MWM on end, with the mid and hi horns next to it. This will fit better in my room. It's just time and money.

I need to make some new baffles for the EVs, as the speakers were only held in place with wood screws. One of the speakers came loose while driving home with them. Once I test them, if they sound ok, I'll build some new cabinets... all for appearance sake. I'm not planning on staying single, so I want the system to look decent, even if it is LARGE! [:)]

Bruce

I have been seriously thinking about standing my remaining single MWMs on end as well.............up against the side walls. I had 4 total, but sold 2 to a guy from the Chicago area last winter. Just had to kick up the woofer amp about 3 db to compensate AND the sound improved by dropping the midrange and midbass down closer to my ears. It also dropped the twin tweeters down by 17" as they were almost touching the 7-foot ceiling in my basment. Now that I put in the big JBL's like you have, the tweeters are hanging fomr the celinging. I also have all of my voice coils algined in the same plane and the MWMs out of the coners forward about 2 feet to accomplihsh this. This made room for the Large VMPS subs to fill those corners, although I had to reverse polarity to make them measure flatter. Putting the MWMs bins against the side walls would certainly change the sound, but I'm not sure it would be better, alhtough, theoretically it would seem to be.

Standing the MWM on end might be unwise unless you brace it so the motor board remains vertical. Woofer sag over time might be the result of storing or playing any bass bin in less than vertical plane.

I have several KP680SW woofers that are ruined from storage in the wrong plane.

• Moderators

I think I've been on the wrong plane all my life !

i would wonder how if at all the sound would be affected standing up like that ?

Bruce just suspend them from the ceiling Disco style........and don't go under them. [*-)]