Lost a Forte II last night

B.G.

First, I would never hook up the problem amp again in my house if it started a fire. That is just a given for me. I would not even consider fixing it because it is of apparently defective design. Second, the amp has a proven track record of burning Klipsch speakers for some reason. I don't understand that part of it.

I would get away from this type of amp altogether. The others in the line may be of the same design with either more or less power. You need to forget about cash for a second. You could burn your house down.

I live in a place in Ga. out in the country that if my house lit up.........it would burn down before anyone could stop it. It would be mostly burnt before anyone even noticed a fire. So I'm a little over sensitive to what happened to you. I would junk that stuff ASAP.

All good advice above, I can only add that you and Winchester21 need to join a volunteer fire dept somewhere close!

Sorry my man, we'll see if we can find you what you need to fix up that speaker but get rid of the amp.

Wow. Four or five years ago, my wife told me that a friend had a speaker fire that caused extensive damage to her house. I was amazed and incredulous. However, wife insisted that we needed to replace our 25+ year old Radio Shack oiled walnut speakers immediately. What's a guy to do?!?!? Shortly after, my 1970 solid state amp lost the right channel and it was time to launch Operation New Audio Equipment. Shortly after, I had a new Denon receiver, RF-35s, RC-35 and eventually in-wall R-5800s. And an SVS sub to round thing out. I've never actually believed her friend's story until now. No idea of equipment involved, but apparently this is not an isolated instance.

In the reviews I read most comsumers rated the amp either 4 or 5 out of 5, excellent ratings. Then there were the ones that discussed fires. A classic faulty design. If I owned a PERFECT Adcom amp today.............I would IMMEDIATELTY remove it from service simply because of what I read yesterday and this thread. It is just not worth the consequences. There are too many other great brands out there. I have NEVER heard of a modern s/s amp causing repeated fires like this........or even any fires.

In the reviews I read most comsumers rated the amp either 4 or 5 out of 5, excellent ratings.

Don't pay that much attention to the reviews on Audioreview. People on Audioreview generally are excited about their purchase and give good reviews. You can gte some good information there, but take with a grain of salt. A BOSE surround system got 4.5:

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/surround-speakers/boston-acoustics/dt7000-home-digital-theater-system/PRD_128121_2742crx.aspx

Interestingly, I had to hand pick the above review as the Bose stuff seems to get about a 3 average. Probably as most BOSE buyers are not in tune with the audio world and auduio websites or they woudl have purchased something else.

• Moderators

[:$]

Not that it applies to every Adcom amp, but the Adcom amp that I heard sounded like it was going to set the speaker on fire

Now that is funny. [:P]

Sorry about the forte, heck take a screwdriver to it and look at the crossover also, probably fried the horns also.

Open it up, what damage could you do, you already caught it on fire and put it out with a water hose in the rain ! [:|]

Thanks for the tip.....don't buy Adcom ! [:'(]

Wow,,,,,

I've been using ADCOM for many years. Can't remember the first two channel amp I had. 2X100 watts. I thought I loved it.

Then I got, and still have, a GFA-6000. Been using it since new back in 1993ish.

Didn't realize how bad they make Klipsch sound until I hooked them up to a Sunfire amp.

I agree that you should never hook up that amp to another speaker that you have ANY desire to keep, though I'd not replace it with any other ADCOM. I'm currently using mine to drive a passive sub. It works fine there (NOT KLIPSCH).

Seems that the efficiency of the Klipsch brand, really brings out the brightness in ADCOM, to the point of HARSH.

Good luck, maybe now is a good time to try TUBES.

My dad found online and local to him a pair of Forte II's for $325. He checked them out and bought them yesterday for me. I'll trust my dad's jusgement on the condition of the speakers as he has a pair of Klipschhorns, Heresy's, and Chorus II's. The owner of the Forte II's wanted to find a good home for them as he was just getting rid of them because they bought a smaller house and they need the space. He was disappointed that people were trying to negotiate a lower price for them, but was happy to sell them to my dad for the full asking price. If he didn't get those, my dad was going to contact the other local seller who had a pair for $500.

I may eventually repair the damaged Forte II, but the base is warping and I have no idea how bad it is going to get or if the cabinet will be rapairable.

As for the amps, I am removing the Adcom GFA-565's from my setup. Until I can get a new amp, I'm going to use the Adcom GFA-555II, which I have not seen any reports of causing a speaker fire and that the 565's replaced. It has been a while since I have looked at amps. Any recommendations on an amp that will make the Forte II's sound good?

Maybe this is a good thing, if the burned up Forte doesn't come back around, Now you have a PERFECT match center channel to your new set that's coming.

I think that if you place the speaker in the smallest room of your house (possibly a closet), with a good de-humidifier and leave it for a couple of months, you'd be suprised how good the cabinet will be. Meanwhile you could keep an eye on Ebay for replacement parts on the cheap. Or, if you decide to sell the cabinet, it'll be worth more once it's dried out.

As far as amps go, My opinion is limited, but I like Sunfire best (rather expensive compared to ADCOM). I've recently tried mid-90's pioneer (not so good), pretty colored and muddy sounding, 80's sansui sounds real good, though not enough head room to really make them talk.

If you plan to stay two channel, I've recently got the bug to try to hunt up a used Scott 299B. I hear that there awsome with extended heritage.

If there is still water in the cabinet then I think it is done....

James

Nope, no water in the cabinet. At least no visible water. The day after, I sued a shop vac on the inside of the cabinet. There were a few damp spots, but no standing water inside. I used the shop vac on the damp spots to help dry them and it seemed OK. The next day, I saw the warping - it's all in the base.