Jubilee Guys

Merging (to me) implies the wavefronts combining into a single cohesive wavefront, and I don't think that's happening until you get further back. I think that picture shows where the coverage "overlaps". I'm not trying to nitpick...just wondering if we're speaking the same language.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What about the proverbial sub sitting over in the corner? Isn't there some frequency dependency in all of this?

Or does time alignment of the drivers (via delay) strongly affect "convergence distance"?

Chris

I thought Dean's discussion was about the two widely distant mouths of the Jubilee bin, is there some optimal distance for those waves to 'merge'? Does toeing in the speakers toward the listening position reduce any time delay between the two mouths of the bass horn, etc?

Mike- good stuff there, I need to do some tweaking. My Jubilees sit inside my Khorns so are about 5 feet from corners, about 10 feet center to center from each other. I do have them all on a long wall with myself positioned about 1' from the opposite wall. LF is sounding tight.

Michael

Here was an example chart Roy posted long ago to help visualize the minimum distance from were individual horn's responses merge together if the polars are well controlled constant coverage such as exhibited by the K402.

mike tn

Mike, is that drawing meant to be illustrative or actual? I find it hard to believe that all three of those components have identical vertical dispersion characteristics (as demonstrated by the parallel lines). I wonder what the figure would be for the KHJ/K402 setup? Probably close to the same?

Doc, remember our LSI listening tests outdoors? Almost everyone agrees that there is some magic that occurs at about 20 feet where the sound just 'gels' and appears to come from a single point source. Maybe this has something to do with the time misalignment of LSI and that the relative arrival times just don't matter at that distance? At any rate, we have Jubilees and Crowns here and a BIG backyard for you to do measurements from. Come on down some time and let's check it out. I'd also be intersted in you 'Doc-ing' my PEQ curves to fit my room and listening tastes.

I'd also be intersted in you 'Doc-ing' my PEQ curves to fit my room and listening tastes.

So you want him to be a "Doc-er"? Will he need the vocabulary of a Doc-worker?

More seriously, does time-alignment (via Dx or other means) make a difference to the distance at which the LF and HF sound gels? I wonder if anyone has ever tested this?

does time-alignment (via Dx or other means) make a difference to the distance at which the LF and HF sound gels? I wonder if anyone has ever tested this?

I've never tested it but I personally think it does.

I was flabbergasted at how much more "liquid" (trying to sound audiophile'ish) my Khorns sounded when I was standing 25' away from them (same room area as room opens up to the foyer)

There was a distinct improvement in their lushness when you were over there as contrasted to being say, 10' away from them.

The Jubilees in my situation, do NOT suffer from this difference in sound quality. They sound essentially the same at 10' as they do at 25'. Let me put it differently since there might be a small difference.... my Jubilees do NOT have the disparity of sound change that my Khorns had when going from 10 to 25' away.

I think being a 2-way helps bring the sound together closer/sooner and I think the time delay also helps bring it all into focus.

I talked to someone last night and he suggested that with them being 2-way and time aligned that they were in minimum phase coherence (or something like that..... all this phase talk always confuses me)

• 6 months later...

Yeah I was wondering if you guys were going to shut up long enough to hear the speakers LOL. I saw that Brian did a good job of picking a couple selections from my Chicago Jazz purchase and was hoping you guys gave them a solid listen. Stop by any time you're in town Ben- you can put on the music of your choice and kick back.

M

Hey guys. Finally got to here a couple of Steely Dan tracks off of the Cisco Aja on Michael's Jubilees but couldn't stay any longer as we hung out in the shop while Michael got some beat up PA speakers producing sound again. I had to meet my wife and girls to take our youngest daughter to basketball practice.

The right side sounded quite a bit louder and not quite right. Michale descibed the vocals as kind of shouty and I couldn't think of a better term. Seems he's still not turned the EQ on in the right channel. Compared left and right in mono and the left was much better.. smoother ... more right. Hopefully he'll have the EQ turned on in the right channel. Requires that he hook the Crown XTi driving it up to his computer and turn on the EQ.

So if you think they sounded good in June - wait until both are properly eq'd. Much better. Yes there is some hiss from the XTi (or somewhere) if one is close to a speaker but not sure it can be heard in the listening position.

Maybe next time I visit we'll be able to finish the album. That said, it's not like his shop is devoid of good musical reproduction apparati.

Now we just need to get him out of his shop more. I think he said he's rarely listened to the Jubilees much for a month. lol

• 1 year later...

I know it's been awhile since the last post on this thread, but I figure this is as good a place as any to find a good concentration of Jub owners (which will include myself shortly). My question is on active crossovers: I know a lot use the XTi's and others use the Dx38 or even the DC-one. I'll be running a JubScala Center as well in my surround setup, and the Ashly Protea processors feature 3 in, 6 out, negating the need to buy multiple processors (a bonus I would think). Has anybody tried anything other than XTi/EV stuff? Is there anything about the Ashly that should make me run the other way? Particularly looking at the Ashly 3.24CL-d with adjustable delays. Any thoughts guys? Lay some knowledge on me! I'll be running the surrounds/rears on seperate amp so no need for active crossover there, just on the front 3.

Will post pics of setup as soon as I get it all configured. They arrive next week, but I'm out of town for the holidays. Will get it all set up right when I get back in Jan, and would like to have my crossover in-hand by then.

Thanks in advance y'all. this forum rocks.

-Dan

Mark1101 has used at least one Ashley digital processor of the type (and maybe the same model) that you describe. My impressions his review of that processor was that it was a very good one sonically.

Chris

Settings developed for a certain processor usually do not directly translate to another. There are differences in the way Q is defined which can mess up the PEQ settings. The settings may be close enough to start with but measurements and adjustments will need to be done to sound as good as the processor for which the settings were developed.

I have an Ashly 4.8SP, which is 4 in x 8 out. It is excellent for a K402 application. I've had it quite a while and it still operates perfectly.

I would be careful on the older Ashly models. Some only allow input/output routing for 2-way systems and so can't run a 3-way or 4-way system conventionally even though they SAY they have 3 or 4 outputs. You need to call Ashly tech support. They are helpful and you will get a quick answer.

The only issue I have had is that the Ashly EQ is not capable of implementing Roy's settings directly. However the unit is fully capable of successfully EQing the K402 horn and can very closely replicate Roy's settings with the way it operates.

Actually, scratch that question/issue altogether. Scored a pair of Dx38s cheap (relatively) so looks like I'll be sticking to that route. Been a good day! Thank you all for the input though. Also have bass-bin and surround/rear amp issue solved, so all that really remains (the final piece!) is what amp to pair with the 402s? Will have TAD drivers someday (if they ever arrive) but K69s for the next couple of months. I'm sure there have been several combinations tried. Any recommendations here? Music above all, but occasional HT use as well. Don't want to break the bank, but also want to get it right. I'm guessing that would put max budget at +/- 2k...flexible limit. Used almost a certainty. A'gon is flooded w/ amps right now it's a buyer's market. It's all coming together [:)] this has been a FUN journey thus far.

I don't remember the whats & the why's but, from what I remember, when Klipsch gets a Dx38, they immediately take it apart and do the grounding mod to it.

soldering a wire from the ground post to the chassis (or something.... let one of the guys who know explain, don't do what I say)

I don't remember exactly what it was to fix or prevent.... maybe someone will explain that as well.

congrats on the new toys!!!

Actually, scratch that question/issue altogether. Scored a pair of Dx38s cheap (relatively) so looks like I'll be sticking to that route. Been a good day! Thank you all for the input though. Also have bass-bin and surround/rear amp issue solved, so all that really remains (the final piece!) is what amp to pair with the 402s? Will have TAD drivers someday (if they ever arrive) but K69s for the next couple of months. I'm sure there have been several combinations tried. Any recommendations here? Music above all, but occasional HT use as well. Don't want to break the bank, but also want to get it right. I'm guessing that would put max budget at +/- 2k...flexible limit. Used almost a certainty. A'gon is flooded w/ amps right now it's a buyer's market. It's all coming together Smile this has been a FUN journey thus far.

You should consider a 300B or 2A3 SET amp for the 402. I use the 300B and Mike Beasley uses the 2A3, we both have the TADs, and they both sound wonderful.

rigma

Cherry face plate!!

Very nice I would very much like to see a photo.

Absolutely. That will have to wait until early Jan, however. Although they arrive next week, I won't be home until early Jan. Heading home for the holidays to deliver khorns to my father and leaving in the morning. He has no idea, NIB 2011 cherry khorns coming his way. He's wanted these things longer than I've been alive. I was raised lusting after this sound, so should make for a killer Christmas! [:D] I'm sure he'll be on the forum shortly thereafter. I'll call it my 2-channel listening room...1900 miles away from my HT [:)]