Ok, guys, I get the whole "Groupies" thing... Here's your chance!

Amy

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did PWK have an endearing term he used for fans of his speakers?

I like "Klipsch-heads" but I think we can do better.

"Groupies" suggested not just lose women, but people who may just be following a fad because it's the "in" thing. Chasing fame, so to say.

Klipsch fans that I've known haven't been ones to follow audio trends and fads, but put their stock in quality sound first and foremost.

This might be long; but, how about: "A place where guys can read and write about audio stuff because they've gone deaf." Our motto can be "Nothing is safe here--not even your hearing." Or am I the only one that tests the volume limits of his speakers? I might be going deaf; but, at least i did it listening to great speakers.

• Moderators

"Groupies" suggested not just lose women, but people who may just be following a fad because it's the "in" thing.  Chasing fame, so to say. 

Klipsch fans that I've known haven't been ones to follow audio trends and fads, but put their stock in quality sound first and foremost.  

Bullshit artists? ;)

"Groupies" suggested not just lose women, but people who may just be following a fad because it's the "in" thing. Chasing fame, so to say.

Bullshit artists? ;)
Ding...Ding...Ding...

We have a winner!

My 100% vote for the name change is AMY. But, guess what, you work for Klipsch and are therefore exempt from collecting the prize.

But, since I identified the winner............. you have my address[<:o)]

Since the new website launched last week, I understand many of your are unhappy with the use of our term "groupies" used to describe our enthusiastic supporters. It was not meant to offend. We simply wanted to describe our fans in a way that is edgy and fun, and we like the association with rock music.

But because many of you only associate the term with "loose women," I can see where you wouldn't want yourself described as such Smile So this is your chance to help us and participate in "your" section of the website.

Please submit your ideas for an alternate header in this thread. We would still like to keep it edgy and fun, and something that gives our site more personality (we do not like "Community" or "Forums" - we are not a boring, stodgy company, and are tired of looking like one!). It also must be relatively short, to be able to fit into a title banner and not take up too much space on the front page title bar.

If your suggestion is used, we will send you a Klipsch prize!

We've all exchanged suggestions for clever names. In my view, "The Community" is the most accurate and the most noble. This should be used for two reasons.

One is that it describes the internal workings of Klipsch LLC, by Amy's many descriptions. The second is that it describes us, on the forum. That,is self evident, to borrow from Franklin.

Amy,in her desciption, has linked "stogy" and "community." That is not my perception at all. Rather, an active community is anything but stogy. Amy, sorry that I disagree.

- - - -

Some of my perception goes back to the late 1960s and early 1970. Not all of us were very hip. Yet it was a time of enlightenment and new ideas. John Lennon. It was unbecoming to be more "hip" than you really are. It was also abhorent to have commecial interests market stuff as being modern or hip for the simple reason that it can be sold to people who want modern, hip, things: or buying from modern, hip people..

= = = =

I here argue for substance over form. Intellect over fashion. "Community" over advertisement. Accurate descriptors of a a wide database of Klipsch fans over glitz.

Against this is the notion that Klipsch LLC and Klipsch forums will be dismissed by newcomers for lack of attractive modern hype. But Is there really any reason to think so? I think not.

Wm McD

Amy,in her desciption, has linked "stogy" and "community." That is not my perception at all. Rather, an active community is anything but stogy. Amy, sorry that I disagree.

I have to agree with Amy on this one. "Community" does sound bland and non-catchy. Klipsch.com is a commercial site, after all, with the goal of attracting more commerce, so every little bit of added interest or catchiness helps the cause. We certainly are a community, but "The Community" doesn't have to be the name of that community.

However, whatever word is chosen, it should be clear to the first-time viewer that the word links to a forum of enthusiasts, so I'd say it would be best to stay away from words that are ambiguous or meaningless. Trendy wouldn't be good, either, because it would soon look dated.