Photos of Iranian post-election riots

sputnik

Thanks for posting those, I am afraid the Iranian government has suppressed tv and internet access to limit the amount of information getting out to the rest of the world. Amazing that they were able to relaease the results of the election within 12 hours, I would think it would be physically impossible to hand count tens of millions of ballots that quickly. The game was rigged.

Thanks,a picture is truly worth a thousand words.I wish there was a concrete way to help people live the life they choose,all over the world.There is little as citizens of the US that can be done quickly,but my hearts with anyone longing for freedom,wanting to live in peace.

I've been watching the photos and videos on twitter and youtube. This is so amazing. Even if they don't get Mousavi in office the extremist have lost public support and the people want change. Sounds like a revolution!

3629820798_f2595c18d1.jpg?v=0

3629119935_3445170eef.jpg?v=0

Interesting and powerful photos. It's also interesting what the "mood" is in that country - definitely get the feeling "they" want change to a more free society.

However - it makes little difference who wins their elections as it is the Supreme Religious Counsel that really runs the country.

Tom

Interesting and powerful photos. It's also interesting what the "mood" is in that country - definitely get the feeling "they" want change to a more free society.

However - it makes little difference who wins their elections as it is the Supreme Religious Counsel that really runs the country.

Tom

Yes but the Supreme Counsel is walking a fine line with the youth and women of Iran. This is evident in the freedoms the youth and women have now. They have to give them something to keep some support. The more the public loses confidence in President and Counsel their days are numbered. Or at least I hope. I hope they gain some ground or at least keep those in power worried.

Tom

Yes but the Supreme Counsel is walking a fine line with the youth and women of Iran. This is evident in the freedoms the youth and women have now. They have to give them something to keep some support. The more the public loses confidence in President and Counsel their days are numbered. Or at least I hope. I hope they gain some ground or at least keep those in power worried.

Agree 100%.

BTW - that Suzuki in photo 32 is one bad@ss motorcycle.

Tom

Believe it or not, we're seeing democracy in action. There are many kinds of democracy, and scenes like these have been seen, if on a smaller scale, in many Western countries as well. People are expressing their dissent, but it's not civil war or revolution. The government is responding to some degree with official pronouncements as well as police actions.

Ahmadinejad may be a pretty unpleasant guy, but he's no Robert Mugabe or Kim Jong-il, either of whom would starve their citizens to stay in power while living like a king.

Perhaps it was fortunate for all those nice Iranians we didn't follow this previous leadership advice:

Salon: Much of the same faction now claiming such concern for the welfare of The Iranian People are the same people who have long been advocating a military attack on Iran and the dropping of large numbers of bombs on their country -- actions which would result in the slaughter of many of those very same Iranian People. During the presidential campaign, John McCain infamously sang about Bomb, Bomb, Bomb-ing Iran. The Wall St. Journal published a war screed from Commentary's Norman Podhoretz entitled "The Case for Bombing Iran," and following that, Podhoretz said in an interview that he "hopes and prays" that the U.S. "bombs the Iranians." John Bolton and Joe Lieberman advocated the same bombing campaign, while Bill Kristol -- with typical prescience -- hopefully suggested that Bush might bomb Iran if Obama were elected. Rudy Giuliani actually said he would be open to a first-strike nuclear attack on Iran in order to stop their nuclear program. END

Emphasis on nuclear bombs is mine. I s'pose it would be ridiculous to wonder if anyone is reminding Nuclear Rudy of that comment.

Wow md,don't you ever give that sh!t a rest? I presume you subscribe to the Jimmy Carter theory of dealing with Iran? Reagan said the USSR was the evil empire,the people believed it,it fell,Bush said Irans leaders were part of the axis of evil,maybe it's sinkin' in.Can't you just be encouraged that maybe somehow there may be light at the end of the tunnel? Can't you just comment on current events and spare us your political jabs?

Mark, Fish please take to a politcal forum!

Thanks,but no thanks,I don't like political forums,that's why I come here.If you will observe my first post you'll notice NO political jabs.But,I also don't feel I have to read a totally political post then not respond.It's kinda like when a bully at school pokes you in the eye(not that md's a bully)one sometimes feels compelled to respond,then you both end up at the office.I was the one explaining I didn't start it but I can't shy away from it either.Kinda like,don't start nothin',there won't be nothin'.

I came for the photos Mr. md,and appreciated the post of them,that was it for me until I saw you posted.I must admit I was curious how you would find a way to bash the U.S.,AGAIN.I didn't see this thread as political in the traditional sense,just informative,ok I'm done with any hand in hijacking this thread.

Hi JBL,

Judging by the words "Election" "Riot" and "Vote" and "Iranian" in the title, I'd call this a distinctly political post - wouldn't you too? Some of the comments posted within are also 100% political:

"Even if they don't get Mousavi in office the extremist have lost public support and the people want change. Sounds like a revolution!"

"However - it makes little difference who wins their elections as it is the Supreme Religious Counsel that really runs the country."

"Ahmadinejad may be a pretty unpleasant guy, but he's no Robert Mugabe or Kim Jong-il, either of whom would starve their citizens to stay in power while living like a king."

"Yup and the best kind fought for democracy."

Sounds very much to me like YOU and Mr. Fish ought NOT to have opened or read such an obviously blatent political post, so as you would not have been so horribly offended. Mr. Fish was so aghast at the sight, he had to take more time to post his own contribution!

Yes it is a post about elections, riots, voting in Iran and what the Iranian people are doing.

I agree with you they were very dumb statements.

MD what do you think about what the Iranian people are doing? Not what some US politicians have said or done but what do you think about this many Iranians facing possible arrest, some even being killed to display their disapproval of the election that just took place?

What about the photos?

Yes those are very powerful photos from another very trouble area in the world.

I don't approve or dissaprove of your answer but it is about Iran and what is happening there.

It is interesting that you say they want liberalism first then freedom.

I think they want freedom and you want them to want liberalism.

The whole middle east is a very troubled and sad situation.

What do you think will happen to the middle east once oil is not longer used for energy?