Communion Table

bluesboy

I thought some of you forum woodworkers might be interested in seeing some pictures of a Comunion Table I'm building for a local church. I'm building it out of reclaimed heart pine. The top will be 3' x 5'. It will stand 35'' high. In this first picture I've got the wood planed and joined.

post-15074-13819476904812_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Nice looking Pine, is it very hard, much of the older pine I had worked with had turned hard as nails?

Don't think we didn't notice when you layed it out you had turned the grain opposite on every other board and still got the pattern to work out, good eye.

Also great looking shop, nice plainer also, I have an OLD Foley Belsaw 12" thats so heavy I had to put it on a metal frame with casters or I couldn't move it.

Nice looking Pine, is it very hard, much of the older pine I had worked with had turned hard as nails?

Don't think we didn't notice when you layed it out you had turned the grain opposite on every other board and still got the pattern to work out, good eye.

Also great looking shop, nice plainer also, I have an OLD Foley Belsaw 12" thats so heavy I had to put it on a metal frame with casters or I couldn't move it.

Thanks dtel. Yeah this old pine is pretty hard but still machines well. The biggest problem I've found with it is high oil content of the pine gums up sand paper very quickly. I'm getting ready to head to the shop now. Maybe I can finish the table today. I'll post some more pictures this afternoon.

Wow......that is some really nice looking heart pine. When you see so-called heart pine nowadays it's more likely just old pine and not really the "heart" of a pine tree. Not sure how old that stuff is, but it almost looks like it's fat-lighter which had me thinking the same thing as dtel - i.e. that must be some hard-as-nails stuff. A pine you don't see very often anymore but something I'm sure dtel would know about is long-leaf pine. I'm certainly no expert, but those boards sure look like heart long-leaf pine.

BTW - very nice work and a a very giving project. [Y]

(sigh.....maybe one day Tom's shop will grow up and have tools like that)

Tom

God is pleased

Well, maybe not. I was getting ready to put the finishing touches on the table this afternoon when a Wilmington fire marshal showed up at my shop this afternoon because somebody left the security gate open and informed me that I can no longer work in my shop because the building does not have a sprinkler system or overhead ventilation. I can't believe in this current ecconomic crisis that we live in that somebody can just come along and take your livelihood away. I've been there for11 years. When I think about the speakers and stuff I've built there it makes me want to cry. I'll figure something out.

Sprinklers for your kind of operation are usually optional. Proper number of fire extinguishers, exit signs, fire doors, burn proof storage cabinets etc. are all that is necessary. The word "sprinklers" was used to scare you into a suitable donation into the hip pocket of the fire marshal.

JJK

• Moderators

Is this a commercial shop? Do you work out of there for a living ? Just asking it just seems to be a little crazy what he said, is it just you or do you have employees. I could understand if there are employees because that may fall under a different set or rules ?

Something sounds fishy, does someone has a reason to try to get you in trouble, or is this just a shakedown from local enforcement.

Were you up to code when you started? Typically new regulations cannot be aplied to you unless you are seeking a new legal right (grandfathered in). Like if yu have an old building and see a renovation permit or change in zoning, you are seeking a new legal right and additional requirements can be imposed.

But "usually" if you are not seeking a new right you are safe. It has to do with the whole ex post facto laws and takings. Check to see what the requirements were when you started your shop and if you were in compliance back then.