how old are these speakers?

Real long story made short...I was GIVEN a pair of Klipsch speakers. I remembered that Klipsch was a good brandname when I was a teenager in the 70's, so I took them home, after all the price was right. I have no idea what the age of the speakers are. Thought maybe someone on this forum could help out. I think they may be Cornwalls. Plywood cabinets, there are numbers stamped on the cabinets: 29w100 and 29w101. I took the back off of one cabinet and the info on the drivers are k-55-v with stamped number 204074.....k-77-m with stamped number 74114.....and k-33-e with stamped number 52698. I hooked them up to my stereo and they sound great. Sadly, my wife does not like them, says they are too big...any how what are these speakers, and how old are they? Thanks for any info. oh, yea, the cabinets are a medium light color, looks to be a walnut type veneer. The top edges of the cabinets have no veneer on the plywood edges, but the faces of the cabinet have veneer on the plywood edges. Other than then the Klipsch sign on the front of the grill, there is no other way I could have known these are Klipsch speakers.

Welcome Mr. Beast, Islander is right, pictures would yield your fastest answer, dimensions would narrow the focus. Start playing her favorite music and see if the SWMBO comes around on the issue. Tough to beat FREE Klipsch speakers. No matter which ones you have someone on this forum will say 'They ain't so big..."

SWMBO=She who must be obeyed.

First, have the picture on your PC.

When you create a response, look up to the top tabs. You will see "options" up there. Hit that and under file attachment hit "add/update"

Find the picture on your disk, scroll to the FAR right of that window to hit save (or is it upload?)

Once you do that, you then hit post.

It used to be that if you added a picture, then came to the compose tab, you had a problem with either losing your text or maybe losing your picture. I think they've fixed that by now but because of that, I tend to type everything I want to type FIRST and then go load the picture.

You'll figure it out easily enough!

being somewhat computer challenged, how do I post photos? If memory serves correct, I think the cabinets are 38" tall, 25" wide, and 16" deep...I can't measure them right now because I'm at work.

You, my friend, have a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls, one of the best Klipsch speakers they ever made. Please find a way to be able to hang on to them despite your wife's opinion of them. If worse came to worse and you did need to sell them they generally go for $600-1000 depending on age, condition, wood color, etc.

If you were given them for free, I would make sure to thank the giver profusely.

Other than then the Klipsch sign on the front of the grill, there is no other way I could have known these are Klipsch speakers.

They're huge, they're heavy, they sound fastastic. Those would be a dead giveaway right there. [:)]

Certainly sound like Cornwalls, Wuzzer. Do they look like this? http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/cornwall-ii-1-details/ ?

I paid $650 for a pair from 1987 on a good price from a fellow Forum member here. Do not be so quick to rid yourself of them. It's not like the wife can carry them out on her own. [:D][;)] Oh, and buy the guy who gave them to you a drink!

yup, they pretty much look like the photos in the link. I tried uploading the photos I have of them, but I don't think it worked. The place I got the speakers from had absolutly NO interest in them, in fact they were sitting in an old storeroom for at least 10 years that I know of. I just asked the guy if he wanted to get rid of them and his response was "those old things...take em." As I said, I recognized the brandname as being the 'speaker to have' in the 70's. I did not know they were still being made, or or still in demand. Thank you for all your responses...good to know I brought something home for a change that was not junk. Junior.

post-37479-13819477092528_thumb.jpg

Ah very nice, those are the same year as mine and they sound awesome looks like yours have different crossover networks(wonder if you could ask for different ones when ordered). I would try as hard as I could to keep them stick them in the garage attic somewere will she will forget about them, or like someone said if she wants them gone she has to carry them out(hopefully shes not a body builder).

GREAT SCORE!!!

Mine are CW2s, the next model after yours, slight differences. I would venture that there is a OO in the serial number for Oiled Oak finish for yours, same as mine. I paid $500 for mine and I stol them, like new, yours look good but you don't have any pics of the sides or top. Free, I wish I was so lucky, Do all you can to keep them, yes they are big but so is the sound!

Yep. 1981Cornwalls. That old and sitting unused for that long, the capacitors in the crossovers MAY need replacement. You seem to describe them as not needing replacement, so don't do it until you've listened for a while.

There will be a tag on the back with a letter code, like C-OO or C-BR. That will be the finish code. It will describe how they looked when they left the factory. What is it?