Got Tomatoes?

Tarheel

Season has been doing good here for Germany. Weather got off to a slow start but the last month and a half we have had high temp. and little rain. We have about 36 plants in greenhouse and out doors the ones in the green house are doing good and almost completely ripe. We have cherry, heirlooms and a special "bottle" type from italy. The ones outdoors are from East Europe and are used to bad climate. They should be ripening soon, hopefully mid September.

post-26058-13819498982738_thumb.jpg

You are all going to laugh and I am a little embarrassed to admit but i got my first Red Tomato off the garden this week. I planted about 2 wks too late...TOO BUSY THIS YEAR or just getting old. I have 7 plants that are up to my armpits with big green tomatoes. This weather has been cold this year. I fear the frost will come soon also so this won't have been a good year for maters. :(

Back to hydroponic cardboard tomatoes by November I suspect.

Thanks for the Kudos!!! This year has just been good for the garden for us. We have thusfar, 35 kilos Potatoes, 4 Kilos Beans, 10 Kilos Onions, 15 - 20 Kilo Carrots, 5 Kilo Red Asparagus, Cherries, Apples, Pears, peas, broccoli, 3 types of Peperoni (2 of em really burn the britches) and tons of herbs. life is good!!

Prof. Have you tried Tomatoe fleece?? Even on cold days they stay warm and ripen up really fast!!

Here is what we have been eating 3 times a week..

post-26058-13819498992132_thumb.jpg

Some great tomato growing among forum members. It's been some years since I've had a garden, but this is inspiring.

One thing I was wondering, I've read about some folks growing tomatoes "inverted" in a hanging basket.

Has anyone heard of any good results here? I've been having a hard time imagining that is really workable.

Some great tomato growing among forum members. It's been some years since I've had a garden, but this is inspiring.

One thing I was wondering, I've read about some folks growing tomatoes "inverted" in a hanging basket.

Has anyone heard of any good results here? I've been having a hard time imagining that is really workable.

DDee my neighbor has one of those but I don't know how the plant has faired. I don't think she tends to it enough.

By all means join us next season.

I have seen the ads for the inverted growers- heard mixed results. I am skeptical.

The problem I have had with inverted growers is the ammount of care you have to give em. That they are not in the ground they tend to dry up very fast and have to be watered constantly. Pack em in the dirt and let em grow.

I can assure you Tarheel they tasted splended! Cherry maters, Buffalo Mozarela, Olive oil ( we get it fresh pressed straight from Italy) and 10 year old Balsamico.

Yesterday we picked 4 kilos and cooked them down into starter sauce. Kinda like home made Ragu, we have about 10 half liter jars at the moment.

Thanks for the Kudos!!! This year has just been good for the garden for us. We have thusfar, 35 kilos Potatoes, 4 Kilos Beans, 10 Kilos Onions, 15 - 20 Kilo Carrots, 5 Kilo Red Asparagus, Cherries, Apples, Pears, peas, broccoli, 3 types of Peperoni (2 of em really burn the britches) and tons of herbs. life is good!!

Prof. Have you tried Tomatoe fleece?? Even on cold days they stay warm and ripen up really fast!!

Nice spread of garden delights Germerikan! I have not heard of the tomatoe fleece. Is this like a blanket? Sometimes a plastic tarp is laid ove the plants to prevent frost damage. This is similar to a greenhouse. Maybe that is what I will build.

Nice spread of garden delights Germerikan! I have not heard of the tomatoe fleece. Is this like a blanket? Sometimes a plastic tarp is laid ove the plants to prevent frost damage. This is similar to a greenhouse. Maybe that is what I will build.

Thanks, I don´t know if it is called that in USA, here its called a Tomatenhauben (tomato hood) or Tomatenflies (Tomato fleece) it is either a thin plastic foil with a lot of very little holes in it or what I have used it is like a very thin cloth. Protects the plants from many a critter and keeps them warm and cuddly. Here is what they look like.

post-26058-13819499237884_thumb.jpg

Well, now I've got tomatoes, lots and lots of tomatoes. And they are wonderful. And there are lots and lots and lots more on their way. One variety is called Paul Robson. It is a black heirloom tomato. They ripen up deep red with a blackish skirt around the top. They are very meaty and a little disconcerting. Having seen lots of surgeries to me when laid open they resemble a dissected heart. Very deep red with brackish dark sections in places. If you can get passed their presentation they are the most tomatoey tomato I have ever eaten. They are excellent on BLT's because they standout against the strong bacon flavor. Anyway I've eaten tomatoes everyday for weeks. I've given them away and served them en masse. I ate 4 this morning for breakfast. Still I have a pile of softball sized gorgeous tomatoes and dozens on the plants. The neighbor says we'll be growing through October here in Idaho. I have learned a lot from many sources and it has paid off in spades. Thanks to everyone here. I wish I could serve you up some of my successes.

• 5 years later...

I've been eating cherry tomato's for several months now.  I have to bring a half a dozen in my lunch every day just to keep up with what's ripening.  All my stuff is in pots as my back yard is small.  I've picked maybe 4 or 5 Trinidad Scorpions as well.  I also have been eating cherry peppers for a couple months too.  I also have chives and basil that I can't eat fast enough.  I started some larger varieties of tomatoes recently but they've just now started to flower.

• Like 1