Got Tomatoes?

Tarheel

Why not pick an additional hundred pounds or so and bring them to Hope next year. We can re-inact the annual tomato fight in Brunol, Spain. Preserving them until next April might pose a problem but you'll figure it out - you're a smart guy. Make sure you wear a shirt with a target on it ---

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richieb said:

Why not pick an additional hundred pounds or so and bring them to Hope next year. We can re-inact the annual tomato fight in Brunol, Spain. Preserving them until next April might pose a problem but you'll figure it out - you're a smart guy. Make sure you wear a shirt with a target on it ---

I'll bet you were a baseball player in your youth, a pitcher maybe:D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Second sandwich.  Toasted bread, regular tomatoes, more bacon.  A tomato knife by Rada Cutlery a present from my sister.

IMG_2151.JPG

Chuck, your bacon/tomato ratio is getting better. But I can still see the tomato through the bacon. Maybe your third sammich will be proportioned properly.

(can you tell I like bacon)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, richieb said:

I don't think I need to wear a target.....

They will be preserved in jars, with garlic, basil, etc.  But I wouldn't want to throw those.....

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

I don't think I need to wear a target.....

They will be preserved in jars, with garlic, basil, etc.  But I wouldn't want to throw those.....

Right on both points. A target is not needed and if your preserved tomatoes are anything like your beans, a waste it would truly be.

12 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I'll bet you were a baseball player in your youth, a pitcher maybe:D

Yes, yes I was on both counts. Pitched through Jr.College. As a kid I loved nothing more than a good snowball or even better a dirt clod fight. I had a pretty arm so there were few takers. And a good dodge ball game with those smaller hand sized balls were good times too.

3 minutes ago, richieb said:

Yes, yes I was on both counts. Pitched through Jr.College. As a kid I loved nothing more than a good snowball or even better a dirt clod fight. I had a pretty arm so there were few takers. And a good dodge ball game with those smaller hand sized balls were good times too.

Sounds familiar. I played for 12 years. I was always the starting catcher, and the second in as pitcher. I could throw hard, but lacked some control.

I was, and still excel in anything involved in throwing, snowballs, rocks, eggs, tools! I have better aim now:D

I used to come home from football or basketball practice and play baseball.

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Chuck, your bacon/tomato ratio is getting better. But I can still see the tomato through the bacon. Maybe your third sammich will be proportioned properly.

(can you tell I like bacon)

Bill I'm guessing you're a wealthy man who invest heavily in pork futures;)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

They will be preserved in jars, with garlic, basil, etc.

That sounds good but alot of work.

The last time I had that many I just put them in boiling water for a minute and put them on a tray to cool. As soon as they are cool enough to handle the skin would just slide off, then put them in freezer bags to use later, makes great sauce when slightly cooked down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

That sounds good but alot of work.

The last time I had that many I just put them in boiling water for a minute and put them on a tray to cool. As soon as they are cool enough to handle the skin would just slide off, then put them in freezer bags to use later, makes great sauce when slightly cooked down. 

Actually, my wife discovered that you can skip that first step altogether of blanching them.  She cores them, then puts them in 2 gallon freezer bags and freezes them until she is ready.  She then thaws them in a big colander, the skins come right off, and they give up a bunch of liquid which reduces the time you have to cook them down.  She then makes a great marinara sauce, a spicy Bloody Mary mix (which I will bring to Hope), and just plain tomatoes to add to soups, etc.  Works like a charm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Bill I'm guessing you're a wealthy man who invest heavily in pork futures;)

I wish!

Actually, my wife has been buying turkey bacon, says it's healthier:huh:

It's ok, but nothing like the real thing. The kids like it when I go shopping:D

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Actually, my wife discovered that you can skip that first step altogether of blanching them.  She cores them, then puts them in 2 gallon freezer bags and freezes them until she is ready.  She then thaws them in a big colander, the skins come right off, and they give up a bunch of liquid which reduces the time you have to cook them down.  She then makes a great marinara sauce, a spicy Bloody Mary mix (which I will bring to Hope), and just plain tomatoes to add to soups, etc.  Works like a charm.

That sounds even better, it's better if you don't try to deal with that many at one time, it's alot of work.