Khorn Trip

kuisis

As some of you know I bought some vintage Khorn and am going up to Michigan to pick them up Monday. Note to self take pens sticker off truck window. Neil gave me great advice on what to bring, but I was wondering if some of you might have some tips to make the trip go easier. I'm driving a 92 ford ranger with no cap.

Thanks

Tom

I'd bring a furniture pad (the ones movers use) to go underneath them. You can rent them at U-haul if you don't have any. I'd also cover them with the same and strap/tie them down well.

Congratulations on the new Khorns! [Y]

Dennie

Probably several ways you could organize them to ride in the back, either intact or with the top hats taken off.

I drove an open truck to deliver RF-7's to my son-in-law in St. Louis. I wrapped them with a number of layers of that 18in wide (I think) plastic pallett wrap. That way I wasn't too worried about driving through a shower, which I ended up doing. They shed the rain drops just fine.

Plenty of blankets, quilts, or moving pads are good, of course.

I'd consider, but would wait to see what looked like it at the time, letting the Khorns ride upright and face to face. Of course, they would need to be bundled up with blankets and snugged down with cord or several bungies.

When I went to Mississippi to pick up my Khorns I rented a 5x8 Yall Haul trailer. Local rental is about 20 bucks. It's also a piece of cake to load Khorns, intact, into the trailer. The trailer floor is only about 8 or so inches off the ground. Khorns ride upright with a bit of cord to secure them. Blankets, of course are still needed. I had help from the seller loading them. Unloaded them by my self with no problem.

When I bought my K-Horns, I had to transport them in a Toyota Tacoma pickup without cap, so probably about the same room as you're working with. Before I put them in my truck, I wrapped each component in a furniture pad (rented from U-Haul) and covered that in polyethelene plastic sealed from weather with package sealing tape (from The Home Depot). I was able to take the top hats off and get the bass bins and top hats in the bed just fine. I stood both bass bins upright, as they would be in use, and used some of those heavy duty nylon strap tie-downs around the sides and over the tops to secure them. Top hats were set in the bed where and how they fit.

Since then, I have sold my pickup, so now, when I have to transport a large item (such as my Altec Lansing Model 19s,) I rent a cargo van from Enterprise. It's reasonably priced, has plenty of room, and since all is enclosed, there's no need for a lot of time and expense wrapping things up.

Whether you need, or want, to go to all this trouble will depend on how nice the cabinets are and what the weather report indicates.

Have a great trip. Hope all goes well. Let us know how you like your "new" K-Horns.

Best,

George Roland

I agree that theyshould be covered, but beware of flapping tarps- they could probably do some damage to veneer edges.

If you're doing it that way, consider placing them FACE DOWN in the truck so that the veneer is protected against a clean blankie.

pliers for undoing the top hats from the LF bins. Small putty knife in case the gasketing between the two is stuck. REMOVE the side grilles for transport, they can be cracked very easily if the LF bins are tipped the wrong way.

For the driver, Diet Rock Sta, Pizza Combos and Snickers are the snack of choice for Klipsch Roadies! My brother Steve has a theory that the combination sloshing around gives you a stomach ache and therefore makes it impossible to fall asleep on the road. Steve's brilliant like that.

post-10755-13819486289562_thumb.jpg

I just noticed that the license plate in the previous photo has OUD in it. Can I buy an 'L'?

George's idea for packing sounds good- face to face with soft blankie between them might be the way to go in a mini-pickup.

And Tom- HAPPY BIRTHDAY (from another thread) Happy Birthday indeed!

Michael

[quote user="Daddy Dee

When I went to Mississippi to pick up my Khorns I rented a 5x8 Yall Haul trailer. Local rental is about 20 bucks. It's also a piece of cake to load Khorns, intact, into the trailer. The trailer floor is only about 8 or so inches off the ground. Khorns ride upright with a bit of cord to secure them. Blankets, of course are still needed. I had help from the seller loading them. Unloaded them by my self with no problem.

Daddy Dee is dead on with his suggestion. I have done this 3 times and not had a single problem. I also went to Home Depot and bought 2 sheets of 3/4" foam board to put under and against the wall. I covered them with U-Haul blankets and straped them to the wall. Make sure the trailer door is tall enough that you dont have to take them apart. Remove the grills is all I had to do. It is well worth the money !!

Tom,

Have you left yet? If not, when do you plan to hit the road?

I know you indicated that you don't need to "audition" them, but I will try to have them playable when you arrive. It won't delay your departure. We'll be able to quickly load and protect them for your trip back, unless it's actually raining at the time.

If it's not too late. The suggestions regarding renting an enclosed van or trailer are worthy of consideration.

I'm looking forward to meeting you on Monday.

I had blankets straps rope and tarp when I picked mine up in a full sized Ford pick up (f150).

Speakerfritz INSISTED on putting foam insulation under around and inbetween each piece accompianied by bundled newspaper.

2 bass bins face down along with the removed top sectios fit just fine in the back, side grills up in the cab ,tarp over the bed because of rain.

Wrap and secure them because they will shift slide and get scuffed from bumps and vibrations.

Given the size of the truck, I would move them with the tops on, there's just not going to be enough room inside the cab for the tops. The bass bin grills would ride in the cab. I would put the cabinets face to face with some kind of padding in between and underneath, whether foam or blankets or whatever. Then I would cover them with lightweight plastic, the really light weight stuff - painters plastic, I think it's .5 or .4 mil, or maybe even slightly thinner. Then I'd use the 24" wide shrink wrap and wrap them up tight so that you have one large unit, relatively rain-proof, sitting in the back. Then, use tie-down straps in two different angled directions over the tops of them, and put cardboard or thick foam or something like that under the straps where they hit the tops of the Khorns. Clamp them down really tight and check them after a few miles of driving.

That's how I would do it. Unless it's an extend cab, and there is room for the tops in the back of the cab. Then I would do that and just have the bass bins in the back.

Greg

" Clamp them down really tight and check them after a few miles of driving. "

I think I would spring for the U-Haul and get on with it. IMHO it is the only safe way to go. The KHorns I bought were perfect and I would have spent alot more to keep from getting a scratch or chipped veneer

Tom,

Check your email.

We all know that Michael Colter and the rest of the Forum members can't get too many photos. I'll bring a camera to the delivery/collection of the Khorns and document the process. While Tom is enduring the boredom of the Ohio Turnpike, as he returns to that town that temporarily holds the Stanley Cup, I'll post photos in this thread.