I take back everything I ever said bad about BB

Back in May my gas dryer died. I dont mind dropping good money on speakers, amps, guns,knives, watches, and other fun stuff. but when it comes to appliances and cars- I am a card carrying cheap ---k.I will squeeze a buffalo nickel until it ----s quarters. So I go to price gas dryers and totally freak out. The economy is totally in the toliet and nobody will discount anything. So I buy a solar dryer and some clothesline material and decide to stick it out for a deal. Wifey is losing her mind. I tell her - be patient honey - I WILL find a deal- I will not get screwed.So after 2 months of looking and searching the net I am in BB and I see this open box Mac Daddy LG dryer Ultra capacity with every imaginable bell and whistle know to modern man- 575.00 + a 50.00 gift card. I call the clueless sales person over and make sure the deal is legit. Yes that is the price!!!! I give them my debit card on the spot and call the old lady over to pick the booty up in the Tahoe. I get home and check the sales recipt. It does not match the unit that I got- big surprise. I google my unit on the BB website and it costs 1400.00. Obvious pricing error. And the store manager loaded it in my truck!!!!!! I LOVE BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went form goat to hero at my house.

A lot of times for those high-end dryers to work properly (reduced drying time, cost saving jazz) you need to have the matching high speed washer to be sure and get the majority of the moisture out of the clothes during the spin cycles. They generally dont get as "hot" as lower priced dryers because of this fact.

Nice score!!

We bought the mac daddy LG high efficiency, front loading washer and dryer for our beach house. They're MUCH cheaper if you get them in white! I don't know why anyone would spend an extra $500 or so for a red washer or dryer!!! We love them. The washer first weighs the load to determine the right amount of water (helps to conserve water usage) then tells you how long it will take. Same with the dryer. Takes a quick spin before estimating drying time. You can stack to save room since both are front loaders. We got ours from Home Depot, about $1200 for the pair I think. They also gave us a $150 gift card I used to buy a lawn mower along with 12 months of no interest or payments. I hate owing money to anyone so I paid it off in about 3 months because I was tired of getting bills in the mail.

Has anyone ever done a break-even analysis on energy and water savings for these high-end washers and dryers? It's got to be a joke. I can't believe anybody buys them for that reason. The more obvious reason is they are "high end."

I am inclined to think that you can't really get too much drier than dry.

To each his own. It's just funny to see energy costs as a reason to spend 3-4 times what a classic model goes for.

To each his own. It's just funny to see energy costs as a reason to spend 3-4 times what a classic model goes for.

Visitors sometimes ask why I haven't replaced my 25-year-old Maytag set. Because they work perfectly. Who needs trendy gear in the laundry room?

I bought mine because it was a good deal. I couldn't do much better with top loaders of the same size. I find it hard to believe anyone would pay $1400 for a dryer! That's absurd.

I have no idea how much water they save but I do know the quality of today's washers and dryers are not the same as they were 25 years ago. Heck, not even 10 years ago. Most of the cheaper models now have plastic controls and look like they wouldn't last 5 years.

• Moderators

Has anyone ever done a break-even analysis on energy and water savings for these high-end washers and dryers? It's got to be a joke. I can't believe anybody buys them for that reason. The more obvious reason is they are "high end."

I don't think you save money with the higher priced models but you you come closer than you would think. We have had the front load models for about 4 years now and it uses very little water which I don't really care about ( well water). But where you save more is in electricity, these machines hold about twice as much clothes as the older machines plus does it faster. Also you use just a couple tablespoons ( a guess) of soap and the washer spins so fast the clothes feel barely damp when they are done washing. They have many different settings or you can just throw in the clothes in both machines and it will weigh them and set themselves. The first time we used the washer I thought something was wrong with it is was spinning so fast i thought it would fly apart, it sounds like a quiet jet engine .

The only reason I know all this is because I washed clothes (towels) for my first time about two weeks ago, they had to show me how. [:$]

Your probably right about the cost of repair these had a 5 year warranty and when it runs out I don't want to know the price when it breaks.

Okay, dtel. To measure water savings, start with a standard unit and dtermine how many gallons per load it uses. Now do the same with the high end unit. Then, take the difference times the cost per gallon, and you will find you will not live long enough, nor will the equipment last long enough. 10,000 gallons costs what - about $100?

Now, those things relating to electricity you discussed. It takes a bigger motor to spin a drum (with double the weight inside) it so fast it sounds like a jet. So, you use more electricity.

What you can do is look at the number of kilowatts the high end unit consumes and compare it to the lower-end unit. I bet, with the description you provide, it is not that much more efficient - if at all.

As an analogy, I think it is funny how the market became flooded with diet chocolate bars.

• Moderators

I have to tell the Truth, the reason they don't want me to wash clothes is a few years ago I went the Whinchester route I put a clothes line under the back porch and hung out the clothes. It was summer and I could dry them faster than I could wash them. The problem was everyone complained about stiff clothes and the towels would almost stand up on there own and felt like rough sandpaper, I kind of liked them stiff and rough?

When I did the towels a couple of weeks ago I tied up a rope under the side patio and hung the towels, they were not happy, they came behind me and caught up all the laundry just so I would not do it. [Y]

They would never let me do anything but towels because about 10 years ago everyone has light pink socks for months. never got that sorting thing ?

Here you go. Here's some info. on one of the high-dollar front-end LG washers: $1199.99

Estimate energy consumption is 141kWh/yr

Let's say at .13 per kWh, that's $18.33 per year.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9282126&type=product&id=1218073821542

Now, here's the old, dependable work-horse $399 model, not even Energy Star compliant.

381 kWh/yr estimated consumption.

That would be, at .13 per kWh, $49.53yr.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8968003&type=product&id=1217029964564

At $31 savings per year, you'd need a good 25.8 years out of it to break even. That assumes it never breaks and there is no difference in repair costs.

• Moderators

Okay, dtel. To measure water savings, start with a standard unit and dtermine how many gallons per load it uses. Now do the same with the high end unit. Then, take the difference times the cost per gallon, and you will find you will not live long enough, nor will the equipment last long enough. 10,000 gallons costs what - about $100?

Now, those things relating to electricity you discussed. It takes a bigger motor to spin a drum (with double the weight inside) it so fast it sounds like a jet. So, you use more electricity.

What you can do is look at the number of kilowatts the high end unit consumes and compare it to the lower-end unit. I bet, with the description you provide, it is not that much more efficient - if at all.

As an analogy, I think it is funny how the market became flooded with diet chocolate bars.

Your probably right, especially since our water only cost what it cost to run a 3/4 Hp pump and the "fancy" soap cost more or about the same if you measure in washes. Also a much faster spinning dryer does not spin faster for free ! Kind of like carbon credits or global warming, or real change in the gov...mostly just [bs] !

The wife really liked it though.........for a short while then the fun wore off ! [:^)]

If it were up to me I would only have a old style washer and a clothes line, at least I could figure out how to work the old ones by just reading the knob NOT the new ones.

Well, I'm not suggesting that everyone has to fall in line with Jeff's Universal Mandate for Washing Machine Purchases. I was just pointing out that I don think energy usage is a cost-effective reason for making the decision. If it otherwise makes you feel like you got your money's worth, then by all means.

I could probably enjoy music without Klipschorns, but I have them just the same.

• Moderators

Oh I never thought you got your money's worth on them things to start with just in the price compared to years of service alone you get bent over,IMO. You could buy more than 2 or 3 sets of the regular machines for the price of these. [:o] I think that was my argument at the time !