Forte II's

I have a pair of F1s, they were my first purchase into the Klipsch family and they were a hard act to follow. They are now serving as mains in my HT with an Academy center, Quartet sides and KG1.5s as rears. It is said that the Quartets would be a better match to my center but FWIW, I can find no fault in the match I have. Perhaps one day, I will switch out the Quartets to the front but as they are OO and all three across the front at the moment are black (they blend in tetter to the HT this way also) but the sound is so good the way they are right now, I just don't see it happening in the near future.

You just can't go wrong with the Fort'e line, I now have Cornwall 2s in my 2 ch replacing the Fort'e 1s and I love both systems!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'd rather get a Heresy center channel.

I'm not sure why you'd choose a Heresy as a center speaker with Fortes. If you're willing and able to get a Heresy-sized center speaker why not go with another Forte?

An Academy has a 96dB sensitivity rating, RC-64 99dB, RC-62 98dB.

When Fortes were made, multi-channel surround sound wasn't as nearly advanced as it is now. I'm just glad that there are several options for a center speaker with Fortes.

2 to 3 DB is nothing. If we were talking 10 DB then there might be something to say about it but really, for the better sound match the difference is nothing to make any kind of a deal out of, in my never to be humble opinion anywayStick out tongue

I agree. I just posted the specs to show how similar they were. Nothing that a little bump on receiver's center speaker output couldn't balance out nicely.

No other center for a Forte II exists beyond an Academy or another Forte. Anything else is a compromise at best. End of story.[H]

I have owned a lot of what is out there (C1, F2, H1 and H2, 4 Academies...now just one) with the exception of the Reference line. I have experimented with; Chorus mains, Forte mains, Heresy 1 and 2 centers, Academy center, Academy surrounds, Forte surrounds, Heresy surrounds. The Forte II just might be my all time favorite speaker when you factor in things like cost, moving them with one person, looks and most importantly sound. If I had no gotten such a great deal on k-horns and had such an understanding wife, I bet I would have seven Forte IIs as my HT now.

No other center for a Forte II exists beyond an Academy or another Forte. Anything else is a compromise at best. End of story.Cool

I don't know, I'd say that a Quartet would be next in line after another Forte. Three way design, same midrange horn as the Forte II. I feel that an Academy is more of a compromise than either a Forte or Quartet.

I have placed a quartet as a center as an experiment before I gave the quartets to my dad. It surely does make a fine center. The point is here to stick with timbre matched speakers in the same line-up. Academy, quartet, or another forte II all are acceptable and the choice depends upon what is available and the space you have in the set-up.

I recall hearing that Paul Klipsch had Forte IIs in his office and was quite fond of them.

For multi-channel, I have to agree with the Academy advocates. I tried all three as a center, (Quartet, Forte II and Academy) and the best set-up was the Forte IIs up front with the Academy and the Quartets as surrounds.

My Forte IIs are in a 12 X 14 room and set-up for 2 channel listening. Though I really enjoy my Cornwalls, the Forte IIs will be the last speakers I ever sell. Like Martha Argerich, they are something special!

I bought my Forte II's new in 1988. Believe they were about $1200 at the time for the pair. I had no idea I would still be listening to them over 20 years later, and that they would anchor my home audio and home theater system. My brother runs La Scalas, which I love, but my Forte II's have tighter bass hands down. For the size of these speakers they are simply unmatched in my book, and I don't care what you have spent either past or present. Not trying to upset anyone, but I will take these anyday in a HT setup for your front R and L speakers over any of the new Klipsch stuff. DVD's sound as good as the theater, and shake the walls - and I don't even run a sub. My only weak spot has been the KV2 I use as a center. However, I finally have an Academy on the way to remedy that situation...

In 2 channel audio in my 16 X 14 family room, put on a good recording, sit down on the couch, and if you close your eyes you would swear the band is performing right there in front of you. They play anything well, from vintage rock to classical. For what you can pick a pair of these up for now on the used market, you simply cannot go wrong in my opinion.

I run a Denon PRA-1500 preamp with a Denon POA-2400 amp for power.