Forte II's

• Moderators

We have everything from Quintet's (5.1 surround in daughter's bedroom), RB 75s, Heresys, Heresy II's, Forte IIs, Cornwall IIIs, MWM/402's on our home and I have heard K-horns, Jubilees, LaScalas, LaScala IIs, etc, including the Synergy line (our first Klipsch purchase).

My all around favorite speaker is the Forte II. I love all the others, but for all round performance you have to love the Forte IIs.

I can't imagine ever selling the Forte II's...but then again...I can't bear to part with any of our Klipsch speakers

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just picked up a pair of Forte II's locally and connected them to my EL84 P-P tube amp. Wow! I never heard such a huge and rich soundstage like this before. This is my first ever pair of Klipsch speakers, and I'm glad I bought the Forte II's. I'm mad at myself for being so prejudiced toward Klipsch speakers. I attribute that to hearing Klipsch speakers auditioned with horrible amplification by careless audio dealers in the past. The Fortes have a very refined sound that rivals some of the best I've heard. Glad to be a member of Klipsch owners.

rhing that is just great to hear. Welcome to the Klipsch Forte club [:D] . You know own some of the best speakers produced for the price. Really I thank you guys for responding to my thread here ..My search is over. Im finally in audio heaven.. Actually Dtel is in true audio heaven surrounded by all those Forte's maybe one day ill decide to start building a theater like mr n mrs Dtel..for now im enjoying these in stereo

post-12368-13819524766308_thumb.jpg

So you bought Fortes instead of Forte II's? You compared KLF's against original Fortes? People get confused as they type and assume these are two in the same which actually there is quite a bit of difference between the two. So you were orginally going to buy Forte II's but found a good deal on Fortes? Thats great but thats really a different animal. I'm just saying.

How would you compare the KLF's to the Forte IIs?

amusing to answer you honestly. The Forte's are the only klipsch speakers ive owned that can sound sonically perfect across the board with all types of music ( anything). Powerful and spacious in movies.. The klfs are fantastic rock n roll speakers, with excellent kick drum bass..bass as flat and as it gets. where the forte s bass seems to be more spacious and seems to present a wider sound stage IMO.. side by side I prefer the forte's because the imaging is very pleasant where the klfs can sometimes be a bit harsh and in your face.

stormin I aquired these in a cash trade deal threw the forum here. I wanted the II's originally but happen to get into these for next to nothing. The klfs are some of the best speakers ive ever had, my point in comparing is the imaging is more pleasant listening to the Fortes..

I would like a pair of forte IIs ...i wonder how much different they sound than the I's

stormin I aquired these in a cash trade deal threw the forum here. I wanted the II's originally but happen to get into these for next to nothing. The klfs are some of the best speakers ive ever had, my point in comparing is the imaging is more pleasant listening to the Fortes..

I would like a pair of forte IIs ...i wonder how much different they sound than the I's

Oh I see. Congrats on the deal. You got a nice speaker there.

The II's have the tractrix mid and the fifteen inch passive on the rear. That tractrix is smooth as silk when you pour on the volume. Has a small sweetspot though but has great voicing.

We have everything from Quintet's (5.1 surround in daughter's bedroom), RB 75s, Heresys, Heresy II's, Forte IIs, Cornwall IIIs, MWM/402's on our home and I have heard K-horns, Jubilees, LaScalas, LaScala IIs, etc, including the Synergy line (our first Klipsch purchase).

My all around favorite speaker is the Forte II. I love all the others, but for all round performance you have to love the Forte IIs.

I can't imagine ever selling the Forte II's...but then again...I can't bear to part with any of our Klipsch speakers

What a Woman!! Dtel is a lucky guy, plus you have passed on the love of great sound to your daughter, how cool is that? Hey I was there with you when our jaws dropped upon hearing the MWM bottoms with the K402 tops, hand-tweaked by Roy in a near-perfect sound room. But I never realized you had so many different Klipsch speakers. Too bad they never put Roy's tractrix horn in the Heresy III's, like they did in the Forte II.........oh well.

Peace, Love, Beatles

Claude

PS: Did you see my new Avatar? My room is only 15x18 in the basement of my small condo but it sounds better than ever.

• Moderators

Too bad they never put Roy's tractrix horn in the Heresy III's, like they did in the Forte II.........

The Midrange was one of Roy's first horns he worked on when he started with Klipsch, he definitely got that horn right. That would have been nice Claude, also a new design along the lines of the K400 for the Cornwall lll would have turned that speaker into an even bigger seller.

Well it's easy for me to say this, I don't have to try to design them.

Being a current Quartet owner, would I see much benefit in upgrading to the Forte II's? Or should I look more towards the CW's? My room is 14 x 20, with the Quartet's in the corners of the 14' wall. A pair of Forte II's are available locally, but I don't want to upgrade without much improvement. Lastly, I am still eying a pair of La Scala's.....but they would not fit in the room as well as Forte's......and I am not sure if the LS's would over power my room. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Being a current Quartet owner, would I see much benefit in upgrading to the Forte II's? Or should I look more towards the CW's? My room is 14 x 20, with the Quartet's in the corners of the 14' wall. A pair of Forte II's are available locally, but I don't want to upgrade without much improvement. Lastly, I am still eying a pair of La Scala's.....but they would not fit in the room as well as Forte's......and I am not sure if the LS's would over power my room. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I have never heard the Quartet's so I cant say.

But since you asked for thoughts.....I would recommend try to get the LaScala's along with a sub. As good as the Forte ll's are the LaScala's sounds much bigger and has a much bigger midrange but less bass, that's why I said add a sub. LaScala's + a good sub is hard to beat, imo.

Probably the best thing you could do is try to go listen to the Forte ll, LaScala and the Cornwall and go from there.

Thanks!

I have never heard the Quartet's so I cant say.

But since you asked for thoughts.....I would recommend try to get the LaScala's along with a sub. As good as the Forte ll's are the LaScala's sounds much bigger and has a much bigger midrange but less bass, that's why I said add a sub. LaScala's + a good sub is hard to beat, imo.

Probably the best thing you could do is try to go listen to the Forte ll, LaScala and the Cornwall and go from there.

I concur with Dtel on this one. it's really hard to beat an all horn system, which I have, but the easiest compromise to make is in the subwoofer area where's it's mostly feel rather than sound. Hard to beat a LaScala for detail, unless you go for the REALLY big horns, like Dtel and I have in our Avatars. Those make Khorns and Jubilees seem small in comparison.

Congrats on the Fortes. There is no doubt that the tractrix mid horn in the Forte II is smoother sounding than the mid horn in the Forte.

That being said, some of us still prefer the sound of the Forte over the Forte IIs. The speakers appear to be voiced differently. YMMV.

Its close though and both are great speakers.

Carl.

Wonderful thread detailing this forum's admiration of the Forte/Forte II.

(This is my first posting folks so be kind :))

I have never heard either Fortes or even the Hersey. I have been a longtime fan of the 2-way KG4s. I bought them locally 6 years ago from the original owner and they quickly became my favorite speakers displacing Thiels CS2s and Snell Model Ds.

The KG4s had long been powered by a great McIntosh 1900 receiver. I then switched to a very powerful Audio Refinemt Complete integrated amp. I just pulled out the Complete and installed an Anthem tube Pre 1 mated to a B&K 202 amp. The KG4s NEVER sound better. My wife came into the living room humming the music I was playing, that led to toe-tapping and eventually she got up and danced! All good.

Here is the question that I'm hoping will draw upon the forum's collective experience:

How do the KG4s compare to the Fortes? How do the KG4s compare to the Herseys?

Thanks in advance to those who care to share.

Be well

Rob

yes dtel i agree. La scalas plus a sub is a monster of a system..But also consider 5x's the space it takes in the living room and 3-4x's the cost of the forte's. For me its the forte's ...Hereseys are too low to the ground and cornwalls are too fat and bukly, nothing newer can image like fortes.. The fortes dont only make great sound but make sense for space and apperance + cost[:P]

Welcome to the forum smaltalk! ive never heard the kg4's but ive read there great speakers. Im sure someone here can give u a comparison in sound.

user_IsOffline.gif cigaraci thank you for your input. I would love to hear the II's. I do like the sound of the tratrix horn from my KG speakers. Although I have a serious question here I need to know...If you were to upgrade both the I and the II to crites titanium diaframes would exponential and tratrix then become the same sound ? SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS!

I actually picked up my Fortés as an upgrade to KG4s. The KG4 is a solid speaker but the Forté is a big upgrade all around in my experience. The bass is fairly comparable until you get pretty low, and you'll get a lot of volume out of either. The 4 didn't image as well (KG2s were better than the 4s for me here). The biggest thing you'll notice is the KG's having a response 'hole' vs. the 3 ways.

To their credit though, they are easier to set up in the room (and the 2's easier still). My Fortés sound amazing but only after a bit of work getting them sorted right. They can just as easily sound horrible if you position them wrong. Similarly, my KG2/KG4 were much more flattering of sources and components.

I'm as big a Forté fan as you're likely to find - I like them better than any LaScala or KHorn setup I've heard mostly due to how preciesly they image. My first good speakers were ALR-Jordan mini sats that made me love that. Most larger speakers can't match them in terms of building a 'stage'. The Forté does, and can blow your face off too :)

Thanks guys...

OK. So it sounds like I need to go the LS route, even if they may not fit in the room as well as Forte's. Further, the LS's I'm looking at have the AL type crossovers....is this OK, or should I look for the AA type crossover (seems I have seen more favorable discussion surrounding the AA types)? Lastly, what would be a good sub for me to pick up that would match well with the LS's.....around $500 or so? I would favor a tighter and more detailed bass.....mostly used for music. Thanks for your input!

Greg