Forte II's

Sweet,

I used to have a (don't laugh) Volvo 240 station wagon that I turbocharged with a combination of factory parts and custom order from swedish rally suppliers.

I had a 10.3:1 static CR and ended up only running 15psi.

It had a ford powerstroke IC off a 7.3 liter stuffed in the front end in place of a regular grille, kept IAT nice and low.

Below, getting ready for a run around the track at Taladega Grand Prix.

2006_0801SE500302.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys...

OK. So it sounds like I need to go the LS route, even if they may not fit in the room as well as Forte's. Further, the LS's I'm looking at have the AL type crossovers....is this OK, or should I look for the AA type crossover (seems I have seen more favorable discussion surrounding the AA types)? Lastly, what would be a good sub for me to pick up that would match well with the LS's.....around $500 or so? I would favor a tighter and more detailed bass.....mostly used for music. Thanks for your input!

Greg

For $500 you can buy my Khorn bass clones and use those as subs behind the LaScalas, or my MWM clonses. No problem keeping up with a LaScala then for sure. Where are you located?

OK, time to chime back in here. I posted my thoughts on the Forte ll back on page 3 (I think) of this thread the first time around. You could say I am biased on this speaker since I have owned it for more than 20 years now. But I wanted to add a couple thoughts that might be relative for those who might be considering the Forte ll vs. another speaker.

Believe me when I say again (first in my original post) that NO WAY did I think I would still be listening to these speakers 20 years after I purchased them new in 1988. And that would be from the perspective of 2 channel audio, I certainly had no idea they would anchor my HT setup as well.

I have listened to plenty of speakers in my lifetime, and have played with La Scalas and even the mighty Khorns. At times I have been tempted to wander into that sickness that we all suffer from occasionally in the audio world, that being there must be something out there that sounds better than what we currently own. However, I have never found anything I like better in my application than the Forte lls, and that is why they still sit in my family room. Now, if I was going to DJ a dance in an auditorium, then bring on the La Scalas and the Khorns, but for me they are both impractical for my family room, and for many of you they will be as well because of the space requirement. Not to mention the cost difference. My brother has LS in his HT setup, but I will tell you honestly that my Forte lls walk all over them on bass response and I even like the F2 imaging better in a family room setting. I think LS need a much larger room than a home can provide before they can really sing.

Some great comments here so far. Definately agree that there is only one center channel for the F2's, and that is the Academy. Mine sits below my LCD tilted slightly upward, and movies are as fun as the theater. They are harder to find out there, but can still be found. I have added a Sub on loan from a friend, not that I thought it was needed, but it became available and has added a deeper resonance to what already was very tight bass.

When you consider the footprint of the F2, the imaging they provide, and the price you can pick them up for now on the used market, they are in my opinion one of the best options available to anchor a HT/2 channel audio system setup for someone who might be out test driving. One could very easily end up spending a lot more and end up with a lot less. These speakers have an amazing ability to play anything well, from the latest digital download of hard rock to a classical orchestra. They hit hard when they need to, but the realism they provide even at low levels is truely amazing.

I would like to see one of the audio magazines do a side by side review of a Forte ll / Academy setup vs. some of the current audio offerings out there for HT applications. I think the results would be very interesting. Paul Klipsch was definitely ahead of his time.

Although I have a serious question here I need to know...If you were to upgrade both the I and the II to crites titanium diaframes would exponential and tratrix then become the same sound ? SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS!

No, the difference of exponential and tractrix between Forte I and Forte II is in the midrange. Bob sells titanium tweeter diaphragms.

OK, you all now have me backing away from the La Scala's and rethinking my current setup....which is Quartet's across the front (3). To anyone out there who has listened to Quartet's, would I see much improvement in moving to Forte's? Mainly, for just the L/R channels.....and I could eventually pick up an Academy. However, please keep in mind that my setup is used primarily for music and watching sports.....maybe 20% for movies. When I first started to thinking about how I could improve the sound in my room (which is a dedicated man-cave), I thought that upgrading to Cornwall's or LS's for a 2-ch setup would be ideal (and picking up a good sub).....and slowly rebuilding a 5 ch environment. Again, I am seeking the best sound possible while staying in the heritage line of speakers.....I am looking for the WOW effect from myself and my friends. The Quartet's sound really good.....but I feel there is room for improvement. If my room size (15 x 20) would not support either the CW or LS (in the hunt for the WOW effect), would Forte's get me there?

Thanks for all your help!

Greg

Claude,

I'm in Little Rock. I am now unsure which direction to go. Either stay with my Quartet's or upgrade.....I am not sure what to upgrade to. I probably would only pick up a sub if I upgrade and restart with a 2.1 setup. I don't want to upgrade just to upgrade. I have been told that I would not see much improvement in sound moving to Forte's from the Quartet's. That has led me to considering a pair of LS's. I am very puzzled......

Thanks,

Greg

OK, you all now have me backing away from the La Scala's and rethinking my current setup....which is Quartet's across the front (3). To anyone out there who has listened to Quartet's, would I see much improvement in moving to Forte's? Mainly, for just the L/R channels.....and I could eventually pick up an Academy. However, please keep in mind that my setup is used primarily for music and watching sports.....maybe 20% for movies. When I first started to thinking about how I could improve the sound in my room (which is a dedicated man-cave), I thought that upgrading to Cornwall's or LS's for a 2-ch setup would be ideal (and picking up a good sub).....and slowly rebuilding a 5 ch environment. Again, I am seeking the best sound possible while staying in the heritage line of speakers.....I am looking for the WOW effect from myself and my friends. The Quartet's sound really good.....but I feel there is room for improvement. If my room size (15 x 20) would not support either the CW or LS (in the hunt for the WOW effect), would Forte's get me there?

Thanks for all your help!

Greg

Hi Greg,

I would think the most notable difference you will experience with the Forte II (you didn't specify Forte or Forte ll, there is a difference) vs. your Quartets will be a much improved bass response. Not sure if you would see a 'notable' difference with the Forte.

Michael

• Moderators

Again, I am seeking the best sound possible while staying in the heritage line of speakers.....I am looking for the WOW effect from myself and my friends

You have Quartet's now, Forte ll's would be better but it may be a big enough change to really give you that "WOW Effect" your looking for. Quartets to LaScalas will definitely make you and your friends go WOW, guaranteed.

Now the LaScalas will have less bass for sure but it will be a really tight bass, depending on how much bass you like a sub may be required especially for movies for sure. LaScalas sound totally different from Quartets or Fortes, the Quartet can make a good center for Fortes because the sound similar. The LaScala has a completely different midrange than the Quartet of the Forte, it has the midrange of the Khorn and I think the Belle, a much bigger and different sound than the Forte.

I have Forte's here now and had LaScalas here for a few months until Michael Colter could pick them up. The LaScalas sat on the side of the Forte ll and I could switch back and forth. Nothing wrong with the Forte ll at all but it does sound much different then the LaScala to say the least.

If your looking for WOW switching from Quartets, get LaScalas you will get a WOW difference. And as long as you don't overpay you could always sell them if you don't like them..........but I doubt that will happen.

I still love my Forte ll's !

• Moderators

Hogfan,

While I absolutely love LaScala's I personally believe Forte IIs with a sub will give you a WOW.

The imaging on the Forte II is remarkable to say the least. I have a CD that is used for imaging most Heritage products.....I have heard this CD played on everything from Heresys to top of the line McIntosh speakers and I assure you the imaging on the Forte II is close to perfect. (In my opinion the Forte IIs held their own against the Macs) I know some of you guys would think I don't know what the heck I am talking about....but I assure you when it comes to music I am very particular. I don't really watch movies a lot...so I can't speak on that front.

We have never upgraded any of our Forte IIs...all original....

Personally I want to know the speakers I am listening to reproduce the sound as close to perfect as possible....the Forte II does this job IMO, but like others have said YMMV.

• Moderators

rhing,

Welcome to the forum. Like we said Forte IIs definitely have a WOW effect. I said in my previous post....I have heard top of the line Macs.....for the price difference.....very very little sound difference even when the Macs were powered by Macs. The Macs just didn't give me enough WOW after owning Forte IIs.

Okay...so you guys can start saying I don't know what I am talking about.....I can take it.

Another beauty of the Forte II is that the are not real picky about amplification......As long as you don't use some five and dime receiver.......

• Moderators

Claude,

As always, it's great to see and read your posts. I am absolutely in love with my MWM/402 set up...dtel did a beautiful job building the MWM and of course mark 1101 and JC were instrumental in bringing our dreams to a reality.

I hope we get to see you again soon.

• Moderators

Forte2me wrote "Some great comments here so far. Definately agree that there is only one center channel for the F2's, and that is the Academy."

Or another Forte II, our center Forte II sits on top of the entertainment center tilted downward. Now that's a perfect sonic match![;)] I do realize space could be a real issue with a Forte II doing center channel duty and in that case an Academy would be the next closest.

Claude,

I'm in Little Rock. I am now unsure which direction to go. Either stay with my Quartet's or upgrade.....I am not sure what to upgrade to. I probably would only pick up a sub if I upgrade and restart with a 2.1 setup. I don't want to upgrade just to upgrade. I have been told that I would not see much improvement in sound moving to Forte's from the Quartet's. That has led me to considering a pair of LS's. I am very puzzled......

Thanks,

Greg

Well I did the upgrade route in my teens. Ended up selling my Altec home made speakers which had $1,000 in RAW components alone ($4,794.42 in today's dollars according to an inflation calculator). This included 421 8H woofers in a huge 20 Cubic foot cabinet, 511B Horns, 808-8a drivers,EV T35 tweeters (K-77 equivalent), which basically like a giant Cornwall...................... and I bought Klipschorn with a LaScala center. Had those for 30 years before uprading to all the large format components I have now.............so I have had ALL HORN systems for 32 years, including now for 5.1(have enough spekaers for 7.1, but not the space).

So am I a cheerleader for an ALL HORN upgrade? YES.

The bass horn rules in definition. In LS and Khorns (MWM being my favorite). There is so much musical content below 400 Hz., it's not even funny.

The LaScala has a completely different midrange than the Quartet of the Forte, it has the midrange of the Khorn and I think the Belle, a much bigger and different sound than the Forte.

I have Forte's here now and had LaScalas here for a few months until Michael Colter could pick them up. The LaScalas sat on the side of the Forte ll and I could switch back and forth. Nothing wrong with the Forte ll at all but it does sound much different then the LaScala to say the least.

It's the larger midrange as well as the bass horn. Also, the ultimate definition for the LaScala comes from having K43 woofers in them rather than K33's, which are a waste trying to get low bass out of them..........subwoofage required unless you live in an apartment.

Claude,

As always, it's great to see and read your posts. I am absolutely in love with my MWM/402 set up...dtel did a beautiful job building the MWM and of course mark 1101 and JC were instrumental in bringing our dreams to a reality.

I hope we get to see you again soon.

OK, so Forte II vs. the MWM/402's? Whatchathinkofthatlladypicky????

• 10 months later...

Opps! I just realized this is an old post I replied to. My answer still holds, but . . .

If you're patient you can find a pair in nice condition for around $300 which considering what you're getting is pretty much a no-brainer as to whether or not to buy them!

If you can find a pair of Forte IIs in reasonable condition with intact passives for $300 I think that's a steal! Personally I'd budget more like $400+ unless you're really willing (needing?) to wait for a super deal. I paid $450 for a really nice pair & drove like 800 miles to pick them up & I think I did OK.

I use tubes to drive mine & all I can say is WOW! I couldn't be happier.

Just my .02,

Frank W.