Dog killer reinstated

No worries Gil-Mr Vick the dog mangler will be back in the news with some other legal problem. trust me on this one. Maybe not dogfighting but some kind of drug/alcohol/domestic/bar fight/ or similar activity. Mr hidden weed bottle at the airport in not capible of staying out of trouble.

Just a matter of what, when, and where.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My yahoo page featured a list of the most disliked athletes in sports this morning. Guess who won- Hint- It was not Rothsberger or Tiger

Michael Vick???????? Bingo- Looks like sports fans have a long memory when it comes to the dog tourturer. He can put this one in his trophy case along with this prison jumpsuit.

I just wish the NFL would have (what I define to be) consistency.

One word: Odell Thurman http://bleacherreport.com/articles/256359-odell-thurman-finally-getting-second-chance-with-ufl

I've read enough about him over the years to wonder if this article is 100% correct.

The basic understanding I've read elsewhere is, he had some alcohol problems, perhaps drug problems...was suspended for 4 games. He had some other issues and got suspended for an entire year BUT, at the end of the year, he had to 'request' to be reinstated.

From what I understand, during that year he did everything he was asked to. At the end of his sentence, he requested to be reinstated and was denied, effectively putting him out of the NFL.

Not to be moralistic but, I personally do not the dog abuse nor do I condone drug abuse. That said, I can understand drug abuse being more of a chemical dependency verses beating dogs being more of a life choice.

I personally would have more compassion for the person who has chemical demons than life style demons.

If Thurman was drummed out of the NFL for drug problems then I think this carries as much weight and the punishment should be equal. Regarding Thurman's "violence", I do not recall having read anything about it so don't know any details.

If MV can get back in then I think Thurman should have been allowed back in. Then again, maybe the NFL is more concerned about drugs than killing dogs.

Moral judgements aside- this guy is the absolute king of the POS hall of shame. I t gave me a chuckle to see his name at the top of the list as still the worst after a year. People like dogs(me included) and remember this Barbaric deal- It is not going away. Funny- Most people I asked to guess today guessed Tiger. I could give a rip about what Tiger did. He is just a laughing stock as losing more dough and being a biggger dumb @ss.

No worries Gil-Mr Vick the dog mangler will be back in the news with some other legal problem. trust me on this one. Maybe not dogfighting but some kind of drug/alcohol/domestic/bar fight/ or similar activity. Mr hidden weed bottle at the airport in not capible of staying out of trouble.

Just a matter of what, when, and where.

To Vicks credit this hasn't happened. Hadn't heard a negative word about him until this thread got brought back up and this is about a survey? Also the guy is still in the NFL.

I have only read the first page or two of this thread, but in a way I agree with both winchester and sergeant - on one hand, this guy *is* a pos dog mangler, on the other hand, he has done his time and paid what society deems is his punishment, however wrong it may seem - I think the problem is the breach of trust. We on the whole expect our role models, our heroes, those folks who by the grace of the fans, the constituency, the largess of public taste or opinion, to at least *try* to be good people. We feel personally slighted by their transgressions, and in the society that we are in with instant media reporting, we somehow expect celebrities - at least those that come from nothing and have been made by telling the public what superstars they are, we expect these folks to be better than the rest of us, and when they aren't, we are pissed.

I think that in so far as a celebrity somehow gets a lighter sentence for horrible crimes, *because* they are a celebrity, is wrong - and merely reinforces the notion that prestige (if not just money) can buy your way out of anything - perpetuating the whole "cult of personality" that is the core problem with these folks and our perception of them.

Ya'll remember Clinton? Whatever you think of his politics, what he did or didn't do in office - lying in depositions, the public apology - you know what pissed me off? The fact that he was having sex in MY office, the historic oval office, the tax payer's office - MY house. He couldn't keep it zipped long enough to go to seedy motel, he had to get his rocks off in MY office - the one that my ancestors, my grandfather and my father and I paid for, with blood and sweat and taxes...the whole argument that these folks have "personal time" and are allowed to do what they want during their "personal time" while still courting the public fame and fortune that comes with our ticket purchases and fandom, to me, is nonsensical. A celebrity, one who puts themselves into the public spotlight for fame, power or fortune, forfeits the right to behave any way they want when the mood arises - if Clinton couldn't control himself for 4 years, knowing the scrutiny he was under - then that says far more about him than any crime he may or may not have committed. This goes for the one year Miss America is expected to stay clean, or the career of a football player (which is limited), televangelist, or any politician's tenure, - you put yourself out there, you sacrifice the right to grope under the airport stalls, to wack off under the bench in open court, to be a spritual leader of the nation while having it off with the prostitute of your choice, or to set-up a dog fighting blood bath with your homeys - when these folks break the trust, we should take back the celebrity - simple. Just the fact that we are talking about this creep gives him power by discussion - and we further perpetuate his celebrity - ignore him, maybe he will just go away. But don't praise him either; he had it all - and chose to throw it in our (the fans) face. Not applaudable, nothing to feel sorry for, nor worth the effort.

YMMV.

B