Start Your Own Feral Cat Colony

cmdridq

We had a mangy cat with no collar or tags hanging around the house. I voted for the live trap and a trip to the animal shelter. the wife said no- he was cute. Ok whatever- After he $hitted up her rose /flower bed, scratched the BMW and killed and ate one the doves that she was feeding- wifey came to see things in a different light. "Get rid of that %^%%^%%". I had to laugh. The live trap is the most humane way to deal with the problem.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We had a mangy cat with no collar or tags hanging around the house. I voted for the live trap and a trip to the animal shelter. the wife said no- he was cute. Ok whatever- After he $hitted up her rose /flower bed, scratched the BMW and killed and ate one the doves that she was feeding- wifey came to see things in a different light. "Get rid of that %^%%^%%". I had to laugh. The live trap is the most humane way to deal with the problem.

These stories always make me laugh. As all pet owners know, pets are like children... they only get away with what you let them. They are also extremely hard to train once they are an adult. If you wanted children, would you have your own, go through an adoption agency... or take in the stray kid off the street and hope for the best? [*-)]

Do you realize the number of pests and rodents that those cats were keeping out of your garden? Rats, mice, and rabbits are all kept in check thanks to outdoor cats.

Just be sure not to mistake a "cat treat" for a new potatoe.

Do you realize the number of pests and rodents that those cats were keeping out of your garden? Rats, mice, and rabbits are all kept in check thanks to outdoor cats.

And songbirds.

In the US, there an estimated 82 million stray and feral cats, and another 82 million domesticated cats. With an estimated rat for every person in the US, that puts the total estimated rat population at over 304 million! Take away all of those cats, and how many rats would we have then? Rats carry disease, and did you know that rat born diseases account for more human deaths than all of the wars combined? The Black Plague wiped out Europe because its rat population was left unchecked thanks to the near elimination of cats during the Middle Ages. The few cities, such as Rome, that had large cat populations were better protected from the plague. France and England which, at that time, associated cats with witchcraft and devil worship killed off their cat population and were therefore more vulnerable to Black Plague... come to think of it, maybe I should have two cats patrolling the yard! [:)]

I am here to squash this false rumor that dogs don't eat mice, I was helping a friend split wood today, a hollow piece we split had a nest in it, the large mouse ran off, and my friends hound dog, jumpped right in and ate all the youngin's.

Score 1 for dogs

I am here to squash this false rumor that dogs don't eat mice, I was helping a friend split wood today, a hollow piece we split had a nest in it, the large mouse ran off, and my friends hound dog, jumpped right in and ate all the youngin's.

Score 1 for dogs

I don't think anyone was spreading a rumor that dogs don't eat mice, or rats or many other rodents for that matter. However, the percentage of dogs that do hunt rodents are lower than that of cats, and combined with dogs leash laws make cats the more successful hunter. There's a reason every horse barn has a resident cat or two.

Score 1 for dogs

I don't think anyone was spreading a rumor that dogs don't eat mice, or rats or many other rodents for that matter. However, the percentage of dogs that do hunt rodents are lower than that of cats, and combined with dogs leash laws make cats the more successful hunter. There's a reason every horse barn has a resident cat or two.

I've never seen a cat take on a rat. Mice maybe, songbirds definitely, but for a ratter get a terrier. There's a reason dutch boats have Schipperkes and not cats.

Score 1 for dogs

I've never seen a cat take on a rat. Mice maybe, songbirds definitely, but for a ratter get a terrier. There's a reason dutch boats have Schipperkes and not cats.

Terriers are excellent ratters. Every cat I've had are great ratters, and my current cat is happy to bring home rats of all sizes from my neighbors yard. He has several man made ponds and waterfalls in his backyard which are a giant attraction for rats. As I stated earlier, cats (and the lack of in certain areas) had a direct impact on the Black Plague so there's certainly a long history of cats hunting rats.

Will you move next to me please? The little house next door is for sale and I promise not to make fun of your old Volvos. (As long as you bring those cats)

I'm in the market for a house. I can't promise any old cars, but maybe an ever growing Klipsch collection and some of those funky looking Thorens TD124s in place of the Volvo. [:)]