Anyone trade in their clunker for cash on a new car yet?

jacksonbart

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been following this story.........it is interesting that one reason the Gov't does not want to renew it is that alot of folks are trading in there Clunkers. But turning around and trying to Purchase the same size or type vehicle- only Newer ! Ahhhhhhhhhhh Americans and their love affair with Big Autos !

My thinking then is- let the Auto Companies offer the 3,500 - 4,500 off sticker to get folks in the door. The Gov't gets out of the Program and auto dealers sell inventory ! The Amount of money is what seems to attrach the Buyers into the showrooms.

But we know this won't ever happen !

I do work at a small ford dealership on their computers and I went in the day after it started and it was a madhouse. They said nothing was working and the websites and terms were all messed up...just a general fiasco. I fixed their computer problems, while working in the finance office, they asked me if I wanted to buy a car (both my cars would probably qualify...I only paid 800 for my ranger, and my contour is probably worth only about 3K, but I would be hard pressed to buy something with better fuel economy) I promptly declined and told them in this economy I feel it would not be a good move to take on a car payment when I have two perfectly running cars that are totally paid off.

• Moderators

The intentions of the program seem to have been garbled and the result is the terms are too restrictive and have little to do with "clunkers."

No way [:o] a program from our government that is not working and short of what was promised, I can't believe it, we must be misinterpreting the whole thing, that has to be the problem. [;)]

I'm waiting for the "Cash for Klipsch" program. All you have to do is trade in your old inefficient speakers. It's on a sliding scale so when I trade in a pair of Bose 901s for Khorns I get 10,000 bucks. Think of the energy I'm saving!

Thanx, Russ

I'm waiting for the "Cash for Klipsch" program. All you have to do is trade in your old inefficient speakers. It's on a sliding scale so when I trade in a pair of Bose 901s for Khorns I get 10,000 bucks. Think of the energy I'm saving!

I like it. I wish I had my old 83db Magnepans... think how much they'd be worth!

Russ,

Bose would not qualify, because they don't post there "Efficiency ratings"....................We just Know they are Not Efficient !!!! PS What are you smoking, thinking someone would "Give you money".................don't you know that you have to Pay someone to take "Bose" off your hands ?????

My sister took advantage of the program prior to all the hype. She traded a 1989 Chevy 1/2 ton 4wd stepside w/ ranch lift and 33"X12" tires.

She got a Pontiac Vibe. I think it's the all wheel drive model, as the sticker was a shade over 21K. She walked out of the dealership w/ her new car and a $11,600.00 difference. Seems like they wanted to deal.

I took my Porsche in for service last thursday. My service tech was laughing his @ss off. His brother works at a local Toyota dealer. it seems that they took in 11 clunkers and completed the deals assuming that everything in order and funds would be forthcoming. It seems that 2 of the 11 cars qualified. In several cases they had given the happy new owners cars to drive while the papers were going thru. They were in the process of attempting to recover all of the cars that they had released to customers prematurely. They also discovered that the car engines had to be drained and ran without oil until they locked up and could no longer be used. A friend of mine is caught up in this mess. He was told that paperwork was backed up 5-6 weeks. He sold another non clunker car in anticipation ofhis new ride. So now he is screwed. The dealer is not returning his calls. He is just a little POed to say the least. This whole thing is a giant clusterwhack. From the US govt.. what did we reallly expect???????

Cash for BLOWS??????? Too bad i sold mine.. wonder if car audio qualifies??????? Got 2 systems that I would love to give them

I actually own a qualifing "Clunker" a 1993 Ford Econoline van. I leave it at the house as my "Beach car". Good for going to Costco and allows me to go play golf or go fishing without stranding the wife without wheels. I only put 2500 miles a year on it, so I don't really need to buy a new car and retire my current ride, a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 52,000 on her as of yet. As ACE said, why incur current debt and or expend capital at a time when preservation of capital and savings are the name of the game?

I understand that the program would give me more than the car is worth, but to take $15-$20,000 out of savings to buy a new car even with these incentives seems unwise at this time. As the economy continues to decline, more and more assets will continue to come onto the second hand market. This will include the obvious things like cars and stereo equipment. Keep your powder dry so that you are in a position to take advantage of such opportunities.

Oh, and if you think that the housing market, which fuels consumer expenditures that accounts for over 60% of our economy, is coming back anytime soon, you need to read this article. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090805/bs_nm/us_usa_housing_deutschebank

My Dad was thinking about taking advantage of this program. The timing was certainly right since he was in the market for a new car regardless. He only has one vehicle - a 1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier (i.e. land yacht). And since he travels to & from the nursing home to see my Mom on a daily basis, I finally convinced him he needed something a bit more reliable - especially since the darn thing has started nickle & diming him to death. Sheesh.....recently he paid something like $800 to replace a cracked intake manifold (they're made out of composite material). Anyhow, he finally agreed that something a bit more practical and fuel efficient, yet comfortable would be a good idea. I think he's gonna look at a Cadillac CTS and a Buick Enclave.

Tom

My Dad was thinking about taking advantage of this program. The timing was certainly right since he was in the market for a new car regardless. He only has one vehicle - a 1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier (i.e. land yacht). And since he travels to & from the nursing home to see my Mom on a daily basis, I finally convinced him he needed something a bit more reliable - especially since the darn thing has started nickle & diming him to death. Sheesh.....recently he paid something like $800 to replace a cracked intake manifold (they're made out of composite material). Anyhow, he finally agreed that something a bit more practical and fuel efficient, yet comfortable would be a good idea. I think he's gonna look at a Cadillac CTS and a Buick Enclave.

Tom

Too funny. Nothing like downsizing.