Thinking of a new TV

wuzzzer

Best Buy emailed me a 3 year no interest coupon on any home theater purchase over $999. I've had my TV for nearly 3 years and am thinking about getting something newer.

What do you think of this Mitsubishi DLP?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9300455&type=product&id=1218079753886

Dollar for dollar its a lot of TV for the money. I like the fact that is has the 120Hz refresh rate and is 1080p/24 rated.

One drawback is that none of the Best Buys within an hour or two of me have one to be able to see. I really liked the look of DLP TVs when they first came out. I know DLP is being phased out but that doesn't really bother me.

I had a Mitsubishi RPTV before my current TV and really liked it. So far the 12 reviews on Best Buy's site have all given the TV 5 stars.

I'm going to poke around on the AVSForum and see what they have to say about it.

Wuzzer,

Here is an answer from the B/B Website.

A:

Both
technologies are a great choice for HD Sport viewing due to their high
refresh rates. The choice boils down to how much room you have for a TV
and how much you want to spend on a TV. If you are limited on space
(and if you are in an apt, space can be at a premium) then an LCD would
be your best bet. If price is at the top of your list, then a DLP will
be your best bet

Also - Playing Devils advocate- with the Ecomomy being what it is..............will you be able to pay this off within a 1 year time frame?

This thread forced me to relook at my TV Choice. Here is a comparison from B/B on the new 120hrz VS 60 Hrz Model 530 that I just got.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat13504&type=page&pageIdentity=searchDriven&useProductString=true&productString=1218076081627*1218064392605&unProductString=1218079755374*1218063829730*1218079754976*1218079342418*1218063831168*1218063831823*1218063831302*1218099256503&catId=

1. The newer TV is 1,499.00

2. My Model 530 is 1,149.00 at B/B.

3. I purchased my TV at WalMart for 998.00. Savings roughly 500.00..................

4. So again is boils down to Price and TV size for your Room.

So many choices out their it makes your Head Spin. Good Luck.

Wuzzer,

I have a 2.5 year old Mitsubishi DLP(57731) 57in. I chose a RPTV because I wanted the the largest screen for my $$$. When I had my house built we created a niche in the wall of our family room which is 54in. wide. A 57' Mits. was the largest TV that could fit. From any angle in the room it looks like an lcd or plasma flat panel.

I just replaced my bulb a couple of months ago(2 yearrs and 1 month). My only advice for you is if the DLP is the route you go, get the extended warranty and pay no more for it than the cost of a new lamp.

I almost forgot, so far the Mits. has been very reliable and picture quality is great. Mitsi's PQ has improved considerably more since my model came out.

If DLP is your choice, consider this before you buy at BB.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/458647390/mitsubishi-wd-65835

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-rear-projection-hdtvs/dlp-rear-projection-hdtvs/mitsubishi-wd-65835-dlp-hdtv.html

This is a huge step up and only $50.00 more. Vann's offers free ground shipping and no sales tax and a great reputation(no affiliation just highly recommend).

Bill

Also - Playing Devils advocate- with the Ecomomy being what it is..............will you be able to pay this off within a 1 year time frame?

Yes. For what I should be able to get for my current TV and from selling a few things around here it'll help pay for most of the new TV.

DLP tvs are a little to dark for my tastes but one that i really like is the HL750 samsungs.....if you can find one of those it is a huge improvement over most dlps because it uses leds as opposed to bulbs. I have been selling tvs for quite sometime now and it is definately one of my favorites. I havent looked in awhile but i assume you can find one for a relatively good price. They used to come in 61" and 67" sizes.

I only have 9 payments left on my 36 month no interest tv from best buy...I laugh everytime I look at it and think...I still have not paid this thing off and still have not paid a cent of interest on it...just have to be careful...you miss one payment, they get you for all the accrued interest

Just brought home the Samsung 640 series 55 inch 1080p 120 hz LCD from Best Buy over the weekend. Contrast is 80,000 to 1. $600 more than what you are looking at, but I have to tell you this is one awesome TV, and a pretty good price considering. My brother has a DLP and loves it, but it's not as clear as what I am now looking at. 2 guys I work with have Misubishi DLP's, 1 is a 65 inch and the other is a 72. They tell me the DLP's have issues with the projection bulbs burning out at about 2000 hours. Believe that's part of that technology, and perhaps the reason they are being phased out. At 3 hours a day, that's 2 years. Not the end of the world, but something to think about as someone will hand you a repair bill to replace them, unless you do it yourself.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. At this point I'm looking at maximum screen size for the money. Requirements I have for the new TV are:

At least 60" screen

1080p/120Hz

No off-brand

$1500 tops.

That's about it. There are some LCD TVs out there that will be close to $1500 in that size but not by brand I'd want to own.

You might get lucky and find a name brand plasma to fit your specs on ad somewhere, but I don't think you'll do it with LCD. You never know, superbowl is not that far away, and they all love to run great ads then, certainly on this economy I think you will see some pretty attractive ones - not sure how urgent your need is. Large screen plasmas are pretty power hungry (vs. LCD), so something to think about.

Check out the Samsung DLP line with the model number ending in 750. I am not sure how lomg they will still make these, but I just bought a HL-67A750 DLP.. It uses LED lights instead of the bulbs. So, according to Samsung the LED's will last as long as the TV(10+ yrs)

I absolutely love it. If you have the room for the DLP, I think thats the way to go. Much less $$$$$$$

Well, I sold the JVC to a co-worker, bringing it to their house Sunday. Now its time to decide. I don't think my wife nor I will be happy with our 13" spare bedroom TV for very long! [:S]

I think I have decided on the Mitsubishi for sure, although now I'm not sure if I should get the 60" or 65". My current TV is 56" so I like the idea of going to 65" so its a noticeable difference in size.

Wuzzer,

I know that you and I are Mitsubishi dlp fans and you are looking in that direction. With the big box store's phasing out plasma's these days and selling them at very affordable prices, you might want to consider that option. I know you want the largest screen for your money. I don't know if this is large enough or cheap enough but for the money these are good deals.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9280164&type=product&id=1218073533060#tabbed-customerreviews

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8793898&type=product&id=1205537515326

Bill