Any Dove hunters out there??

winchester21

Dove hunting is a major event here in the south. It is as much a social event as a hunting activity. All night BBQs the night before- the official beginning of fall. Lots of good food- good friendship- and cold beverages afterwards.

We have 20k acres leased. I have never seen so many birds.I literally had to slam on braked to aviod hitting a flock yesterday. Groups of hundreds - like gnats. Any forum brothers coming through Charlotte who want to participate in the next couple of months give me a shout. Hunts are typiccaly on Sat and Wed.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay winchester...what weapon for early season? Anything more than a 20 ga. is overkill IMHO. Early season the birds are dumber than nails and you can get your bag limit with a sling shot. The only easier shot is marsh hens and we used 410s for that. But you big city boys don't get outside much so go ahead with the 12 ga.[8-)]

Anytime Jay- That is a killer system for a college student. Hope you live off campus. I bet your neighbors love you.

Actually they did, I never really turned it up and the building was concrete/cement. Well when I did turn it up they knew it was me but they knew it was not often or for long. The Hall director saw the system and told me, "hey actually you are pretty repectful since I had only one noise complaint the whole year and now that I see you system."

TH- The national average is 5 shell per bird. I would disagree with the idea that doves are stupid and easy particulary after the first shots are fired. Have Not shot any marsh hens. Us city boys concentrate on canvasbacks. I am typically a small gauge fan across the boards. Will most likely use a win model 23 20 ga. side by side- english stock choked IC/mod. I also have a Perazzi SCO O/U 12 ga 2 barrell set that was ordered as a live piegon gun bya friend. Shooting real light 3/4 oz loads- it is a real jewel. I also have a 3 barrel set 20-28-410 Model 21. If it is raining I will break out the duck gun- Benelli 12 ga Cordoba auto with a synthetic stock. Come up here sometime and I will show you how to kill pheasants with a 28 ga.

Brac- will check it out and PM. there is a second season in NOV/DEC- Nobody hunts - it can be great.

No worries - this is my 44th season- have not shot anybody yet. The little yellow guy can tend bar afterwards.

Dove hunting is a major event here in the south. It is as much a social event as a hunting activity. All night BBQs the night before- the official beginning of fall. Lots of good food- good friendship- and cold beverages afterwards.

We have 20k acres leased. I have never seen so many birds.I literally had to slam on braked to aviod hitting a flock yesterday. Groups of hundreds - like gnats. Any forum brothers coming through Charlotte who want to participate in the next couple of months give me a shout. Hunts are typiccaly on Sat and Wed.

Same where I'm from too. It's a big event, and my favorite hunting season, because of the constant action. Down in South Texas, we get both morning doves and white wing doves, kind of like Arizona. Use to go to Mexico every year too, but now it's too dangerous.

Here's a pic from a dove hunt I went on in Namibia. Fun, fun, fun stuff.

post-12381-13819498942462_thumb.jpg

cool pic- I was stationed at Luke AFB near phoenix in the early 70s- friend of mine's dad had a bunch of property near Superstition Mountain. Some kind of agriculture deal. White wings also. We shot our limit in 30 mins lots of times. fun fun stuff is correct.[Y]

WIn,

If I get down your way I will definately take you up on a dove hunt. I imagine the lead is quite a bit farther than on a goose and the yardage estimate even more confusing. I might need to borrow a 20 ga. since I haven't had one in a while but I imagine you may know someone who has an extra. [^o)]

I bet doves fry up nice in the pan!

P Thump