Thinking about a new receiver...help me spend my money!

Pronex

Hey all, it's been a long time since I have posted here. Lately I have been thinking about upgrading my receiver. It's an older 5.1 yamaha. I would like to get something that has hdmi, 7.1, and auto calibration for around $500. I am open to any brand and am looking to get some opinions on what you all think would go well with the speakers that I have. Everything is listed in my sig. Thanks for any input!

• Moderators

Do you watch mostly movies or listen to music? If the majority is done with movies, Onkyo has a fantastic bang for your buck. The Onkyo TXSR607 might fit what you are looking for. It even has 6 HDMI inputs. Here is a Refurished 607 for $399.Good luck in your search. Be sure to check your local Craigslist. Lots of great deals to be had out there.

maybe the yamaha rx v663 - it is replaced by the 665 so you should be able to save some money, and it supports all the latest sound formats and is has pre outs to connect to external amp and it is what you know and used to.

But - if you want to try other makes then the above has it all covered.

Thanks everyone. Sorry it took me a while to respond. The system is basically for movies and very little music. So far I think I am leaning towards Onkyo. I am wondering if I should expect a big difference between the sounds that each brand of receiver will deliver? Some are saying to continue with Yamaha because it is what I know. Is that more because of the setup or because I will get a different sound from a different brand. I am leaning towards Onkyo because they seem to offer more features for the same price. Anyway, thanks again for the input. I will just now be on the lookout for a great deal!

I had an Onkyo TX-SR805. Absolutely awesome for home theater.

Thanks. I will check that out too. I also want to say thanks to you for posting about the C-3 on vanns a little while back. I already had a C-2 with my F-3 mains, but I have been debating about the C-3 for a while. When I saw your post I figured I would just go for it. I have not seen one in stock for a while and that was a great price too! I am actually very happy with it. It was more of an improvement than I thought it would be. I am not sure if it is just me, but I am hearing much more clarity with the C-3 vs the C-2. It seems like it is doing a little less to keep up with the mains. I actually had to turn down the center a bit, because it felt like it was a little too loud now! So thanks for pointing it out!

I was in the same boat as you and I've just pulled the trigger on an Onkyo 607. Delivery Date of 9/29.

There were some concessions (No pre-outs for the fronts, etc) but with my budget there was no way around it. Buying used wasn't an option.

Never been a big fan of Onkyo, but the newer models have been getting good press so I took a flier. The price was right and the need was there to replace my 9 yr old Denon 3801.

I've been nothing but a Denon owner in regards to A/V receivers so I have my fingers crossed that all will be good. (a little..ok..a lot of buyer's remorse going on right know.)

If time permits, I'll report back with my thoughts/concerns on the 607.

Thanks

JJ

The 805 didn't skimp anywhere. Huge power supply, awesome DACs, etc. It weighs almost 20 pounds than its successors.

Here's an 805 on audiogon:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1259074981&/Onkyo-tx-sr805-black-7.1-thx-r

There's several 805s on eBay right now:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=onkyo+tx-sr805&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=Receivers_Tuners&_odkw=onkyo+tx*&_osacat=0

I'm in a similar position as the original poster. I am in the process of buying a home theater set for my new home. I'm trying to keep the prices low and I already bought the speakers set 2 f3, 1 c3, 4 s3 and 1 sub 12. I'm now looking for a good matching receiver. I've had my eye on the pioneer VSX-1019AH-K which received decent marks on cnet. However I'm curious if the speakers I bought would be better suited to another receiver. The set up will be used mainly for watching movies. (my wife may listen to music occasionally, but she thinks our laptop has "just fine" speakers)

Please guide me as well, especially if someone has experience with the VSX-1019AH-K and the synergy 3s. thanks

I'm in a similar position as the original poster. I am in the process of buying a home theater set for my new home. I'm trying to keep the prices low and I already bought the speakers set 2 f3, 1 c3, 4 s3 and 1 sub 12. I'm now looking for a good matching receiver. I've had my eye on the pioneer VSX-1019AH-K which received decent marks on cnet. However I'm curious if the speakers I bought would be better suited to another receiver. The set up will be used mainly for watching movies. (my wife may listen to music occasionally, but she thinks our laptop has "just fine" speakers)

Please guide me as well, especially if someone has experience with the VSX-1019AH-K and the synergy 3s. thanks

Well, you had to come along and throw and wrench in there didn't you? Here I was pretty set looking into Onkyo, and then you throw out the VSX-1019AH-K. The Pioneer seems to have a lot more bells and whistles than the Onkyo 706 for a better price too. I have not heard much about Pioneer receivers though. Can anyone one else weigh in with some feedback on what they have heard about or experienced with Pioneer. All the reviews I read on the VSX-1019AH-K seem great. In fact I am finding far fewer things that people are having problems with compared to the Onkyo. I am seeing a lot of people saying that their Onkyo receiver was either dead on arrival or died months after. The biggest worry I am having about the Pioneer is how small that thing is. I wonder if its really capable of producing great sound all the time or will strain if its cranked up a little bit?