OT: Draft Beer

ace168516

For those of you that follow the 3 Minutes thread, you probably know of the adventures of my rediculous draft system I am installing in my house. Anyways, I am getting pretty close to finishing up the basement and only need one more thing...a beer trunk line from my garage to my bar. Money is pretty tight right now, and the thought of dropping $500 on a 35 ft beer line is not really too exciting. So I thought I would ask around and see if anyone here might have any sort of connection with a draft installer or person in the beverage industry. Could be scrap or maybe just some barrier tubing that I could make, however, I am not too confident in my ability to actually make a trunk that will be tight and insulated enough to avoid condensation running through my ceiling. So looking for a 4-6 product line with 2 glycol cooler lines. The stuff usually runs about $13 a foot, but any little bit could help...I would probably run 5/16 ID, but I could get away with 1/4 or 3/8 and choke the line at the faucets. Probably a long-shot, but just thought I would throw it out there. Thanks, ACE

Marshall...I have read almost all of your walkthroughs on speaker refurbishing...Greg's as well...you guys are my go-to guys on techniques for that kinda stuff...if you ever get to the point where you want one, let me know and I will let you know what you need to know...whether it be a refrigerator conversion, freezer conversion, cheap danby or vissani purchase or good commercial kegerator purchase...I have been through it all...even to my 6 line indoor/outdoor multi line, multi room system. I also have a large cabinet full of goodies I do not use anymore if you go a DIY route. I just got a quote of $8.35 a foot from another supplier for my line, so things just got a little nicer on my end, but still hope for a score from somewhere. ACE

I cannot offer any suggestions because my level of multi-room beer distribution involves going and getting one from the fridge.... but it sounds intriguing!!!

[note to self. subscribe to this thread before buying the workshop kegerator....]

Cool

I was visiting relatives in washington state and we were in their backyard drinking beer. a neighbor came over and had a beer of his own. when he finished, he showed the empty to his dog and the dog ran next door and came back with a new beer. the guy said it took the better part of a year to teach his dog how to pry open the fridge with his nose and get a beer out without breaking it. not sure if the dog slobber adds to the taste; but, i guess you could just pretend it is the head.

Beer in the line should not get nasty at all in a balanced system...the co2 pressure should be maintained through the loop if it is balanced properly...maybe the beer in the bar was in an air cooled system that would not be able to handle a long run, but I have a glycol recirculation system that will keep the beer at 38 degrees for up to 50 ft. Also, most bars may go the cheap route with some simple food grade beer lines...good trunk line is polyethelene barrier tubing with a PET liner (same stuff as a 2 liter bottle) so there is no taint from vinyl tubing. It is not cheap or easy, but I should have all the bases covered...some stadiums have trunk runs of 3/8" line with 24 products at over 500 ft...that would be equal to dumping over 750 beers...the quality of the line and proper balance and temp are what control that.

haha...no you didn't...an off topic beer thread I did not expect to generate a lot of activity. As for your post, a jockey box system and a cold plate system really does not apply to what I am needing...they are both good ideas...jockey boxes are nice for portable events...a cold plate system really has no place for beer...to properly dispense beer you can't just cool it before the point of delivery...beer is very sensitive to temp change and co2 will go in and out of solution with a few degrees. I maybe plumbing water to my bar, so a cold plate may be in order for a soda gun system...might need some help with that, but with a glycol recirculation system, I have the cooling part covered...was just looking for some help with the delivery system....mainly the trunk line. Keep the ideas coming though.

I was a homebrewer BK (before kids) and still am at heart, Prolonged temperature for beer I would agree is bad, but a momentary flash freeze before consuming isn't going to kill it. Storing it at room temp for a reasonable amount of time, won't kill it either. Most ales are brewed at room temp, only lagers are brewed at lower temps ( 40 to 45 degreee range) due to the type of yeast involved. As a home brewer, when you're making 5 gallon batches, it usually doesn't sit around very long...

LIGHT on the other hand, now that's BAD!!! Unless you happen to like skunk beers, then it's great!!!

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with doing what you're doing. I guess it all boils down to how long you expect the beer to sit around. Big keg or little keg. Few drinkers, or a party. Ale or Lager.

Sorry a little late to the party...been busy with vacation and U2 concert.

If you want a DIY project I can point you to some good home brew info where a guy make a glycol system himself. You would still need the beverage lines. Not much help on sourcing them. Have you tried MicroMatic? All things beer serving and pretty decent prices.

Here is the glycol home brewing info...pay close attention to the poster "backyard brewer" super helpful. I am sure if you drop him a line he will advise you.
http://forums.morebeer.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=33093&p=341980&hilit=glycol&sid=163fe51ba534bec3700c1f4189cf288d#p341980

Here is MicroMatic's web site http://www.micromatic.com/

Good luck...I suggest you start making your own beer if you already do not. Much more fun they buying and for the most part better tasting.

Thanks rplace...no worries...actually have the bar on halt until my job issue get figured out. I have seen the micromatic lines...just too pricey. I have found a few better deals, but there are probably better ones so just asking around. As for the glycol system, I already have a nice commercial unit...I have heard a lot of heartache involved with the DIY ones, so I ended up springing for a nice used Perlick. I would love to homebrew some day...with a toddler and everything going nuts, it is not going to be soon...but I will have a kick-a** system to dispense it when the time comes. Thanks for all the info and help from everyone so far. ACE